Polycrystalline structures formed in evaporating droplets as a parameter to test the action of Zincum metallicum 30c in a wheat seed model
Received14 July 2015
revised30 September 2015
accepted07 October 2015
28 December 2017 (online)
Background: Polycrystalline structures formed inside evaporating droplets of different biological fluids have been shown sensitive towards various influences, including ultra high dilutions (UHDs), representing so a new approach potentially useful for basic research in homeopathy. In the present study we tested on a wheat seed model Zincum metallicum 30c efficacy versus lactose 30c and water.
Materials and methods: Stressed and non-stressed wheat seeds were watered with the three treatments. Seed-leakage droplets were evaporated and the polycrystalline structures formed inside the droplet residues were analyzed for their local connected fractal dimensions (LCFDs) (measure of complexity) using the software ImageJ.
Results: We have found significant differences in LCFD values of polycrystalline structures obtained from stressed seeds following the treatments (p < 0.0001); Zincum metallicum 30c lowered the structures' complexity compared to lactose 30c and water. In non-stressed seeds no significant differences were found.
Conclusions: The droplet evaporation method (DEM) might represent a potentially useful tool in basic research in homeopathy. Furthermore our results suggest a sensitization of the stressed model towards the treatment action, which is conforming to previous findings.
- 1 Rey L. Thermoluminescence of ultra-high dilutions of lithium chloride and sodium chloride. Physica (A) 2003; 323: 67-74.
- 2 Bell I.R., Lewis D.A., Brooks A.J., Lewis S.E., Schwartz G.E. Gas discharge visualisation evaluation of ultramolecular doses of homeopathic medicines under blinded, controlled conditions. J Altern Complement Med 2003; 9: 25-38.
- 3 Yinnon T.A., Elia V. Dynamics in perturbed very dilute aqueous solutions: theory and experimental evidence. Int J Mod Phys B 2013; 27 (05) (135005) 1-35.
- 4 Bellavite P., Marzotto M., Olioso D., Moratti E., Conforti A. High-dilution effects revised. 1. Physiochemical aspects. Homeopathy 103 2014; (01) 4-21.
- 5 Bellavite P., Marzotto M., Olioso D., Moratti E., Conforti A. High-dilution effects revised. 1. Pharmacodynamic mechanisms. Homeopathy 2014; 103 (01) 22-43.
- 6 Wiegant F.A.C., Van Wijk R. The similia principle: results obtained in a cellular model system. Homeopathy 2010; 99: 3-14.
- 7 Sainte-Laudy J., Belon P. Inhibition of human basophil activation by high dilutions of histamine. Agents Actions 1993; 38: 245-247.
- 8 Scherr C., Simon M., Sprangel J., Baumgartner S. Duckweed (Lemna gibba L.) as a test organism for homeopathic potencies. J Altern Complement Med 2007; 13 (09) 931-937.
- 9 Brizzi M., Elia V., Trebbi G., Nani D., Peruzzi M., Betti L. The efficacy of ultramolecular aqueous dilutions on a wheat germination model as a function of heat and aging-time. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2011. 10.1093/ecam/nep217.
- 10 Betti L., Trebbi G., Majewsky V. et al. Use of homeopathic preparations in phytopathological models and in field trials: a critical review. Homeopathy 2009; 98 (04) 244-266.
- 11 Majewsky V., Arlt S., Shah D. et al. Use of homeopathic preparations in experimental studies with healthy plants. Homeopathy 2009; 98 (04) 228-243.
- 12 Jäger T., Scherr C., Shah D. et al. Use of homeopathic preparations in experimental studies with abiotically stressed plants. Homeopathy 2011; 100 (04) 275-287.
- 13 Endler P.C., Pongratz W., van Wijk R., Kastberger G., Haidvogl M. Effects of highly diluted succussed thyroxin on metamorphosis of highland frogs. Berlin J Res Hom 1991; 1 (03) 151-160.
- 14 Mallick P., Mallick J.C., Guha B., Khuda-Bukhsh A.R. Ameliorating effect of microdoses of a potentized homeopathic drug, Arsenicum Album, on arsenic-induced toxicity in mice. J Altern Complement Med 2003; 3: 7.
- 15 Kokornaczyk M.O., Trebbi G., Dinelli G. et al. Droplet evaporation method as a new potential approach for highlighting the effectiveness of ultra high dilutions. Complement Ther Med 2014. 10.1016/j.ctim.2014.02.005.
- 16 Betti L., Trebbi G., Kokornaczyk M.O., Nani D., Peruzzi M., Brizzi M. Effectiveness of ultra high diluted arsenic as a function of succussion number as evidenced by wheat germination test and droplet evaporation method. Proceedings of the XXVII GIRI Symposium, Sep 03–04 Bern, Switzerland Int J High Dilution Res 2013; 12 (44) 127-128.
