Subscribe to RSS
A kinetic approach to caffeine–Coffea cruda interaction
Received08 July 2002
revised18 September 2002
accepted11 November 2002
27 December 2017 (online)
The biological effect of Coffea cruda 30c was investigated in rats pre and post treated with caffeine. The experimental subjects were male Wistar rats. Caffeine was administered intraperitoneally at the beginning of a sleep period. Coffea cruda 30c (0.1 ml) was administered orally, a contemporaneous control group was tested. The Electroencephalogram (EEG) was recorded in the parietal region during the following sleep cycle. The effect was evaluated by three EEG parameters: the spectral power in delta (0.5–2.5 Hz) and slow 0.32–0.48 Hz bands and the slow/delta power ratio. These markers were analyzed vs time for control and homeopathic groups, blind. In the pre-treated set, a similar pattern was identified for control and verum groups up to the 4th hour. From the 5th hour on, power in the delta band was statistically higher in the verum. Spectral power in the slow band and power ratio for the verum group was smaller than the control group from the 6th hour on. In the post-treated set, two verum sub-groups were identified: Post v-A: did not exhibit significant differences from control; Post v-B: displayed an opposite tendency than pre-treatment verum. We conclude that Coffea cruda 30c modifies sleep pattern increasing sleep intensity with preteatment. In a subset of the post-treated animals Coffea 30c appeared to reinforce the effects of caffeine.
- 1 Linde K. Are the clinical effects of homeopathy placebo effects? A meta analysis of placebo-controlled trials. Lancet 1997; 350: 834-843.
- 2 Ernst E, Hahn EG. (eds). Homoeopathy a Critical Appraisal. Oxford: Butterworths-Heinemann; 1998.
- 3 Poitevin B. Introducción a la Homeopatı́a: Bases experimentales y cientı́ficas. México: Nueva Editorial Homeopática Mexicana SA; 1992.
- 4 Belon P. (ed). Investigación en Homeopatı́a. Sainte-Foy-Les Lyon: Publicaciones y comentarios; 1999.
- 5 Anagnostatos GS, Vithoulkas G, Garzonis P, Tavouxoglou C. A working hypothesis for homeopathic microdiluted remedies. Berlin J Res Hom 1991; 1: 141-147.
- 6 Towsey MW, Hasan MY. Homoeopathy-a biophysical point of view. Br Hom J 1995; 84: 218-228.
- 7 Torres JL, Ruiz MG. Stochastic resonance and the homoeopathic effect. Br Hom J 1996; 85: 134-140.
- 8 Bellavite P, Lussignoli S, Semizzi ML, Ortolani R, Signorini A. The similia principle from cellular models to regulation of homeostasis. Br Hom J 1997; 86: 73-85.
- 9 Bonamin LV, Martinho KS, Nina AL, Caviglia F, Do Rio R GW. Very high dilutions of dexamethasone inhibit its pharmacological effects in vivo. Br Hom J 2001; 90: 198-203.
- 10 Belougne-Malfatti E, Aguejouf O. Combination of two doses of acetyl salicylic acid: Experimental study of arterial thrombosis. Thromb Res 1998; 90: 215-221.
- 11 Ruiz G, Torres J-L. Homeopathic effect on the sleep pattern of rats. Br Hom J 1997; 86: 201-206.
- 12 Ruiz-Vega G, Pérez-Ordaz L, Proa-Flores P, Aguilar-Díaz Y. An evaluation of Coffea cruda on rats. Br Hom J 2000; 89: 122-126.
- 13 Ruiz-Vega G, Pérez-Ordaz L, León-Huéramo O, Cruz-Vázquez E, Sánchez-Díaz N. Comparative effect of Coffea cruda potencies on rats. Homeopathy 2002; 91: 80-84.
- 14 Ruiz G, Torres J-L, Michel O, Navarro R. Homeopathic effect on heart rate variability. Br Hom J 1999; 88: 106-111.
- 15 Schwierin B, Borbély AA, Tobler I. Effects of N6 -cyclopentyladenosine and caffeine on sleep regulation in the rat. Eur J Pharmacol 1996; 300: 163-171.
- 16 Kirk REy, Othmer DF. Enciclopedia de tecnologı́a quı́mica. México: UTHEA; 1961.
- 17 Farmacopea Hpmeopática de los Estados Unidos Mexicanos. México: Secretarı́a de Salud; 1998.
- 18 Borbély AA, Tobler I, Hanagasioglu M. Effect of sleep deprivation on sleep and EEG spectra in the rat. Behav Brain Res 1984; 14: 171-182.
- 19 Rechtschaffen A, Kales A. (eds). A Manual of Standardized Terminology, Techniques and Score System for Sleep Stages of Human Subjects. Bethesda: Department of Health, Education and Welfare; 1968.
- 20 User Manual. Tulsa: StatSoft; 1995.
- 21 Steriade M, Amzica F. Coalescence of sleep rhythms and their chronology in corticothalamic networks. Sleep Res Online 1998; 1: 1-10.
- 22 Steriade, M, Impact of network activities on neuronal properties in corticothalamic systems, J Neurophysiol, 86, 1, 39.
- 23 Williams DA, Hurlburt JL. Mechanisms of second-order conditioning with a backward conditioned stimulus. J Exp Psychol Anim Behav Process 2000; 26: 340-351.
- 24 Bertani S, Lussignoli S, Andrioli G, Bellavite P, Conforti A. Dual effects of a homeopathic mineral comples on carrageenan-induced oedema in rats. Br Hom J 1999; 88: 101-105.
- 25 Bunde A, Havlin S. (Eds). Fractals in Science. Berlin: Springer; 1994.
- 26 Schroeder M. Fractal, Chaos, Power Laws. New York: W.H.Freeman and Company; 1991.
- 27 Millonas M. (Ed). Fluctuation and Order. New York: Springer; 1996.
- 28 Montero, F, Morán, F, Biofı́sica, Procesos de autoorganización en biologı́a
- 29 Hahnemann S. Organon of Medicine. Blaine: Cooper Publishing; 1996.
- 30 Madrid, EUDEMA, 1992, 222
- 31 Hecht E. Optics. Reading: Adison-Wesley; 1974.
- 32 Vijnovksky, B, Tratado de Materia Médica Homeopática, Buenos Aires, Macagno, Landa y Cı́a. SRL. 1978
- 33 Vannier L. La Práctica de la Homeopatı́a. México: Editorial Porrúa; 1991.
- 34 Huber MT, Krieg JC, Dewald M, Voigt K, Braun HA. Stimulus sensitivity and neuromodulatory properties of noisy intrinsic neuronal oscillators. Biosystems 1998; 48: 95-104.
- 35 Barr M, Kiernan J. The Human Nervous System. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Company; 1993.
- 36 Bethea RM, Duran BS, Boullion TL. Statistical Methods for Engineers and Scientists. New York: Marcel Dekker; 1985