Use of homeopathic preparations in phytopathological models and in field trials: a critical review
Received01 July 2009
revised17 September 2009
accepted23 September 2009
20 December 2017 (online)
Background: The literature on the applications of homeopathy for controlling plant diseases in both plant pathological models and field trials was first reviewed by Scofield in 1984. No other review on homeopathy in plant pathology has been published since, though much new research has subsequently been carried out using more advanced methods.
Objectives: To conduct an up-to-date review of the existing literature on basic research in homeopathy using phytopathological models and experiments in the field.
Methods: A literature search was carried out on publications from 1969 to 2009, for papers that reported experiments on homeopathy using phytopathological models (in vitro and in planta) and field trials. The selected papers were summarized and analysed on the basis of a Manuscript Information Score (MIS) to identify those that provided sufficient information for proper interpretation (MIS ≥ 5). These were then evaluated using a Study Methods Evaluation Procedure (SMEP).
Results: A total of 44 publications on phytopathological models were identified: 19 papers with statistics, 6 studies with MIS ≥ 5. Publications on field were 9, 6 with MIS ≥ 5. In general, significant and reproducible effects with decimal and centesimal potencies were found, including dilution levels beyond the Avogadro's number.
Conclusions: The prospects for homeopathic treatments in agriculture are promising, but much more experimentation is needed, especially at a field level, and on potentisation techniques, effective potency levels and conditions for reproducibility. Phytopathological models may also develop into useful tools to answer pharmaceutical questions.
- 1 Betti L, Lazzarato L, Trebbi G, Nani D. The potential and need for homeopathy research in horticulture and agriculture. In: Proceeding of the International Conference “Improving the Success of Homeopathy: a Global Perspective”. London, 26–27 January 2006, pp 64–68.
- 2 Elmaz O., Cerit H., Ozcelik M., Ulas S. Impact of organic agriculture on the environment. Fresen Environ Bull 2004; 13: 1072-1078.
- 3 Lotter D.W. Organic agriculture. J Sust Agric 2003; 21: 59-128.
- 4 Carpenter-Boggs L., Reganold J.P., Kennedy A.C. Biodynamic preparations; short-term effects on crops, soils and weed populations. Am J Alternative Agr 2000; 15: 110-118.
- 5 Carpenter-Boggs L., Kennedy A.C., Reganold J.P. Organic and biodynamic management: effect on soil biology. Soil Sci Soc Am J 2000; 64: 1651-1658.
- 6 Heimler D., Isolani L., Vignolini P., Romani A. Polyphenol content and antiradical activity of Cichorium intybus L. from biodynamic and conventional farming. Food Chem 2009; 114: 765-770.
- 7 Reeve J.R., Carpenter-Boggs L., Reganold J.P., York A.I., McGourthy G., McCloskey I.P. Soil and winegrape quality in biodinamically and organically managed vineyards. Am J Enol Viticult 2005; 56: 367-376.
- 8 Reganold J.P. Soil quality and profitability of biodynamic and conventional farming system: a review. Am J Alternative Agr 1995; 10: 36-45.
- 9 Marques Fonseca M.C., Dias Casali V.W., Cecon P.R. Efeito de aplição única dos prepatarados homeopáticos calcarea carbonica, kaliun phosphoricum, magnesium carbonicum, natrium muriaticum e silicea terra no teor de tanino em Porophyllum ruderale (Jacq.) Cassini. Cultura Homeopatica 2006; 14: 6-8.
- 10 Shah-Rossi D., Heusser P., Baumgartner S. Homeopathic treatment of Arabidopsis thaliana plants infected with Pseudomonas syringae . SWJ 2009 10.1100/tsw.2009.38
- 11 Scofield A. Homeopathy and its potential role in agriculture, a critical review. Biol Agric Hort 1984; 2: 1-50.
- 12 Albrecht H., Van Wijk R., Dittloff S. A new database on basic research in homeopathy. Homeopathy 2002; 91: 162-165.