- 17 Baumgartner S., Doesburg P., Scherr C., Andersen J.O. Development of a biocrystallisation assay for examining effects of homeopathic preparations using cress seedlings. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2012; DOI: 10.1155/2012/125945.
- 18 Kokornaczyk M.O., Dinelli G., Marotti I., Benedettelli S., Nani D., Betti L. Self-organized crystallization patterns from evaporating droplets of common wheat grain leakages as a potential tool for quality analysis. ScientificWorldJournal 2011; 11: 1712-1725.
- 19 Kokornaczyk M.O., Dinelli G., Betti L. Approximate bilateral symmetry in evaporation-induced polycrystalline structures from wheat grain leakages and fluctuating asymmetry as quality indicator. Naturwissenschaften 2013; 100 (01) 111-115.
- 20 Busscher N., Kahl J., Andersen J.O. et al Standardization of the biocrystallization method for carrot samples. Biol Agric Hortic 2010; 27: 1-23.
- 21 Huber M., Andersen J.O., Kahl J. et al. Standardization and validation of the visual evaluation of biocrystallisations. Biol Agric Hortic 2010; 27: 25-40.
- 22 Pfeiffer E. Sensitive crystallization processes: a demonstration of formative forces in the blood. 1975. Anthroposophic Press; 59 ASIN B00073467S.
- 23 Killeen A.A., Ossina N., McGlennen R.C. et al. Protein self-organisation patterns in dried serum revel changes in B-cell disorders. Mol Diag Ther 2006; 10 (06) 371-380.
- 24 Yakhno T. Dynamic phase transition in drying drops as an information parameter of liquid structure. Nonlinear Dyn 2005; 39: 369-374.
- 25 Rolando M., Baldi F., Calabria G. Tear mucus crystallization in children with cystic fibrosis. Ophthalmologica 1988; 197 (04) 202-206.
- 26 Denisov A.B. Algorithm for evaluation of crystal figures obtained after drying of mixed saliva. Bull Exp Biol Med 2004; 7: 30-33.
- 27 Farahmand F., Sadjadei N., Haghi-Ashtiani M.T. et al. Comparison of classic sweat test and crystallization test in diagnosis of cystic fibrosis. Iran J Pediatr 2012; 22 (01) 102-106.
- 28 Jerman I., Ratajc P. A further indication of the self-ordering capacity of water via the droplet evaporation method. Entropy 2014; 16: 5211-5222.
- 29 Elia V., Germano R., Napoli E. Permanent dissipative structures in water: the matrix of life? Experimental evidence and their quantum origin. Curr Top Med Chem 2015; 15: 559-571.
- 30 Ciupa L., da Veiga F.K., Portocarrero A.R. Zincum metallicum 5cH increases survival and improves clinical mice infected with Trypanosoma cruzi. Proceedings of the XXVIII GIRI Symposium, June 20–22, Sighisoara, Romania Int J High Dilution Res 2014; 13 (47) 111-113.
- 31 Da Silva S.L.M., Coelho C., Soares L., Cesar A., Bernardi M.M., Holandino C. Behavioral parameters evaluation after homeopathic Zincum metallicum treatment: a transgenerational study in mice. Proceedings of the XXVIII GIRI Symposium, June 20–22, Sighisoara, Romania Int J High Dilution Res 2014; 13 (47) 137-138.
- 32 Ciupa L., Veiga F.K., Portocarrero A.R., Sandri P.F., Rodrigues W.N.S. Zincum metallicum highly diluted and Trypanosoma cruzi mice infection: a protocol to evaluation. Proceedings of the XXVII GIRI Symposium; Sep 03–04 Bern, Switzerland Int J High Dilution Res 2013; 12 (44) 143-145.
- 33 Costa B., Clark R., Esteves R., Siqueira C.M., Homsani F., Holandino C. Evaluation of physiochemical features of Zincum metallicum homeopathic solutions. Proceedings of the XXVII GIRI Symposium, Sep 03–04 Bern, Switzerland Int J High Dilution Res 2013; 12 (44) 85.
- 34 Marzotto M., Bonafini C., Olioso D. et al. Detection of nanostructures in solutions of Zincum metallicum and the vehicle lactose. Proceedings of the XXIX GIRI Symposium; June 03–04 Verona, Italy Int J High Dilution Res 2015; 14 (02) 41-44.
- 35 International Research Group of Very Low Dose and High Dilution Effects (GIRI). http://www.giriweb.com [accessed 25.04.15].
- 36 Collins T.J. ImageJ for microscopy. Biotechniques 2007; 43: 25-30.
- 37 Karperien A. FracLac for ImageJ: FracLac advanced user's manual. 2004–2005. http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/plugins/fraclac/fraclac-manual.pdf.
- 38 Boesch A. Virtuelles telescope. 2011. http://www.cybervisuals.ch/astro/astro.html.