The mathematics of dilution
Received10 May 2013
revised06 November 2013
accepted28 November 2013
18 December 2017 (online)
The major objection to homeopathic medicine is that the doses of medicine prescribed in some cases are too dilute for any active ingredient to be present. The medicines would hence be rendered inactive, necessitating novel explanations for the action. A further examination of dilution in the light of the Langmuir equation shows that homeopathic medicines may not be as dilute as a simplistic application of Avogadro's Principle suggests, due to surface effects.
- 1 Endler P.C., Thieves K., Reich C., Matthiesen P., Bonamin L., Scherr C.. et al. Repetitions of fundamental research models for homeopathically prepared dilutions beyond 10–23. Homeopathy 2010; 99: 25-36.
- 2 Benveniste J.. Human basophil degranulation triggered by very dilute antiserum against IgE. Nature 1988; 333: 816-818.
- 3 Maddox J., Randi J., Stewart W.W.. “High-dilution” experiments a delusion. Nature 1988; 334: 287-290 Benveniste J. Dr Jacques Benveniste replies. Nature 1988; 334: 291
- 4 Thomas Y.. The history of the memory of water. Homeopathy 2007; 96: 151-157.
- 5 Beauvais F.. Memory of water and blinding. Homeopathy 2008; 97: 41-42.
- 6 Montagnier L., Aissa J., Ferris S., Montagnier J.-L., Lavallee C.. Electromagnetic signals are produced by aqueous nanostructures derived from bacterial DNA sequences. Interdiscip Sci Comput Life Sci 2009; 1: 81-90.
- 7 Elia V., Baiano S., Duro I., Napoli E., Niccoli M., Nonatelli L.. Permanent physico-chemical properties of extremely diluted aqueous solutions of homeopathic medicines. Homeopathy 2004; 93: 144-150.
- 8 Anick D.J., Ives J.A.. The silica hypothesis for homeopathy: physical chemistry. Homeopathy 2007; 96: 189-195.
- 9 Private communication with Dr. Parimal Banerjee.
- 10 Anick D.J.. The octave potencies convention: a mathematical model of dilution and succussion. Homeopathy 2007; 96: 202-208.
- 11 Chikramane P.S., Kalita D., Suresh A.K., Kane S.G., Bellare J.R.. Why extreme dilutions reach non-zero asymptotes: a nanoparticulate hypothesis based on froth flotation. Langmuir 2012; 28: 15864-15875.
- 12 Gopal B.. Some studies on homeopathic medicines. Masters thesis 1992. Indian Institute of Technology (Kanpur);
- 13 Chikramane P.S., Suresh A.K., Bellare J.R., Kane S.G.. Extreme homeopathic dilutions retain starting materials: a nanoparticulate perspective. Homeopathy 2010; 99: 231-242.
- 14 Langmuir I.. The constitution and fundamental properties of solids and liquids. Part I. Solids. J Am Chem Soc 1916; 38: 2221-2295.
- 15 Chang C.H., Franses E.I.. Modified Langmuir-Hinshelwood kinetics for dynamic adsorption of surfactants at the air/water interface. Colloids Surf 1992; 69: 189-201.
- 16 Ives J.A., Moffett J.R., Arun P., Lam D., Todorov T.I., Brothers A.B.. et al. Enzyme stabilization by glass-derived silicates in glass-exposed aqueous solutions. Homeopathy 2010; 99: 15-24.
- 17 Anagnostatos G.S., Vithoulkas G., Garzonis P., Tavouxoglou C.. A working hypothesis for homoeopathic microdiluted remedies. Berl J Res Homoeopath 1991; 1: 141-147.
- 18 Lyell D.. An NMR study of the effect of succussion on parallel potencies of Natrum muriaticum. Masters thesis 2004. Department of Homoeopathy at Durban Institute of Technology;