Subscribe to RSS
Hepatitis C Nosode: The preparation and homeopathic pathogenetic trial
Received07 June 2012
revised22 January 2013
accepted05 February 2013
27 December 2017 (online)
Background: A double blind, randomized placebo controlled homeopathic pathogenetic trial (proving) of Hepatitis C (Hep C) nosode was conducted with the aim to introduce the new nosode in homeopathic pharmacopeia.
Method: Documentation included approval by Ethics Committee, Informed Consent Form, Laboratory investigations, safety and ethical measures. The volunteers were trained to write data in prescribed diaries and data were analyzed. A fifteen-step method was used in the preparation of Hep C nosode (genotype I and III), allowing future preparation of an identical nosode. 22 volunteers were entered, 15 received Hep C nosode in 30c potency, 7 received placebo, once a week for four weeks.
Results: The Hep C nosode was associated with qualitatively and quantitatively distinct symptoms, which can be applied in clinical practice. A significantly higher incidence of pathogenetic effect of homeopathic medicine compared to placebo was observed. Safety was documented. The nosode produced symptoms comparable with Hep C disease.
Conclusion: An improved method of nosode preparation was used. A double blind, randomized placebo controlled pathogenetic trial of the Hep C nosode generated guiding symptoms, which may facilitate its prescription in practice. The nosode should be further explored for the treatment of immunologically mediated diseases, infections including Hep C, fibrotic pathology and chronic inflammatory disorders.
KeywordsHepatitis C - Nosode - Drug proving - Homeopathic pathogenetic trial - Potentization - Standardization - Double blind - Randomization - Placebo control - Safety - Symptoms
- 1 Houghton M. The long and winding road leading to the identification of the hepatitis C virus. Journal of Hepatology November 2009; 51 (05) 939-948 10.1016/j.jhep.2009.08.004 PMID 19781804.
- 2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepatitis_C .
- 3 http://www.e-hepatitis-c.com/app/hepatitis-c.asp (March, 19, 2012).
- 4 http://www.ias.ac.in/jbiosci/nov2008/465.pdf (Page 468) (March, 19, 2012).
- 5 Alter M.J. Epidemiology of hepatitis C virus infection. World Journal of Gastroenterology: WJG 2007–05-07; 13 (17) 2436-2441 PMID 17552026. (March 18, 2012).
- 6 Möllinger H., Schneider R., Walach H. Homeopathic Pathogenetic Trials Produce Specific Symptoms Different from Placebo. Forsch Komplementmed 2009; 16: 105-110.
- 7 Piltan D., Rist L., Simões-Wüst A., Saller R. Test of a homeopathic dilution of Aconitum napellus. A clinical, randomized, double-blind, controlled crossover study in healthy volunteers. Forsch Komplementmed 2009; 16: 168-173.
- 8 http://www.homeopathyeurope.org/publications/guidelines/homeopathic-provings/ECH_Proving_Guidelines_v1.pdf , page 5 (2nd March, 2010).
- 9 Hahnemann S. Organon of Medicine. 6th edn. B. Jain Publishers; 1979. reprint, pages 190–212.
- 10 CCR Central Drug Proving Cum Data Processing Cell, and Pre and Post trial medical report proforma, CCRH, (year not specified), published by CCRH, Ministry of Health, New Delhi, India. http://ccrhindia.org/index.asp .
- 11 Indian Council of Medial Research, New Delhi. Ethical Guidelines for Biomedical Research on Human Participants. 2006. http://icmr.nic.in/ethical_guidelines.pdf.
- 12 http://ctri.nic.in (16th January, 2012).
- 13 Dantas F., Fisher P., Walach H., Wieland F., Rastogi D.P., Teixeira H., Koster D., Jansen J.P., Eizayaga J., Alvarez M.E.P., Marim M., Belon P., Weckx L.L.M. A systematic review of the quality of homeopathic pathogenetic trials published from 1945 to 1995. Homeopathy 2007; 96: 4-16 http://www.clubdelarazon.org/downloads/homeopatia45-95.pdf (Downloaded 26th February, 2012).
- 14 Wilkins T., Malcolm J.K., Raina D., Schade R.R. Hepatitis C: diagnosis and treatment. American Family Physician 2010–06-01; 81 (11) 1351-1357 PMID 20521755 (March 17, 2012).
- 15 Chronic Hepatitis C Virus Advances in Treatment, Promise for the Future. Springer Verlag; 2011. ISBN: 9781461411918 (March 17, 2012), pp. 103–104.
- 16 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycobacterium_tuberculosis (16th January, 2012).
- 17 Hering C. B. Jain Publishers; The Guiding Symptoms of Our Materia Medica. Vol 10. 1989. reprint, page: 211, page: 350.
- 18 William Boericke. Pocket Manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica. B. Jain Publishers; 1981. Export Edition, page: 655.
- 19 Sarkar B.K. Up-to-dates with Nosodes. Roy Publishing House; 1971. page: 20.
- 20 Kent J.T. Lectures on homoeopathic Materia Medica. Jain Publishing Co.; 1980. reprint, page: 1001.