Subscribe to RSS
Homeopathic drug therapy Homeopathy in Chikungunya Fever and Post-Chikungunya Chronic Arthritis: an observational study
Received10 September 2012
revised18 January 2013
accepted05 February 2013
20 December 2017 (online)
Objectives: To observe the effect of homeopathic therapy in Chikungunya Fever (CF) and in Post-Chikungunya Chronic Arthritis (PCCA) in a primary health care setting.
Methods: A prospective observational study was conducted at Delhi Government Homeopathic Dispensary, Aali Village, New Delhi, India, for a period of 6 months, from 1st October 2010 to 31st March 2011. 126 patients (75 CF, 51 PCCA) were enrolled based on predefined inclusion criteria. A single homeopathic medicine was prescribed for each patient after case taking with the help of Materia Medica and/or Repertory. Results were evaluated on the basis of visual analogue scale and symptom scores.
Results: Complete recovery was seen in 84.5% CF cases in a mean time of 6.8 days. 90% cases of PCCA recovered completely in a mean time of 32.5 days.
Conclusion: Homeopathic therapy may be effective in CF and PCCA. A randomized controlled trial should be considered.
- 1 Lahariya C., Pradhan S.K. Emergence of Chikungunya virus in Indian subcontinent after 32 years: a review. J Vect Borne Dis December 2006; 43 (04) 151-160.
- 2 Robinson M.C. An epidemic of virus disease in Southern Province, Tanganyika Territory, in 1952–53. I. Clinical features. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 1955; 49: 28-32.
- 3 Lumsden W.H.R. An epidemic of virus disease in Southern Province, Tanganyika Territory, in 1952–53; II. General description and epidemiology. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 1955; 49 (01) 33-57.
- 4 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chikungunya as accessed on 17-8-12.
- 5 http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/Chikungunya/CH_SymptomsTreatment.html as accessed on 17-8-12.
- 6 Powers A.M., Logue C.H. Changing patterns of Chikungunya virus: re-emergence of a zoonotic arbovirus. J Gen Virol 2007; 88 (09) 2363-2377.
- 7 World Health Organisation. Guidelines on Clinical Management of Chikungunya Fever. pp5 as accessed on October 2008. http://www.wpro.who.int/mvp/topics/ntd/Clinical_Mgnt_Chikungunya_WHO_SEARO.pdf on 17-8-12.
- 8 Narsimulu G., Prabhu N. Post-chikungunya chronic arthritis. JAPI Feb 2011; 59: 81.
- 9 http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2010-10-19/delhi/28249565_1_Chikungunya-cases-dengue-fever-and-joint-pain as accessed on 21-7-11.
- 10 http://www.zeenews.com/news665188.html as accessed on 21-7-11.
- 11 Dilip C., Saraswathi R., Krishnan P.N. et al. Comparative evaluation of different systems of medicines and the present scenario of Chikungunya in Kerala. Asian Pac J Trop Med June 2010; 3 (06) 443-447.
- 12 Biju SG, Sarathchandran. A Pilot Study on Treatment of Chikungunya. Available at: http://www.slideshare.net/shebees/chiqungunya/ as accessed on 21-7-11.
- 13 Rao R, Kurian PJ. Efficacy of homeopathic prophylaxis in Chikungunya. Available at: http://www.similima.com/thesis69.html as accessed on 21-7-11.
- 14 Rejikumar R, Dinesh RS, et al. A Study on the Prophylactic Efficacy of Homeopathic Preventive Medicine Against Chikungunya Fever. Available at: http://www.similima.com/gen126.html as accessed on 21-7-11.
- 15 Ganu Mohini A., Ganu A.S. Post-chikungunya chronic arthritis – our experience with DMARDs over two year follow up. JAPI 2011; 59: 83-87.
- 16 Bouquillard E., Combe B. Rheumatoid arthritis after Chikungunya fever: a prospective follow-up study of 21 cases. Ann Rheum Dis 2009; 68: 1505-1506.
- 17 World Health Organisation. Guidelines on Clinical Management of Chikungunya Fever. pp. 3–5 as accessed on October 2008. http://www.wpro.who.int/mvp/topics/ntd/Clinical_Mgnt_Chikungunya_WHO_SEARO.pdf on 17-8-12.
- 18 Hahnemann S. Organon of Medicine. 5th and 6th edn. India: B Jain Publishers (P) Ltd; 2009. §248 p. 127.
- 19 Hahnemann S. Organon of Medicine. 5th and 6th edn. India: B Jain Publishers (P) Ltd; 2009. §248 footnote p. 127.
- 20 Roberts H.A. The Principles and Art of Cure by Homeopathy. India: Indian Books & Periodicals Publishers, New Delhi; 2004. pp. 144–149.
- 21 Hahnemann S. reprint edn. India: B. Jain Publishers (P) Ltd.; Materia Medica Pura. vol. II. 2007. pp. 400–401.