COVID-19 and Sodium-Glucose Cotransporter 2 Inhibitors: No Fear to Attempt?Funding: No funding or sponsorship was received for this study or publication of this article.
Novel coronavirus infectious disease (COVID-19) has been recognised as a pandemic by the World Health Organization (WHO) . Mortality and morbidity are higher in elderly individuals and those with comorbidities, such as diabetes mellitus (DM), obesity, hypertension, respiratory tract diseases, coronary heart disease or cancer . Indeed, two thirds of individuals who died from COVID-19 had DM in Italy .
Received: 26 May 2020
Received: 02 August 2020
Accepted: 06 August 2020
10 September 2020 (online)
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
© Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Stuttgart · New York
- 1 Wang D, Hu B, Hu C. et al. Clinical Characteristics of 138 hospitalized patients with 2019 novel coronavirus–infected pneumonia in Wuhan, China. JAMA 2020; 323: 1061-1069
- 2 Remuzzi A, Remuzzi G. COVID-19 and Italy: what next?. Lancet 2020; 395: 1225-1228
- 3 Chen C, Chen C, Yan JT. et al Analysis of myocardial injury in patients with COVID-19 and association between concomitant cardiovascular diseases and severity of COVID-19. Zhonghua Xin Xue Guan Bing Za Zhi 2020; 48: E008
- 4 Cheng Y, Luo R, Wang K. et al. Kidney disease is associated with in-hospital death of patients with COVID-19. Kidney Int 2020; 97: 829-838
- 5 Ceriello A. Hyperglycemia and the worse prognosis of COVID-19. Why a fast blood glucose control should be mandatory. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2020; 163: 108186
- 6 Penlioglou T, Papachristou S, Papanas N. COVID-19 and diabetes mellitus: May old anti-diabetic agents become the new philosopher’s stone?. Diabetes Ther 2020; 11: 1-3
- 7 Zelniker TA, Wiviott SD, Raz I. et al. SGLT2 inhibitors for primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular and renal outcomes in type 2 diabetes: A systematic review and meta-analysis of cardiovascular outcome trials. Lancet 2019; 393: 31-39
- 8 US National Library of Medicine. Dapagliflozin in respiratory failure in patients with COVID-19; DARE-19. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04350593. Last accessed: 01 August 2020
- 9 US National Library of Medicine. MulTi-Arm Therapeutic Study in Pre-ICu Patients Admitted With Covid-19 - Experimental Drugs and Mechanisms. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04393246. Last accessed: 01 August 2020
- 10 Packer M. Do sodium-glucose co-transporter 2 inhibitors prevent heart failure with a preserved ejection fraction by counterbalancing the effects of leptin?. Diabetes Obes Metab 2018; 20: 1361-1366
- 11 Tsioufis C, Andrikou E, Thomopoulos C. et al Oral glucose-lowering drugs and cardiovascular outcomes: from the negative RECORD and ACCORD to neutral TECOS and promising EMPA-REG. Curr Vasc Pharmacol 2017; 15: 457-468
- 12 Iannaccone G, Scacciavillani R, Del Buono MG et al. Weathering the cytokine storm in COVID-19: therapeutic implications. Cardiorenal Med 2020; June 29 [Epub ahead of print]
- 13 Gonzalez-Rubio J, Navarro-Lopez C, Lopez-Najera E. et al. Cytokine release syndrome (CRS) and nicotine in COVID-19 patients: Trying to calm the storm. Front Immunol 2020; 11: 1359
- 14 Kawanami D, Matoba K, Takeda Y. et al. SGLT2 inhibitors as a therapeutic option for diabetic nephropathy. Int J Mol Sci 2017; 18: 1083
- 15 Shakespeare W. Measure for Measure. In: Wells S, Taylor G, Eds. The complete works of William Shakespeare 1st Edition. Oxford University Press; Oxford: 1988: 794