Compound elevated skull fractures in adults: A series of five patients and review of literature
07 August 2012
22 October 2012
06 April 2017 (online)
In view of rarity of elevated skull fractures, this paper was written with aim of making all neurosurgeons familiar with this rare injury, its management and prognosis.
Material and methods
We operated five patients of compound elevated skull fractures over a period of last 5 years. Mode and mechanism of injury, extent of injury, clinical presentation, course of disease and outcome with treatment were studied.
Four out of these five patients improved after surgery without any complications.
Early recognition and appropriate management of compound elevated skull fractures gives good outcome and prevents unnecessary morbidity and mortality.
- 1 Bhaskar S.. Compound “elevated” fracture of the cranium. Neurol India 2010; 58: 149-151
- 2 Ralston B.L.. Compound elevated fractures of the skull. J Neurosurg 1976; 44: 77-79
- 3 Talha K.A., Selvapandian S., Asaduzzamman K., Selina F., Rahman M., Riad M.. Compound elevated skull fracture with occlusion of the superior sagittal sinus. A patient report. Kobe J Med Sci 2008; 54: E260-E263
- 4 Garg Nitin, Devi B. Indira, Maste Praful. Elevated skull fracture. IJNT 2007; 04: 133
- 5 Chhiber S.S., Wani M.A., Kirmani A.R.. et al Elevated skull fractures in pediatric age group: report of two patients. Turk Neurosurg 2011; 21 (03) 418-420
- 6 Balasubramaniam S., Tyagi D.K., Savant H.V.. Everted skull fracture. World Neurosurg 2011; 76: 479.e1-479.e3
- 7 Borkar S.A., Sinha S., Sharma B.S.. Post-traumatic compound elevated fracture of skull simulating a formal craniotomy. Turk Neurosurg 2009; 19: 103-105
- 8 Adeolu A.A., Shokunbi M.T., Malomo A.O., Komolafe E.O., Olateju S.O., Amusa Y.B.. Compound elevated skull fracture: a forgotten type of skull fracture. Surg Neurol 2006; 65: 503-505
- 9 Mohindra S., Singh H., Savardekar A.. Importance of an intact dura in management of compound elevated fractures; a short series and literature review. Brain Inj 2012; 26 (02) 194-198