How small can small nerves be for diagnostic ultrasonography?Wie klein können kleine Nerven sein für den diagnostischen Ultraschall?
05 August 2019 (online)
Ultrasonography is the method of choice for imaging the peripheral nervous system . Clinically, imaging especially of small peripheral nerves is relevant for the following purposes: (i) their localization for avoiding harm during surgical or other invasive procedures   , (ii) the targeting of therapeutics or surgical procedures at these nerves     , and (iii) the measuring of their caliber for assessing compressive, inflammatory or degenerative neuropathies       .
- 1 Walker FO, Cartwright MS, Alter KE. et al. Indications for neuromuscular ultrasound: Expert opinion and review of the literature. Clin Neurophysiol 2018; 129: 2658-2679
- 2 Kessler J, Schafhalter-Zoppoth I, Gray AT. An ultrasound study of the phrenic nerve in the posterior cervical triangle: implications for the interscalene brachial plexus block. Reg Anesth Pain Med 2008; 33: 545-550
- 3 Hong MJ, Baek JH, Kim DY. et al. Spinal Accessory Nerve: Ultrasound Findings and Correlations with Neck Lymph Node Levels. Ultraschall in Med 2016; 37: 487-491
- 4 Konschake M, Burger F, Zwierzina M. Peripheral Nerve Anatomy Revisited: Modern Requirements for Neuroimaging and Microsurgery. Anat Rec (Hoboken) 2019; DOI: 10.1002/ar.24125.
- 5 Gruber H, Kovacs P, Piegger J. et al. New, simple, ultrasound-guided inﬁltration of the pudendal nerve: topographic basics. Dis Colon Rectum 2001; 44: 1376-1380
- 6 Blichfeldt-Eckhardt MR, Laursen CB, Berg H. et al. A randomised, controlled, double-blind trial of ultrasound-guided phrenic nerve block to prevent shoulder pain after thoracic surgery. Anaesthesia 2016; 71: 1441-1448
- 7 Aydın T, Şen Eİ, Yardımcı MY. et al. Efficacy of ultrasound-guided suprascapular nerve block treatment in patients with painful hemiplegic shoulder. Neurol Sci 2019; 40: 985-991
- 8 Ellis J, Schneider JR, Cloney M. et al. Lateral Femoral Cutaneous Nerve Decompression Guided by Preoperative Ultrasound Mapping. Cureus 2018; 10: e3652
- 9 Forney MC, Li X, Prayson R. et al. Technically successful ultrasound-guided percutaneous sural nerve needle biopsy in a patient with indeterminate peripheral neuropathy. Skeletal Radiol 2019; 48: 1105-1109
- 10 Wu WT, Chang KV, Mezian K. et al. Basis of Shoulder Nerve Entrapment Syndrome: An Ultrasonographic Study Exploring Factors Influencing Cross-Sectional Area of the Suprascapular Nerve. Front Neurol 2018; 9: 902
- 11 Jang JH, Cho CS, Yang KS. et al. Pattern analysis of nerve enlargement using ultrasonography in chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy. Clin Neurophysiol 2014; 125: 1893-1899
- 12 Winter N, Dammeier N, Schäffer E. et al. Nerve Ultrasonography as an Additive Tool to Clinical Examination and Electrodiagnostics in Sporadic Mononeuritis – Imaging is the Key. Ultraschall in Med 2019; DOI: 10.1055/a-0919-4768. (this issue)
- 13 Chaduvula MV, Visser LH, Suneetha S. et al. High-Resolution Sonography as an Additional Diagnostic and Prognostic Tool to Monitor Disease Activity in Leprosy: A Two-Year Prospective Study. Ultraschall in Med 2018; 39: 80-89
- 14 Tsukita K, Taguchi T, Sakamaki-Tsukita H. et al. The vagus nerve becomes smaller in patients with Parkinson's disease: A preliminary cross-sectional study using ultrasonography. Parkinsonism Relat Disord 2018; 55: 148-149
- 15 Pivec C, Sillat T, Moritz T. et al. A Rare Case of Guyon’s Canal Syndrome Caused by Cystic Adventitia Degeneration: High-Resolution Ultrasound Findings. Ultraschall in Med 2017; 38: 556-557
- 16 Lieba-Samal D, Pivec C, Platzgummer H. et al. High-Resolution Ultrasound for Diagnostic Assessment of the Great Auricular Nerve-Normal and First Pathologic Findings. Ultraschall in Med 2015; 36: 342-347
- 17 Lieba-Samal D, Morgenbesser J, Moritz T. et al. Visualization of the Long Thoracic Nerve using High-Resolution Sonography. Ultraschall in Med 2015; 36: 264-269
- 18 Pivec C, Bodner G, Mayer JA. et al. Novel Demonstration of the Anterior Femoral Cutaneous Nerves using Ultrasound. Ultraschall in Med 2018; DOI: 10.1055/s-0043-121628.
- 19 Puma A, Azulay N, Grecu N. et al. Comparison of high-frequency and ultrahigh-frequency probes in chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy. J Neurol 2019; DOI: 10.1007/s00415-019-09392-z.
- 20 Coraci D, Gentile L, Tannous Cordenonssi J. et al. Letter to the Editor: "Who seeks finds, who compares discovers". Usefulness of ultrasound to assess small nerve branches. Rom J Morphol Embryol 2018; 59: 1007-1008
- 21 Chang KV, Mezian K, Naňka O. et al. Ultrasound Imaging for the Cutaneous Nerves of the Extremities and Relevant Entrapment Syndromes: From Anatomy to Clinical Implications. J Clin Med 2018; 7: E457
- 22 Causeret A, Ract I, Jouan J. et al. A review of main anatomical and sonographic features of subcutaneous nerve injuries related to orthopedic surgery. Skeletal Radiol 2018; 47: 1051-1068
- 23 Le Corroller T, Santiago E, Deniel A. et al. Anatomical study of the medial plantar proper digital nerve using ultrasound. Eur Radiol 2019; 29: 40-45
- 24 Walter U, Tsiberidou P. Differential age-, gender-, and side-dependency of vagus, spinal accessory, and phrenic nerve calibers detected with precise ultrasonography measures. Muscle Nerve 2019; 59: 486-491
- 25 Geannette C, Lee S, Nwawka O. Sonographic appearance of flexor carpi radialis tenosynovitis associated with a neuritis of the palmar cutaneous branch of the median nerve. Muscle Nerve 2019; DOI: 10.1002/mus.26508.
- 26 Flores S, Herring AA. Ultrasound-guided dorsal penile nerve block for ED paraphimosis reduction. Am J Emerg Med 2015; 33: 863.e3–5
- 27 Nielsen TD, Moriggl B, Barckman J. et al. Randomized trial of ultrasound-guided superior cluneal nerve block. Reg Anesth Pain Med 2019; DOI: 10.1136/rapm-2018-100174.