Effect of the oral administration homeopathic Arnica montana on mitochondrial oxidative stress
Received09 December 2011
revised22 October 2012
accepted07 November 2012
17 December 2017 (online)
Objective: To analyze the effect of homeopathic Arnica on mitochondrial oxidative stress induced by Ca2+ plus inorganic phosphate and/or Fe2+-citrate-mediated lipid peroxidation through changes in oxygen consumption rates.
Methods: Mitochondria were isolated by differential centrifugation from the livers of adult male Wistar rats which had been treated with Arnica montana 6cH, 12cH, 30cH or succussed 30% ethanol (control) for 21 days.
Results: In the presence of antimycin-A, electron transport chain inhibitor, as evidenced by antimycin-A insensitive O2 consumption, Arnica inhibited lipid peroxidation of mitochondrial membranes. In oxidative stress conditions, in the presence of Ca2+ and inorganic phosphate, animals receiving Arnica 30cH had a significant decrease in mitochondrial O2 consumption compared to control animals.
Conclusion: When administrated orally, Arnica 30cH protects against hepatic mitochondrial membrane permeabilization induced by Ca2+ and/or Fe2+-citrate-mediated lipid peroxidation and fragmentation of proteins due to the attack by reactive oxygen species.
- 1 Bellavite P., Marzotto M., Chirumbolo S., Conforti A. Advances in homeopathy and immunology: a review of clinical research. Front Biosci (Schol Ed) Jun 1 2011; 3: 1363-1389.
- 2 Conforti A., Bellavite P., Bertani S., Chiaroti F., Menniti-Ippolito F., Raschetti R. Rat models of acute inflammation: a randomized controlled study on the effects of homeopathic remedies. BMC Complement Altern Med Jan 17 2007; 7: 1.
- 3 Paris A., Gonnet N., Chaussard C., Belon P., Rocourt F., Saragaglia D. et al. Effect of homeopathy on analgesic intake following knee ligament reconstruction: a phase III monocentre randomized placebo controlled study. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2008; 65 (02) 180-187.
- 4 Plezbert J.A., Burke J.R. Effects of the homeopathic remedy Arnica on attenuating symptoms of exercise-induced muscle soreness. J Chiropr Med Autumn 2005; 4 (03) 152-161.
- 5 Vickers A., Fisher P., Smith C., Wyllie S. Homoeopathic Arnica 30× is ineffective for muscle soreness after long-distance running: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Clin J Pain 1998; 14: 227-231.
- 6 Seeley B.M., Denton A.B., Ahn M.S., Maas C.S. Effect of homeopathic Arnica montana on bruising in face-lifts: results of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Arch Facial Plast Surg 2006; 8 (01) 54-59.
- 7 Brinkhaus B., Wilkens J.M., Lüdtke R., Hunger J., Witt C.M., Willich S.N. Homeopathic arnica therapy in patients receiving knee surgery: results of three randomised double-blind trials. Complement Ther Med Dec 2006; 14 (04) 237-246.
- 8 Oberbaum M., Galoyan N., Lerner-Geva L., Singer S.R., Grisaru S., Shashar D. et al. The effect of the homeopathic remedies Arnica montana and Bellis perennis on mild postpartum bleeding – a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study – preliminary results. Complement Ther Med 2005; 13 (02) 87-90.
- 9 Robertson A., Suryanarayanan R., Banerjee A. Homeopathic Arnica montana for post-tonsillectomy analgesia: a randomised placebo control trial. Homeopathy 2007; 96 (01) 17-21.
- 10 Kennedy E.P., Lehninger A.L. Oxidation of fatty acids and tricarboxylic acid cycle intermediates by isolated rat liver mitochondria. J Biol Chem 1949; 179: 957-967.
- 11 Nicholls D.G. Calcium transport and proton electrochemical potential gradient in mitochondria from guinea-pig cerebral cortex and rat heart. Biochem J 1978; 170: 511-522.
- 12 Nicholls D.G., Åkerman K.E.O. Mitochondrial calcium transport. Biochim Biophys Acta 1982; 683: 57-88.
- 13 Åkerman K.E.O., Wikstrom M.K.F. Safranine as a probe of the mitochondrial membrane potential. FEBS Lett 1976; 68: 191-197.
- 14 Schneider W.C., Hogeboom G.H. Intracellular distribution of enzymes. V. Further studies on the distribution of cytochrome C in rat liver homogenates. J Biol Chem 1950; 183: 123-128.
- 15 Castilho R.F., Meinicke A.R., Alemida A.M., Hermes-Lima M., Vercesi A.E. Oxidative damage of mitochondria induced by Fe(II)citrate is potentiated by Ca2+ and includes lipid peroxidation and alterations in membrane proteins. Arch Biochem Biophys 1994; 308: 158-163.
- 16 Vercesi A.E., Ferraz V.L., Macedo D.V., Fiskum G. Ca2+-dependent NAD(P)+-induced alterations of rat liver and hepatoma mitochondrial membrane permeability. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1988; 154: 934-941.
- 17 Gunter T.E., Pfeiffer D.R. Mechanisms by which mitochondria transport calcium. Amer J Physiol 1990; 258: 755-786.
- 18 Kowaltowski A.J., Castilho R.F., Vercesi A.E. Opening of the mitochondrial permeability transition pore by uncoupling or inorganic phosphate in the presence of Ca2+ is dependent on mitochondrial-generated reactive oxygen species. FEBS Lett 1996; 378: 150-152.
- 19 Haraguchi H., Ishikawa H., Sanchez Y., Ogura T., Kubo Y., Kubo I. Antioxidative constituents in Heterotheca inuloides . Bioorg Med Chem. May 1997; 5 (05) 865-871.
- 20 Saluk-Juszczak J., Pawlaczyk I., Olas B. et al. The effect of polyphenolic-polysaccharide conjugates from selected medicinal plants of Asteraceae family on the peroxynitrite-induced changes in blood platelet proteins. Int J Biol Macromol Dec 1 2010; 47 (05) 700-705.
- 21 Pinto S., Rao A.V., Rao A. Lipid peroxidation, erythrocyte antioxidants and plasma antioxidants in osteoarthritis before and after homeopathic treatment. Homeopathy Oct 2008; 97 (04) 185-189.