An Interesting Case of Lung MassSource of Support: Nil
A 46-year-male smoker presented with cough and fever to a chest physician, who on the basis of chest X-ray started him on antitubercular treatment. However, further evaluation suggested that the patient was suffering from a rare disease, i.e. Anaplastic large cell lymphoma of lung. Although lung involvement in cases of lymphoma is observed in as high as 40% of cases, in autopsy series, the exact clinical incidence is not known. One of the largest lymphoma groups reported it to be around 25%. However, primary pulmonary lymphomas have been extremely rare (0.4%), and whenever present they are of (Mucosa Associate Lymphoid tissue) MALT type, with occasional diffuse large cell lymphomas. The anaplastic variant is extremely uncommon. Usually the treatment results are satisfactory with more than 80% of the cases surviving even after 3 years. Here we report the case of anaplastic primary nonHodgkin′s lymphoma of lung and review the literature.
29 January 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Ferraro P, Trastek VF, Adlakha H, Deschamps C, Allen MS, Pairolero PC. Primary non-Hodgkin′s lymphoma of the lung. Ann Thorac Surg 2000;69:993-7.
- 2 Kurtin PJ, Myers JL, Adlakha H, Strickler JG, Lohse C, Pankratz VS, et al. Pathologic and clinical features of primary pulmonary extranodal marginal zone B-cell lymphoma of MALT type. Am Surg Pathol 2001;25:997-1008.
- 3 Kim JH, Lee SH, Park J, Kim HY, Lee SI, Park JO, et al. Primary pulmonary non-Hodgkin′s lymphoma. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2004;34:510-4.
- 4 Nicholson AG, Wotherspoon AC, Diss TC, Hansell DM, Du Bois R, Sheppard MN, et al. Reactive pulmonary lymphoid disorders. Histopathology 1995;26:405-12.
- 5 Cadranel J, Wislez M, Antoine M. Primary pulmonary lymphoma. Eur Respir J 2002;20:750-62.
- 6 Rush WL, Andriko JA, Taubenberger JK, Nelson AM, Abbondanzo SL, Travis WD, et al. Primary anaplastic large cell lymphoma of the lung: a clinicopathologic study of five patients. Mod Pathol 2000;13:1285-92.
- 7 Tian XL, Feng RE, Shi JH, Duan MH, Wang JL, Liu HR, et al. Primary pulmonary lymphoma: analysis of 18 cases. Zhonghua Jie He He Hu Xi Za Zhi 2008;31:401-5.
- 8 Yang SL, Song H, Tang YM. Primary anaplastic large cell lymphoma originated from lung in a case. Zhonghua Er Ke Za Zhi 2007;45:949.