Subscribe to RSS
Effect of a homeopathic-complex medicine on state and trait anxiety and sleep disorders: a retrospective observational study
Received01 October 2012
revised09 July 2013
accepted16 July 2013
27 December 2017 (online)
Purpose: The primary objective of this open-label, retrospective, observational study was to examine change in indicators of anxiety changed after treatment period of at least 1 month with the homeopathic-complex medicine Datif-PC ®. A secondary objective was to describe the quantitative changes in the sleep pattern of the subjects included in the study.
Methods: The study population consisted of 71 subjects suffering from mild to moderate anxiety, who were treated with a homeopathic-complex medicine. The subjects had attended at least 2 consultations during the year 2010, with the second visit taking place at least 30 days after the first baseline visit. At both visits, subjects were administered the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI)-Y questionnaire (consisting of trait and state subscales) to assess their level of anxiety. Sleep quality was assessed based on the subjects' self-reported number of hours slept and number of night-time awakenings, before and after treatment.
Results: Compared to baseline, the average (STAI)-state score at visit 2 decreased by more than 6 points, while the STAI-trait score decreased by more than 3 points. This was statistically significant (p < 0.0001) for both subscales. These findings were stable in subgroup analyses (gender, age and anxiety level). The average number of hours slept per night increased significantly at visit 2 compared to baseline (from 5.1 ± 1.1 to 5.56 ± 0.9 h, p < 0.0001). A marked decrease in the average number of night-time awakenings was also observed at the second visit (−42%, p < 0.0001).
Conclusions: This retrospective observational study suggests that treatment of anxiety and sleep disorders with Datif-PC ® can produce notable improvements even in a short period of time. Furthermore, the observed effects were not affected by sex, age or baseline anxiety. Further controlled, randomized studies are justified.
- 1 American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. text revision 4th ed.. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Pub; 2000.
- 2 National Institute of Mental Health. Anxiety disorders. NIH Publication No. 09 3879 2009.
- 3 Demyttenaere K., Bruffaerts R., Posada-Villa J. for the WHO World Mental Health Survey Consortium. et al. Prevalence, severity, and unmet need for treatment of mental disorders in the World Health Organization World Mental Health Surveys. JAMA 2004; 291: 2581-2590.
- 4 Taylor D.J., Lichstein K.L., Durrence H.H., Reidel B.W., Bush A.J. Epidemiology of insomnia, depression, and anxiety. Sleep 2005; 28: 1457-1464.
- 5 Van Mill J.G., Hoogendijk W.J., Vogelzangs N., van Dyck R., Penninx B.W. Insomnia and sleep duration in a large cohort of patients with major depressive disorder and anxiety disorders. J Clin Psychiatry 2010; 71: 239-246.
- 6 Hartz A.J., Daly J.M., Kohatsu N.D., Stromquist A.M., Jogerst G.J., Kukoyi O.A. Risk factors for insomnia in a rural population. Ann Epidemiol 2007; 17: 940-947.
- 7 Lader M. Benzodiazepines revisited–will we ever learn?. Addiction 2011; 106: 2086-2109.
- 8 Koen N., Stein D.J. Pharmacotherapy of anxiety disorders: a critical review. Dialogues Clin Neurosci 2011; 13: 423-437.
- 9 Rudolph U., Knoflach F. Beyond classical benzodiazepines: novel therapeutic potential of GABAA receptor subtypes. Nat Rev Drug Discov 2011; 10: 685-697.
- 10 Kripke D.F., Langer R.D., Kline L.E. Hypnotics' association with mortality or cancer: a matched cohort study. BMJ Open 2012; 2: e000850.
- 11 Pilkington K., Kirkwood G., Rampes H., Fisher P., Richardson J. Homeopathy for anxiety and anxiety disorders: a systematic review of the research. Homeopathy 2006; 95: 151-162.
- 12 Trichard M., Lamure E., Chaufferin G. Study of the practice of homeopathic general practitioners in France. Homeopathy 2003; 92: 135-139.
- 13 Pedersen E.J., Norheim A.J., Fønnebe V. Attitudes of Norwegian physicians to homeopathy. A questionnaire among 2019 physicians on their cooperation with homeopathy specialists. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 1996; 116: 2186-2189.
- 14 Grolleau A., Bégaud B., Verdoux H. Characteristics associated with use of homeopathic drugs for psychiatric symptoms in the general population. Eur Psychiatry 2013; 28: 110-116.
- 15 Spielberger C.D., Gorsuch R.L., Lushene R.E. Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (self-evaluation questionnaire). Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologists Press; 1970.
- 16 Spielberger C.D. Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory. Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologists Press; 1983.
- 17 Spielberger C.D. STAI State-Trait Anxiety Inventory form Y. Firenze: Edizione Organizzazioni speciali; 1996.
- 18 Huh J., Goebert D., Takeshita J., Lu B.Y., Kang M. Treatment of generalized anxiety disorder: a comprehensive review of the literature for psychopharmacologic alternatives to newer antidepressants and benzodiazepines. Prim Care Companion CNS Disord 2011; 13 (02) PCC.08r00709.
- 19 Davidson J.R., Crawford C., Ives J.A., Jonas W.B. Homeopathic treatments in psychiatry: a systematic review of randomized placebo-controlled studies. J Clin Psychiatry 2011; 72: 795-805.
- 20 Sarris J., Moylan S., Camfield D.A. et al. Complementary medicine, exercise, meditation, diet, and lifestyle modification for anxiety disorders: a review of current evidence. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2012; 2012: 809653.
- 21 Baker D.G., Myers S.P., Howden I., Brooks L. The effects of homeopathic Argentum nitricum on test anxiety. Complement Ther Med 2003; 11: 65-71.
- 22 Mathie R.T., Robinson T.W. Outcomes from homeopathic prescribing in medical practice: a prospective, research-targeted, pilot study. Homeopathy 2006; 95: 199-205.
- 23 Cialdella P, Boissel J.P., Belon P.. Groupe de recherche ASTRHO. Homeopathic specialties as substitutes for benzodiazepines: double-blind vs. placebo study. Therapie 2001; 56: 397-402.
- 24 Holbrook A.M., Crowther R., Lotter A., Cheng C., King D. Meta-analysis of benzodiazepine use in the treatment of insomnia. CMAJ 2000; 162: 225-233.
- 25 Cooper K.L., Relton C. Homeopathy for insomnia: a systematic review of research evidence. Sleep Med Rev 2010; 14: 329-337.
- 26 Cooper K.L., Relton C. Homeopathy for insomnia: summary of additional RCT published since systematic review. Sleep Med Rev 2010; 14: 411.
- 27 Naudé D.F., Couchman I.M.S., Maharaj A. Chronic primary insomnia: efficacy of homeopathic simillimum. Homeopathy 2010; 99: 63-68.