- 13 Karl and Veronica Carstens-Foundation. The HomBRex—Database. www.carstens-stiftung.de/hombrex 2005
- 14 Majewsky V., Heuwieser. Shah D. et al. Use of homeopathic preparations in experimental studies with healthy plants. Homeopathy 2009 in the present volume
- 15 Khanna K.K., Chandra S. Control of tomato fruit rot caused by Fusarium roseum with homeopathic drugs. Indian Phytopath 1976; 29: 269-272.
- 16 Khanna K.K., Chandra S. Control of guava fruit rot caused by Pestalotia psidii with homeopathic drugs. Plant Dis Rep 1977; 61: 362-366.
- 17 Khanna K.K., Chandra S. A homeopathic drug controls mango fruit rot caused by Pestalotia magnifaere Henn. Experientia 1978; 34: 1167-1168.
- 18 Khanna K.K., Chandra S. Effect of some homeopathic drugs on the spore germination of four isolates of Alternaria alternata . Indian Phytopath 1976; 29: 195-197.
- 19 Khanna K.K., Chandra S. Control of leaf blight of wheat caused by Alternaria alternata with homeopathic drugs. Indian Phytopath 1977; 30: 320-322.
- 20 Kehri K.H., Chandra S. Control of Botryodiplodia rot of guava with a homeopathic drug. Natl Acad Sci Lett 1986; 9: 301-302.
- 21 Khanna K.K., Chandra S. Spore germination, growth and sporulation of certain fruit-rot pathogens as affected by homeopathic drugs. Proc Natl Acad Sci India 1987; 57: 160-170.
- 22 Khanna K.K., Chandra S. Further investigations on the control of storage rot of mango, guava and tomato fruits with homeopathic drugs. Indian Phytopath 1989; 42: 436-440.
- 23 Khanna K.K., Chandra S. Effect of homoeopathic drugs on respiration of germinating fungal spores. Indian Phytopath 1992; 45: 348-353.
- 24 Khanna R., Chandra S. Homoeopathic drugs in the control of some post-harvest diseases of fruits. J Indian Bot Soc 1997; 76: 169-172.
- 25 Khanna R., Chandra S. Homoeopathic drugs in the control of fruit rots of guava. Proc Natl Acad Sci Lett 1990; 60: 345-348.
- 26 Khanna R., Khanna K.K., Chandra S. Effect of homoeopathic drugs on seed mycoflora of wheat. Natl Acad Sci Lett 1989; 12: 39-41.
- 27 Khanna K.K. Suppression of Fusarium oxysporum Schlecht., a pathogen causing seedling blight and foot rot of wheat, with homoeopathic drugs. Proc Natl Acad Sci Lett 1993; 63: 353-360.
- 28 Chaube K.M.R., Dixit S.N., Tripathi S.C. Effect of some homeopathic drugs on spore germination of certain fungi. Natl Acad Sci Lett 1978; 1: 355-356.
- 29 Kumar R., Kumar S. Effect of certain homoeopathic medicines and fungal growth and conidial germination. Indian Phytopath 1980; 33: 620-621.
- 30 Mishra R.S., Sinha K.K., Singh P. Evaluation of some homeopathic drugs against aflatoxin production and growth of Aspergillus parasiticus . Natl Acad Sci Lett 1980; 3: 289-290.
- 31 Mishra N. Inhibition of Aspergillus niger van Tiegh. by homeopathic drugs causing deterioration od coriander and cumin seeds in storage. Natl Acad Sci Lett 1983; 6: 139-141.
- 32 Singh B.S., Gupta G. Effect of homeopathic drugs on the growth of Alternaria tenuis Auct and Corvularia lunata (wakker) Boeidjn, the common leaf spot pathogens of ornamental and cultivated plants. Adv Homeopath 1981: 117-121
- 33 Singh B.G. Sensitivity of keratinophilic fungi to some homeopathic medicines. Hahnemannian Gleanings 1983; 50: 154-156.
