IgA Plasma Cell LeukemiaSource of Support: Nil
Plasma cell leukemia (PCL) is a rare entity. There are two presentations of PCL, primary or secondary. The primary or de novo form of PCL presents with an acute and rapidly progressive leukemic phase. This form occurs when the patient has no pre-existing multiple myeloma (MM). The secondary form is the most advanced form of MM. The PCL is a rare disorder representing 1‒2% of the diagnosed cases of MM. Median age at presentation is usually above 50 years. The monoclonal protein in patients with PCL may be IgG (50%), IgA (15%), or in rare cases IgD or IgE (6%). We report a case of IgA primary PCL that is very rare. Patient was started on combination therapy with vincristine, adriamycin, and dexamethasone. There was poor response and patient died three months after diagnosis.
29 January 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Bladι J, Kyle RA. Nonsecretory myeloma, immunoglobulin D myeloma and plasma cell leukemia. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 1999;13:1259-72.
- 2 Kosmo MA, Gale RP. Plasma cell leukemia. Semin Hematol 1987;24:202-8.
- 3 Dimopoulos MA, Palumbo A, Delasalle KB, Alexanian R. Primary plasma cell leukemia. Br J Haematol 1994;88:754-9.
- 4 Garcνa-Sanz R, Orfγo A, Gonzαlez M, Tabernero MD, Bladι J, Moro MJ, et al. Primary plasma cell leukemia: Clinical,Immunophenotypic, DNA Ploidy and cytogenetic characteristics. Blood 1999:93:1032-7.
- 5 Van Camp B, Durie BG, Spier C, De Waele M, Van Riet I, Vela E, et al. Plasma cells in multiple myeloma express a natural killer cell associated antigen: CD 56 (NHK-1; Leu 19). Blood 1990;76:377-82.
- 6 Shukla D, Veillon D. Leukemia in a patient with multiple myeloma. Lab Med 2003;34:299-301.
- 7 Noel P, Kyle RA. Plasma cell leukemia: An evaluation of response to therapy. Am J Med 1987;83:1062-8.
- 8 Hovenga S, de Wolf JT, Klip H, Vellenga E. Consolidation therapy with autologous stem cell transplantation in plasma cell leukemia after VAD, high-dose cyclophosphamide and EDAP courses: A report of three cases and a review of the literature. Bone Marrow Transplant 1997;20:901-4.