Homeopathic and integrative treatment for feline hyperthyroidism – four cases (2006–2010)
Received07 February 2011
revised13 May 2011
accepted24 May 2011
18 December 2017 (online)
Hyperthyroidism is a frequent veterinary problem, particularly in elderly cats. Homeopathic treatment and other integrative modalities were provided for four hyperthyroid cats whose owners did not want conventional treatment. Symptomatic homeopathic treatment with Thyroidinum was helpful in one cat. All cats were prescribed an appropriate individualized homeopathic remedy. All four cats showed resolution of clinical signs; three attained normal thyroid hormone levels. Three cats later received acupuncture and/or herbal medicines; two cats later received symptomatic homeopathic remedies. Two cats are thriving after over 3.5 and 4.25 years of treatment; two were euthanized for unrelated problems after 3 and 4 years of treatment. Homeopathic and complementary therapies avoid the potential side effects of methimazole and surgical thyroidectomy, they are less costly than radioactive iodine treatment, and they provide an option for clients who decline conventional therapies.
- 1 Nelson R.W. Disorders of the thyroid gland. In: Nelson R.W., Couto C.G. Small Animal Internal Medicine. 3rd edn. 2006. St. Louis: Mosby Inc; 691-728.
- 2 Langston C.E., Reine N.J. Hyperthyroidism and the kidney. Clin Tech Small Anim Pract 2006; 21 (01) 17-21.
- 3 Riensche M.R., Graves T.K., Schaeffer D.J. Investigation of predictors of renal insufficiency following treatment of hyperthyroidism. J Feline Med Surg 2008; 10 (02) 160-166.
- 4 Milner R.J., Channell C.D., Levy J.K., Schaer M. Survival time for cats with hyperthyroidism treated with iodine 131, methimazole, or both: 167 cases. (1996-2003). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2006; 228 (04) 559-563.
- 5 Mathie R.T., Baitson E.S., Hansen L., Elliot M.F., Hoare J. Homeopathic prescribing for chronic conditions in feline and canine veterinary practice. Homeopathy 2010; 99: 243-248.
- 6 Wakeling J., Moore K., Elliott J., Syme H. Diagnosis of hyperthyroidism in cats with mild chronic kidney disease. J Small Anim Pract 2008; 49 (06) 287-294.
- 7 Saxton J., Gregory P. Isopathy and the use of nosodes. In: Saxton J., Gregory P. Textbook of Veterinary Homeopathy. 2005. Beaconsfield, UK: Beaconsfield Publishers Ltd; 138-146.
- 8 Barker R. The practicalities of prescribing LMs. In: Barker R. LM Potencies. 3rd edn. 1997. Norfolk, UK: Homeopathic Supply Co; 21-35.
- 9 Wynn S.C., Marsden S. Therapies for Urologic Disorders. Manual of Natural Veterinary Medicine. 2003. St. Louis: Mosby Inc; 565-607.
- 10 Wynn S.C., Marsden S. Therapies for Endocrinologic Disorders. Manual of Natural Veterinary Medicine. 2003. St. Louis: Mosby Inc; 234-264.
- 11 Plumb D.C. Silymarin/milk Thistle. Plumb’s Veterinary Drug Handbook. 2008. Ames, Iowa: Blackwell Publishing.;
- 12 Plumb D.C. Aluminum Hydroxide. Plumb’s Veterinary Drug Handbook. 2008. Ames, Iowa: Blackwell Publishing.;
- 13 Saxton J. The Morgan group. In: Saxton J. Bowel Nosodes in Homeopathic Practice. 2008. Glasgow, Scotland: Saltire Books Ltd; 44-63.