- 34 Dua V.K., Atri D.C. Effect of homoeopathic drugs on the growth of two plant pathogens. Hahnemannian Gleanings 1983; 50: 411-413.
- 35 Saxena A., Pandey M.L., Gupta R.C. Effect of certain homeopathic drugs on incidence of seed-borne fungi and seed germination of Abelmoschus esculentus . Indian J Mycol Plant Pathol 1987; 17: 191-192.
- 36 Aggarwal A., Kamlesh T., Mehrotra R.S. Control of taro blight and corm rot caused by Phytophtora colocasiae homeopathic drugs. Plant Dis Rep 1992; 8: 94-101.
- 37 Rivas E., Ceceña C., Guajardo G. Acción de 9 fármacos homeopáticos sobre la germinacion de esporas de Alternaria Solani y semillas de trigo y tomate. Boletin Mexicano de Homeopatia 1996; 29: 44-46.
- 38 Rolim P.R.R., Brignani Neto F., Silva J.M. Controle de oídio da macieira por preparações homeopáticas. Fit Bras 2001; 26: 435-436.
- 39 Verma H.N., Verma G.S., Verma V.K., Krishna R., Srivastava K.M. Homeopathic and pharmacopoeial drugs as inhibitors of tobacco mosaic virus. Indian Phytopathol 1969; 22: 188-193.
- 40 Verma H.N., Awasthi L.P. Effect of biochemic drugs on the infection of TMV. Geobios 1978; 5: 84-86.
- 41 Singh B.P., Gupta G., Srivasta K.M. Homeopathic drugs as inhibitors of tobacco mosaic virus. Indian J Homeopath 1980; 4: 301-303.
- 42 Khatri H.L., Singh I. Biochemic salts and homeopathic drugs as inhibitors of a TMV-isolate from tomato. Ind J Mycol Pl Pathol 1975 S: 29
- 43 Khurana S.M.P. Effect of homeopathic drugs on plant viruses. Planta Med 1971; 20: 142-146.
- 44 Khurana SMP. Chemotherapeutic potential of homeopathic drugs against plant viruses. In: Proceedings of S. Hahnemanns birthday and annual function, HMAI, 11th April in Lucknow 1980, pp 29–35.
- 45 Abidi S.M.H., Srivasta K.M., Gupta R.P., Singh B.P. Effects of some medical drugs on distortion ring spot virus of papaya. New Botanist 1977; 4: 12-14.
- 46 Shukla K., Joshi R.D. Inhibition by some homeopathic drugs of sugarcane mosaic virus in sorghum. Sugarcane Pathol New 1982; 29: 48-50.
- 47 Cheema S.S., Reddy R.S., Kapur S.P., Bansal R.D. Comparative efficacy of homeopathic drugs against papaya mosaic virus (PapMV) as foliar spray. Indian J Virol 1986; 2: 132-135.
- 48 Cheema S.S., Kapila S., Kumar A. Efficacy of various bio-products and chemical against tobacco mosaic virus in tomato and cucumber mosaic virus in bottle gourd. Plant Dis Res 1992; 8: 110-114.
- 49 Betti L., Lazzarato L., Trebbi G. et al. Effects of homeopathic arsenic on tobacco plant resistance to tobacco mosaic virus. Theoretical suggestions about system variability, based on a large experimental data set. Homeopathy 2003; 92: 195-202.
- 50 Moreno N.M., Alvarez L.R.G. Acciòn de 4 fàrmacos homeopàthicos en el control de la contaminaciòn por bacteria. La homeopatìa de México 2003; 622: 11-12.
- 51 Villegas AD, Gonzales LR, Rodriguez AA, et al. Utilizaciòn de la homeopathia en el saneamiento de la escaldadura foliar en caña de azùcar a través del cultivo de meristemo. In: Proceedings of “Nosodes 2008” Congress, 10–12 December 2008, La Habana (Cuba), p 35.
