Subscribe to RSS
Gouty Tophus of a Flexor Tendon at the Level of the WristGichttophus entlang einer Fingerbeugesehne proximal des Handgelenkes
Gout (lat. diathesis uraemica) is a metabolic and inflammatory disease associated with increased synthesis or reduced excretion of the uric acid. The aetiology and pathogenesis involve genetic predispositions (SLC2A9 gene polymorphism), environmental factors (effect of alcohol, an excess of purines, fructose, use of diuretics) and coexisting diseases (metabolic syndrome, diabetes, renal failure). The disease is six times fold more frequent in men than in women , . Crystallisation of monosodium urate crystals in the synovial fluid and their deposition in joints and periarticular tissues results in damage of the cartilage, joint capsule, ligaments and tendons. In approximately 50–60 % of patients, formation of gouty nodules usually occurs around the joints. Deposition of monosodium urate in the tendons is not uncommon, but it usually has a form of infiltration (incrustation) of the tendon by urate crystals rather than a regular nodule with well-defined capsule.
We present a case of an isolated gouty nodule involving the superficial flexor tendon of the ring finger proximal of the wrist in a patient with no history of gout.
Article published online:
01 December 2021
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Kasper IR, Juriga MD, Giurini JM. et al. Treatment of tophaceous gout: When medication is not enough. Semin Arthritis Rheum 2016; 45: 669-674
- 2 Slowinska I, Slowinski R, Rutkowska-Sak L. Tophi – surgical treatment. Reumatologia 2016; 54: 267-272 DOI: 10.5114/reum.2016.63819.
- 3 Piza-Katzer H, Kömürcü F, Reining-Festa A. Chirurgische Therapie ausgeprägter Gichttophi an beiden Händen. Fallbericht. Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir 1997; 29: 96-100
- 4 Aslam N, Lo S, McNab I. Gouty flexor tenosynovitis of the digits: report of three cases. J Hand Surg Am 2004; 29: 526 DOI: 10.1016/j.jhsa.2004.02.004.
- 5 Therimadasamy A, Peng YP, Putti TC. et al. Carpal tunnel syndrome caused by gouty tophus of the flexor tendons of the fingers: sonographic features. J Clin Ultrasound 2011; 39: 463-465 DOI: 10.1002/jcu.20799.
- 6 Tajika T, Kuboi T, Mieda T. et al. Digital flexion contracture caused by tophaceous gout in flexor tendon. SAGE Open Med Case Rep 2019; 22: 7 DOI: 10.1177/2050313X19844708.