Subscribe to RSS
A prospective multi-centric open clinical trial of homeopathy in diabetic distal symmetric polyneuropathy
Received28 September 2010
revised24 January 2013
accepted05 February 2013
27 December 2017 (online)
Objectives: To evaluate homeopathic treatment in the management of diabetic distal symmetric polyneuropathy.
Methods: A prospective multi-centric clinical observational study was carried out from October 2005 to September 2009 by Central Council for Research in Homeopathy (CCRH) (India) at its five Institutes/Units. Patients suffering from diabetes mellitus (DM) and presenting with symptoms of diabetic polyneuropathy (DPN) were screened, investigated and were enrolled in the study after fulfilling the inclusion and exclusion criteria. Patients were evaluated by the Diabetic Distal Symmetric Polyneuropathy Symptom Score (DDSPSS) developed by the Council. A total of 15 homeopathic medicines were identified after repertorizing the nosological symptoms and signs of the disease. The appropriate constitutional medicine was selected and prescribed in 30, 200 and 1 M potency on an individualized basis. Patients were followed up regularly for 12 months.
Results: Out of 336 patients (167 males and 169 females) enrolled in the study, 247 patients (123 males and 124 females) were analyzed. All patients who attended at least three follow-up appointments and baseline curve conduction studies were included in the analysis.). A statistically significant improvement in DDSPSS total score (p = 0.0001) was found at 12 months from baseline. Most objective measures did not show significant improvement. Lycopodium clavatum (n = 132), Phosphorus (n = 27) and Sulphur (n = 26) were the medicines most frequently prescribed. Adverse event of hypoglycaemia was observed in one patient only.
Conclusion: This study suggests homeopathic medicines may be effective in managing the symptoms of DPN patients. Further studies should be controlled and include the Quality of life (QOL) assessment.
- 1 The World Health Report. Life in the 21st century: a vision for all. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1998. p. 5.
- 2 Sicree R., Shaw J., Zimmet P. Diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance. In: Gan D. (ed). Diabetes atlas. International Diabetes Federation. 3rd edn. 2006. Belgium: International Diabetes Federation; 15-103.
- 3 Bela S., Kumar N., Menon G.R. Assessment of burden of non-communicable diseases. New Delhi: Indian Council of Medical Research; 2006. 14.
- 4 Powers A.C. Diabetes mellitus. In: Fauci A.S., Braunwald E., Kasper D.L. et al. (eds). 17th edn. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. Vol II. 2008. USA: McGraw Hill Medical Publications; 2289.
- 5 Boulton A.J., Vinik A.I., Arezzo J.C. et al. Diabetic neuropathies – a statement by the American diabetes association. Diabetes Care April 2005; 28 (04) 956-962.
- 6 Dannemann K., Hecker W., Haberland H. et al. Use of complementary and alternative medicine in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus- prevalence, pattern of use, and costs. Pediatr Diabetes Jun. 2008; 9 (03) 228-235.
- 7 Remli R., Chan S.C. Use of complementary medicine among diabetic patients in a public primary care clinic in Ipoh. Med J Malasiya Dec. 2003; 58 (05) 688-693.
- 8 Rastogi D.P. Hypoglycaemic effects of some lesser known drugs. CCRH Qly Bull 1986; 8 (1–4): 1-6.
- 9 Rastogi D.P., Saxena A.C., Kumar S. Pancreatic beta cell regeneration- a novel anti-diabetic action of Cephalendra indica mother tincture. Br Homeopath J 1998; 77: 147-151.
- 10 Rastogi D.P. Clinical verification of hypoglycaemic effect of Cephalendra indica in patients of diabetes mellitus. CCRH Qly Bull 1990; 12 (3–4): 20–21-and 38.
- 11 Rastogi D.P., Nagpaul V.M., Kumar S. Demonstration of anti-diabetic activities of alloxan in potentized dilutent state – an experimental approach. CCRH Qly Bull 1991; 13 (3–4): 25-32.
- 12 Muzumdar K.P., Augustine V.K., Thakur K. Monograph on Proving of Abroma augusta folia. New Delhi: Central Council for Research in Homeopathy; 1974.
- 13 Baig H., Rastogi D.P. Management and homeopathic treatment of peripheral vascular disease in relation to diabetes mellitus. CCRH Qly Bull 1995; 17: (3 and 4).
- 14 Sharma A., Oberai P. Diabetes mellitus and homoeopathy. CCRH Qly Bull 1998; 20 (3 and 4): 1-5.