- 52 Kumar R., Sharma R.K. Effect of certain homeopathic medicine on larval hatching of Meloidogyne incognita (Kofoid & White) chitwood. J Sci Res Plant Med 1979; 1: 15-16.
- 53 Ray S., Pradhan A.K. Homeo-drugs show nematicidal properties against tomato root-knot nematode in vitro. Hahnemann Gleanings 1985: 447-449
- 54 Sukul N.C., Sukul A. Potentized Cina reduced root-knot disease of cowpeas. Enviroment Ecol 1999; 17: 269-273.
- 55 Sukul N.C., Sinhababu S.P., Datta S.C., Nandi B., Sukul A. Nematotoxic effect of Acacia auriculiformis and Artemisia nilagirica against root-knot nematodes. Allelopathy J 2001; 8: 65-72.
- 56 Sukul N.C., Ghosh S., Sukul A., Sinhababu S.P. Amelioration of root-knot disease of Lady's finger plants by potentized Cina and Santonin. Homeopathy 2006; 95: 144-147.
- 57 Datta S.C. Effects of Cina on root-knot disease of mulberry. Homeopathy 2006; 95: 98-102.
- 58 Baumgartner S., Heusser P., Thurneysen S. Methodological standards and problems in preclinical homeopathic potency research. Forsch Komplementmed 1998; 5: 27-32.
- 59 Sinha E. Agro-Homeopathy. J Am Inst Hom 1976; 68: 37-40.
- 60 McIvor G. Letters to the Editor. J Am Inst Hom 1980; 73: 43-48.
- 61 Boff P, Madruga E, Zanelato M, Boff MIC. Pest and disease management of potato crops with homeopathic preparations and germoplasm variability. In: Proceeding of 16th IFOAM Organic World Congress, Modena, Italy, 2008, pp 544–547.
- 62 Trebbi G, Fantino MG, Dinelli G, et al. Effects of homeopathic and mineral treatments on dark leaf spot caused by Alternaria brassicicola on cauliflower. In: Proceeding of 16th IFOAM Organic World Congress, Modena, Italy, 2008, pp 448–451.
- 63 Kayne S. An agricultural application of homeopathy. Br Hom J 1991; 80: 157-160.
- 64 Diniz L.P., Maffia L.A., Dhingra O.D., Casali V.W.D., Santos R.H., Mizubuti E.S.G. Avaliação de produtos alternativos para controle da requeima do tomateiro. Fit Bras 2006; 31: 171-179.
- 65 Rossi F., Tavares Melo P.C., Ambrosano E.J., Guiraão N., Schaminass E.A. Aplicação do medicamento homeopático Carbo vegetabilis e desenvolvimento das mudas de alface. Int J High Dilution Res 2006; 5: 4-7.
- 66 Sukul N.C., Chattopadhyay S., Das C., Sukul A., Ghosh S., Sinha Babu S.P. Enhancement of photosynthesis and plant growth by potentized drugs. Environ Ecol 2007; 25S: 520-524.
- 67 European and Mediterranean Plant Protection Organization. Design and analysis of efficacy evaluation trials. Bulletin OEPP/EPPO Bulletin 2007; 37: 11-24.
- 68 Ménard R., Larue J.-P., Silué D., Thouvenot D. Glucosinolates in cauliflower as biochemical markers for resistance against downy mildew. Phytochemistry 1999; 52: 29-35.
- 69 Betti L, Trebbi G, Marotti I, et al. Cavolfiore (Brassica oleracea L.) coltivato in regime biologico: valutazione fitopatologia e nutraceutica. In: Proceeding of XXXVIII National Congress of Italian Society for Agronomy, Firenze, Italy, 2009, pp 423–424.
- 70 Király L., Barna B., Király Z. Plant resistance to pathogen infection: forms and mechanisms of innate and acquired resistance. J Phytopathol 2007; 155: 385-396.