Standards of hygiene for ultrasound-guided core cut biopsies of the breastArticle in several languages: English | deutsch
11 March 2018
09 July 2018
25 September 2018 (eFirst)
Purpose The aim was to obtain an overview of the hygiene measures undertaken during ultrasound guided core cut biopsies of the breast by experts certified by the German Society for Ultrasound in Medicine in order to derive recommendations for clinical routine, taking into account the available literature and the lack of evidence based guidelines.
Materials and Methods A survey was conducted with all members of the levels I to III of the breast ultrasound working group of the German Society for Ultrasound in Medicine. The estimation of the risk of infection after a core cut biopsy of the breast was asked for as well as the hygiene measures undertaken in practice to avoid infection.
Results The risk of infection after a core cut biopsy of the breast was estimated to be one per thousand (median value). The most commonly performed hygiene measures were a spray, wipe, spray desinfection (98.1 %) and the use of sterile gloves (54.7 %).
Conclusion Due to the very low risk of infection we recommend the routine use of gloves and an adequate skin disinfection. Contact of the transducer or of an unsterile contact medium with the biopsy needle is considered highly unlikely und should be avoided.
- 1 Meyer JE, Smith DN, Lester SC. et al. Large-core needle biopsy of nonpalpable breast lesions. Jama 1999; 281: 1638-1641
- 2 Sauer G, Deissler H, Strunz K. et al. Ultrasound-guided large-core needle biopsies of breast lesions: analysis of 962 cases to determine the number of samples for reliable tumour classification. British journal of cancer 2005; 92: 231-235 . doi:10.1038/sj.bjc.6602303
- 3 Verkooijen HM, Peeters PH, Buskens E. et al. Diagnostic accuracy of large-core needle biopsy for nonpalpable breast disease: a meta-analysis. British journal of cancer 2000; 82: 1017-1021 . doi:10.1054/bjoc.1999.1036
- 4 Smith DN, Rosenfield DarlingML, Meyer JE. et al. The utility of ultrasonografically guided large-core needle biopsy: results from 500 consecutive breast biopsies. Journal of ultrasound in medicine : official journal of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine 2001; 20: 43-49
- 5 Liberman L, Ernberg LA, Heerdt A. et al. Palpable breast masses: is there a role for percutaneous imaging-guided core biopsy?. American journal of roentgenology 2000; 175: 779-787 . doi:10.2214/ajr.175.3.1750779
- 6 KRINKO. Anforderungen an die Hygiene bei der Aufbereitung von Medizinprodukten. Bundesgesundheitsbl 2012; 55: 1244-1310
- 7 KRINKO. Anforderungen an die Hygiene bei Punktionen und Injektionen. Bundesgesundheitsbl 2011; 54: 1135-1144
- 8 Oleszkowicz SC, Chittick P, Russo V. et al. Infections associated with use of ultrasound transmission gel: proposed guidelines to minimize risk. Infection control and hospital epidemiology 2012; 33: 1235-1237 . doi:10.1086/668430
- 9 Provenzano DA, Liebert MA, Steen B. et al. Investigation of current infection-control practices for ultrasound coupling gel: a survey, microbiological analysis, and examination of practice patterns. Regional anesthesia and pain medicine 2013; 38: 415-424 . doi:10.1097/AAP.0b013e3182a0e12f
- 10 Lorentzen T, Nolsoe CP, Ewertsen C. et al. EFSUMB Guidelines on Interventional Ultrasound (INVUS), Part I. General Aspects (long Version). Ultraschall in der Medizin 2015; 36: E1-14 . doi:10.1055/s-0035-1553593
- 11 Reisenauer C, Fazzio RT, Hesley G. JOURNAL CLUB: Ultrasound-Guided Breast Interventions: Low Incidence of Infectious Complications With Use of an Uncovered Probe. American journal of roentgenology 2017; 208: 1147-1153 . doi:10.2214/Am J Roentgenol.16.16440
- 12 Bruening W, Fontanarosa J, Tipton K. et al. Systematic review: comparative effectiveness of core-needle and open surgical biopsy to diagnose breast lesions. Annals of internal medicine 2010; 152: 238-246 . doi:10.7326/0003-4819-152-1-201001050-00190
- 13 Roque DR, MacLaughlan S, Tejada-Berges T. Necrotizing infection of the breast after core needle biopsy. The breast journal 2013; 19: 201-202 . doi:10.1111/tbj.12088
- 14 Kasprowicz N, Bauerschmitz GJ, Schonherr A. et al. Recurrent Mastitis after Core Needle Biopsy: Case Report of an Unusual Complication after Core Needle Biopsy of a Phyllodes Tumor. Breast care 2012; 7: 240-244 . doi:10.1159/000339689
- 15 Flandrin A, Rouleau C, Azar CC. et al. First report of a necrotising fasciitis of the breast following a core needle biopsy. The breast journal 2009; 15: 199-201 . doi:10.1111/j.1524-4741.2009.00697.x
- 16 Infektionssschutzgesetz. https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/ifsg/ Letzter Zugriff 11.03.2018
- 17 Mueller T. et al. DEGUM-Empfehlungen zur Hygiene in Sonografie und Endosonografie. Ultraschall in der Medizin, in press.