- 15 Baig H., Sharma S.R., Sharma A., Oberai P., Nayak D., Mishra A. Role of Cephalandra indica Q in the management of Diabetes Mellitus as an add-on medicine along with conventional anti diabetics. Indian J Res Homeopath 2008; 2 (03) 22-27.
- 16 Baig H., Singh K., Sharma A., Kaushik S., Mishra A. Rhus aromaticus in the management of Diabetes mellitus. Clin Res Studies, Ser-II 2009: 21-28.
- 17 World Medical Association Declaration of Helsinki. Ethical Principles for Medical Research Involving Human Subjects. Available from: http://www.who.int/bulletin/archives/79(4)373.pdf. Accessed 12.03.2009.
- 18 Good Clinical Practices for Clinical Research in India. Available from: http://cdsco.nic.in/html/GCP1.html. Accessed 12.03.2009.
- 19 Hahnemann S. Organon of medicine, 6th edn. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers (P) Ltd, 1979.
- 20 Kent J.T. Lectures on homeopathic philosophy. Reprint version 4th edn. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers (P) Ltd; 1997. 253–273.
- 21 Field A. Discovering statistics using SPSS. 3rd edn. London: Sage Publications Limited; 2009.
- 22 Rajbhandari S.M., Piya M.K. A brief review on the pathogenesis of human diabetic neuropathy: observations and postulations. Int J Diabetes Metab 2005; 13: 135-140.
- 23 England J.D., Gronseth G.S., Franklin G. et al. Distal symmetrical polyneuropathy: a definition for clinical research.: Report of the American Academy of Neurology, the Americamn Association of Electrodiagniostic Medicine, and the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Neurology 2005; 64: 199-207 Available from: http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/full/64/2/199 Accessed 18.09.2008.
- 24 Cockram C.S. The epidemiology of diabetes mellitus in the asia-pacific region. Hong Kong Med J 2000; 6 (01) 43-52.
- 25 Misra A., Vikram N.K., Arya S. et al. High prevalence of insulin resistance in post-pubertal Asian Indian children is associated with adverse truncal body fat patterning, abdominal adiposity and excess body fat. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2004; 28: 1217-1226.
- 26 Mohan V., Ramachandran A., Snehalatha C., Rema M., Bharani G., Viswanathan M. High prevalence of maturity onset diabetes of the young (MODY) among Indians. Diabetes Care 1985; 8: 371-374.
- 27 Ramachandran A., Snehalatha C., Kapur A. et al. High prevalence of diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance in India: National Urban Diabetes Survey. Diabetologia 2001; 44: 1094-1101.
- 28 Pomposelli R., Piasere V., Andreoni C. et al. Observational study of homeopathic and conventional therapies in patients with diabetic polyneuropathy. Homeopathy 2009; 98 (01) 17-25.
- 29 Gupta R., Sarna M., Thanvi J. et al. High prevalence of multiple coronary risk factors in Punjabi Bhatia community. Ind Heart J 2004; 56: 646-652.
- 30 Sadikot S.M., Nigam A., Das S. et al. The burden of diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance in India using the WHO 1999 criteria: Prevalence of diabetes in India study (PODIS). Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2004; 66: 301-307.
- 31 Boenninghausen C.M.V. Boenninghausen's Therapeutic Pocket Book for Homeopathic Physicians to use at the bedside and in the study of the Materia Medica, with introduction by Roberts H.A. and Wilson AC. 5th American reprint edn. 1980. 342–343,416–417,436–438, 471–472.
- 32 Boericke W. Pocket Manual of Homeopathic Materia Medica – revised and enlarged with addition of a Repertory by Boericke OE. third revised and augmented edition 9th edn. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers Pvt. Ltd; 2007. 1103–1116.
- 33 Jiang J., Qiu H., Zhao G. et al. Dietary fiber intake is associated with HbA1c level among prevalent patients with type 2 diabetes in Pudong New Area of Shanghai, China. PLoS One 2012; 7 (10) e46552 10.1371/journal.pone.0046552.
- 34 Delahanty L.M., Halford B.N. The role of diet behaviors in achieving improved glycemic control in intensively treated patients in the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial. Diabetes Care 1993; 16 (11) 1453-1458.
- 35 Nathan D.M., Turgeon H., Regan S. Relationship between glycated haemoglobin levels and mean glucose levels over time. Diabetolgia 2007; 50 (11) 2239-2244.