Preface - Access to Knowledge Revisited
20 May 2016
06 March 2018 (online)
Objective: To review and update the Preface to the 1998 Yearbook of Medical Informatics, which had as its Special Topic “Health Informatics and the Internet”.
Method: Assessment of the accuracy of predictions made in 1998 and consideration of key developments in informatics since that time.
- 1 Lindberg DA. Preface – Access to Knowledge. Yearb Med Inform 1998; 1-3.
- 2 Lindberg DA, Humphreys BL. Rising expectations: access to biomedical information. Yearb Med Inform 2008; 165-72.
- 3 Miller N, Lacroix EM, Backus JE. MedlinePlus: building and maintaining the National Library of Medicine’s consumer health Web service. Bull Med Libr Assoc 2000; Jan 88 (Suppl. 01) 11-7.
- 4 Mailman MD, Feolo M, Jin Y, Kimura M, Tryka K, Bagoutdinov R. et al. The NCBI dbGaP database of genotypes and phenotypes. Nat Genet 2007; Oct 39 (Suppl. 10) 1181-6.
- 5 Hripcsak G, Duke JD, Shah NH, Reich CG, Huser V, Schuemie MJ. et al. Observational Health Data Sciences and Informatics (OHDSI): Opportunities for Observational Researchers. Stud Health Technol Inform 2015; 216: 574-8.
- 6 Halamka JD. The State of Information Security 2015. Life as a Healthcare CIO. 2015 Dec 9 [cited 2016 Jan 9] Available from http://geekdoctor.blogspot.com/2015/12/the-state-of-information-security-2015.html
- 7 Zhao Y, Polley EC, Li MC, Lih CJ, Palmisano A, Sims DJ. et al. GeneMed: An Informatics Hub for the Coordination of Next-Generation Sequencing Studies that Support Precision Oncology Clinical Trials. Cancer Inform 2015 Mar 19 14 (Suppl. 02) 45-55.
- 8 Jorgenson LA, Newsome WT, Anderson DJ, Bargmann CI, Brown EN, Deisseroth K. et al. The BRAIN Initiative: developing technology to catalyse neuroscience discovery. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 2015 May 19 370(1668).
- 9 Califf RM, Zarin DA, Kramer JM, Sherman RE, Aberle LH, Tasneem A. Characteristics of clinical trials registered in ClinicalTrials.gov, 2007-2010. JAMA 2012 May 2 307 (Suppl. 17) 1838-47.
- 10 Wu M, Sirota M, Butte AJ, Chen B. Characteristics of drug combination therapy in oncology by analyzing clinical trial data on ClinicalTrials.gov. Pac Symp Biocomput 2015; 68-79.
- 11 Drazen JM. Sharing individual patient data from clinical trials. N Engl J Med 2015; 372: 201-2.
- 12 Advisory Committee to the Director, National Institutes of Health.. Precision Medicine Initiative (PMI) Working Group. The Precision Medicine Initiative Cohort Program – Building a Research Foundation for 21st Century Medicine. 2015 Sept 17. [Cited 2016 Jan 9] Available from acd.od.nih.gov/reports/PMI_WG_report_2015-09-17-Final.pdf
- 13 HL7 launches Argonaut Project to advance FHIR interoperability standard. Health Manag Technol 2015; Feb; 36 (Suppl. 02) 26.
- 14 Joint Initiative on SDO Global Health Informatics Standardization. [Cited 2016 Jan 9] Available from http://www.jointinitiativecouncil.org.
- 15 Friedman C, Rubin J, Brown J, Buntin M, Corn M, Etheredge L. et al. Toward a science of learning systems: a research agenda for the high-functioning Learning Health System. J Am Med Inform Assoc 2015; Jan 22 (Suppl. 01) 43-50.
- 16 Mandl KD, Mandel JC, Kohane IS. Driving Innovation in Health Systems through an Apps-Based Information Economy. Cell Syst 2015; Jul 1 (Suppl. 01) 8-13.
- 17 MacArthur JA, Morales J, Tully RE, Astashyn A, Gil L, Bruford EA. et al. Locus Reference Genomic: reference sequences for the reporting of clinically relevant sequence variants. Nucleic Acids Res 2014; Jan 42 Database issue D873-8.
- 18 Landrum MJ, Lee JM, Benson M, Brown G, Chao C, Chitipiralla S. et al. ClinVar: public archive of interpretations of clinically relevant variants. Nucleic Acids Res 2016 Jan 4 44 D1 D862-8.
- 19 Rubinstein WS, Maglott DR, Lee JM, Kattman BL, Malheiro AJ, Ovetsky M. et al. The NIH genetic testing registry: a new, centralized database of genetic tests to enable access to comprehensive information and improve transparency. Nucleic Acids Res 2013; Jan 41 Database issue D925-35.
- 20 Feltus FA, Breen 3rd JR, Deng J, Izard RS, Konger CA, Ligon 3rd WB. et al. The Widening Gulf between Genomics Data Generation and Consumption: A Practical Guide to Big Data Transfer Technology. Bioinform Biol Insights 2015 Sep 23 9 (Suppl. 01) 9-19.
- 21 Ferucci DA. Introduction to “This is Watson”. IBM Journal of Research and Development 2012; May-Jul 3-4: 1-15.