Morphologic and Clinical Aspects of Danon Disease in a Patient with a Mutation c.137G > A in the LAMP-2 Gene
24 July 2012
10 January 2013
16 March 2013 (online)
Background Danon disease is caused by a primary deficiency of lysosome-associated membrane protein-2 (LAMP-2).
Materials and Methods Our study describes a 19-year-old man with isolated hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, in whom we performed DNA analysis and compared results of microscopic analysis of skeletal and cardiac muscles.
Results Sequencing of the LAMP-2 gene revealed a novel point mutation c.137G > A in exon 2, leading to premature stop codon. Ultrastructural analysis of cardiac and skeletal muscles revealed the presence of unusual autophagic vacuoles in both. Although some vacuoles in skeletal muscle reacted strongly with dystrophin, β-sarcoglycan, and laminin, those in cardiomyocytes showed no immunoreactivity.
Conclusion Our immunohistochemical and ultrastructural findings reinforce the claim that in Danon disease the pathomechanism of chaperone-mediated autophagy in cardiomyocytes differs from that in skeletal muscle.
- 1 Danon MJ, Oh SJ, DiMauro S , et al. Lysosomal glycogen storage disesase with normal acid maltase. Neurology 1981; 31: 51-57
- 2 Lobrinus JA, Schorderet DF, Payot M , et al. Morphological, clinical and genetic aspect in a family with a novel LAMP-2 gene mutation (Danon disease). Neuromuscul Disord 2005; 15: 293-298
- 3 Nishino I, Fu J, Tanji K , et al. Primary LAMP-2 deficiency causes X-linked vacuolar cardiomyopathy and myopathy (Danon disease). Nature 2000; 406: 906-911
- 4 Sugie K, Yamamoto A, Murayama K , et al. Clinicopathological features of genetically confirmed Danon disease. Neurology 2002; 58: 1773-1778
- 5 Bandyopadhyay U, Kaushik S, Varticovski L, Cuervo AM. The chaperone-mediated autophagy receptor organizes in dynamic protein complexes at the lysosomal membrane. Mol Cell Biol 2008; 28: 5747-5763
- 6 Kon M, Cuervo AM. Chaperone-mediated autophagy in health and disease. FEBS Lett 2010; 584: 1399-1404
- 7 Fanin M, Nascimbeni AC, Fulizio L, Spinazzi M, Melacini P, Angelini C. Generalized lysosomal-associated membrane protein 2 defect explains multisystem clinical involvement and allows leukocyte diagnosis screening in Danon disease. Am J Pathol 2006; 168: 1309-1320
- 8 Echaniz-Laguna A, Mohr M, Epailly E , et al. Novel Lamp-2 gene mutation and successful treatment with heart transplantation in a large family with Danon disease. Muscle Nerve 2006; 33: 393-397
- 9 Horvath J, Ketelsen UP, Geibel-Zehender A , et al. Identification of a novel LAMP-2 mutation responsible for X-chromosomal dominant Danon disease. Neuropediatrics 2003; 34: 270-273
- 10 Balmer CH, Ballhausen D, Bosshard NU , et al. Familial X-linked cardiomyopathy (Danon disease): diagnostic confirmation by mutation analysis of the LAMP2 gene. Eur J Pediatr 2005; 164: 509-514
- 11 Dougu N, Joho S, Shan L , et al. Novel LAMP-2 mutation in a family with Danon disease presenting with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Circ J 2009; 73: 376-380
- 12 Regelsberger G, Höftberger R, Pickl WF , et al. Danon disease: case report and detection of new mutation. J Inherit Metab Dis 2009; ; Epub 2009 Jul 7.
- 13 Hong D, Shi Z, Wang Z, Yuan Y. Danon disease caused by two novel mutations of the LAMP2 gene: implications for two ends of the clinical spectrum. Clin Neuropathol 2012; 31: 224-231
- 14 Tuñón T, Guerrero D, Urchaga A , et al. Danon disease: a novel Lamp-2 gene mutation in a family with four affected members. Neuromuscul Disord 2008; 18: 167-174
- 15 Cottinet SL, Bergemer-Fouquet AM, Toutain A , et al. Danon disease: intrafamilial phenotypic variability related to a novel LAMP-2 mutation. J Inherit Metab Dis 2011; 34: 515-522
- 16 Yang Z, Funke BH, Cripe LH , et al. LAMP2 microdeletions in patients with Danon disease. Circ Cardiovasc Genet 2010; 3: 129-137
- 17 Fidziańska A, Walczak E, Walski M , et al. Morphological and clinical aspects of Danon disease. Kardiol Pol 2008; 66: 302-306
- 18 Fidziańska A, Walczak E, Walski M. Abnormal chaperone-mediated autophagy (CMA) in cardiomyocytes of a boy with Danon disease. Folia Neuropathol 2007; 45: 133-139
- 19 Eskelinen EL, Illert AL, Tanaka Y , et al. Role of LAMP-2 in lysosome biogenesis and autophagy. Mol Cell Biol 2002; 13: 3355-3368
- 20 Wing SS, Chiang HL, Goldberg AL, Dice JF. Proteins containing peptide sequence related to Lys-Phe-Glu-Arg-Gln are selectively depleted in liver and heart but not skeletal muscle of fasted rats. Biochem J 1991; 275: 165-169
- 21 Chiang HL, Terlecky SR, Plant CP, Dice JF. A role of 70-kilodalton heat shock protein in lysosomal degradation of intracellular proteins. Science 1989; 246: 382-385
- 22 Murakami N, Goto Y, Itoh M , et al. Sarcolemmal identation in cardiomyoapthy with mental retardation and vacuolar myopathy. Neuromuscul Disord 1995; 5: 149-155
- 23 Sugie K, Noguchi S, Kozuka Y , et al. Autophagic vacuoles with sarcolemmal features delineate Danon disease and related myopathies. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 2005; 64: 513-522
- 24 De Bleecker JL, Engel AG, Winkelmann JC. Localization of dystrophin and beta-spectrin in vacuolar myopathies. Am J Pathol 1993; 143: 1200-1208