Subscribe to RSS
Abdominal cocoon is an acquired benign condition in which there is encapsulation of bowel loops by a fibrous membrane. Pre-operative clinical diagnosis is usually difficult. Imaging plays a critical role in timely and accurate diagnosis. We present a brief discussion on this topic with relevant imaging findings.
Article published online:
09 August 2021
© 2013. Syrian American Medical Society. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Owtschinnikow PJ. Peritonitis chronica fibrosa incapsulata. Arch Klin Chir 1907;83:623-34.
- 2 Sieck JO, Cowgill R, Larkworthy W. Peritoneal encapsulation and abdominal cocoon. Case reports and a review of the literature. Gastroenterology 1983;84:1597-601.
- 3 Deeb LS, Mourad FH, El-Zein YR, Uthman SM. Abdominal cocoon in a man: Preoperative diagnosis and literature review. J Clin Gastroenterol 1998;26:148-50.
- 4 Foo KT, Ng KC, Rauff A, Foong WC, Sinniah R. Unusual small intestinal obstruction in adolescent girls: The abdominal cocoon. Br J Surg 1978;65:427-30.
- 5 Hur J, Kim KW, Park MS, Yu JS. Abdominal cocoon: Preoperative diagnostic clues from radiologic imaging with pathologic correlation. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2004;182:639-41.
- 6 Gupta S, Shirahatti RG, Anand J. CT findings of an abdominal cocoon. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2004;183:1658-60.
- 7 Naraynsingh V, Maharaj D, Singh M, Ramdass MJ. Peritoneal encapsulation: A preoperative diagnosis is possible. Postgrad Med J 2001;77:725-6.
- 8 Yip FW, Lee SH. The abdominal cocoon. Aust N Z J Surg 1992;62:638-42.
- 9 Demir MK, Akinci O, Onur E, Koksal N. Case 108: Sclerosing encapsulating peritonitis. Radiology 2007;242:937-9.