Effect of Defensive Pressure on Movement Behaviour During an Under-18 Basketball Game
accepted after revision 11 November 2013
09 May 2014 (online)
The aim of this study was to examine the effect of defensive pressure on movement behaviour during an under-18 basketball game. 20 international male players (age: M=16.05, SD=2.09 years old; weekly practice: M=10.9, SD=1.94 h; playing experience: M=7.1, SD=1.1 years) played two 10-min basketball quarters, using man-to-man ¼-court for the first 4 min (F¼), man-to-man full court defence for the next 3 min (FULL), and man-to-man ¼-court defence for the last 3 min (S¼). The positional data were captured by the Ubisense Real Time Location System and analysed with non-linear signal processing methods (approximate entropy) and repeated measures ANOVA. There were differences in the regularity values between F¼ and FULL in distance to the basket and to the opponents’ basket. A stronger in-phase attraction in both lateral and longitudinal directions was identified; however, the centroids (i. e., the mean position from all team players) were closer and revealed higher values of irregularity in lateral displacements for all defensive systems. The individual speed displacements became more coordinated with teammates, particularly in the offensive court. Overall, this study provided evidence on how changing the level of defensive pressure promotes different collective behaviours.
- 1 Atkinson G, Batterham AM, Hopkins WG. Sports performance research under the spotlight. Int J Sports Med 2012; 33: 949-949
- 2 Ben Abdelkrim N, Castagna C, El Fazaa S, El Ati J. The effect of players’ standard and tactical strategy on game demands in men’s basketball. J Strength Cond Res 2010; 24: 2652-2662
- 3 Bourbousson J, Seve C, McGarry T. Space-time coordination dynamics in basketball: Part 1. Intra- and inter-couplings among player dyads. J Sports Sci 2010; 28: 339-347
- 4 Bourbousson J, Seve C, McGarry T. Space-time coordination dynamics in basketball: Part 2. The interaction between the two teams. J Sports Sci 2010; 28: 349-358
- 5 Davids K, Araújo D, Correia V, Vilar L. How small-sided and conditioned games enhance acquisition of movement and decision-making skills. Exerc Sport Sci Rev 2013; 41: 154-161
- 6 Davids K, Glazier P, Araujo D, Bartlett R. Movement systems as dynamical systems: The functional role of variability and its implications for sports medicine. Sports Med 2003; 33: 245-260
- 7 Duarte R, Araújo D, Correia V, Davids K. Sports teams as superorganisms: Implications of sociobiological models of behaviour for research and practice in team sports performance analysis. Sports Med 2012; 42: 633-642
- 8 Duarte R, Araujo D, Davids K, Travassos B, Gazimba V, Sampaio J. Interpersonal coordination tendencies shape 1-vs-1 sub-phase performance outcomes in youth soccer. J Sports Sci 2012; 30: 871-877
- 9 Duarte R, Araújo D, Freire L, Folgado H, Fernandes O, Davids K. Intra- and inter-group coordination patterns reveal collective behaviors of football players near the scoring zone. Hum Mov Sci 2012; DOI: 10.1016/j.humov.2012.03.001.
- 10 Esteves P, Araújo D, Davids K, Vilar L, Travassos B, Esteves C. Interpersonal dynamics and relative positioning to scoring target of performers in 1 vs. 1 sub-phases of team sports. J Sports Sci 2012; 30: 1285-1293
- 11 Frencken W, Lemmink K, Delleman N, Visscher C. Oscillations of centroid position and surface area of soccer teams in small-sided games. Eur J Sport Sci 2011; 11: 215-223
- 12 Frencken W, Poel H, Visscher C, Lemmink K. Variability of inter-team distances associated with match events in elite-standard soccer. J Sports Sci 2012; 30: 1207-1213
- 13 Garcia J, Ibanez SJ, De Santos RM, Leite N, Sampaio J. Identifying basketball performance indicators in regular season and playoff games. J Hum Kinet 2013; 36: 161-168
- 14 Glazier PS. Game, set and match? Substantive issues and future directions in performance analysis. Sports Med 2010; 40: 625-634
- 15 Gomes A, Evangelos T, Alberto L. Defensive systems in basketball ball possessions. Int J Perf Anal Spor 2006; 6: 98-107
- 16 Gomez MA, Lorenzo A, Ibanez SJ, Sampaio J. Ball possession effectiveness in men’s and women’s elite basketball according to situational variables in different game periods. J Sports Sci 2013; DOI: 10.1080/02640414.2013.792942.
- 17 Gonçalves BV, Figueira BE, Maçãs V, Sampaio J. Effect of player position on movement behaviour, physical and physiological performances during an 11-a-side football game. J Sports Sci 2013; DOI: 10.1080/02640414.2013.816761. 1-9
- 18 Harriss DJ, Atkinson G. Ethical standards in sports and exercise science research: 2014 update. Int J Sports Med 2013; 34: 1025-1028
- 19 Hill-Haas S, Rowsell G, Coutts A, Dawson B. The reproducibility of physiological responses and performance profiles of youth soccer players in small-sided games. Int Sport Physiol 2008; 3: 393-396
- 20 Hopkins WG. http://www.sportsci.org/resource/stats/effectmag.html [accessed, 170713] 2002
- 21 Hristovski R, Davids K, Araujo D, Passos P. Constraints-induced emergence of functional novelty in complex neurobiological systems: A basis for creativity in sport. Nonlinear Dynamics Psychol Life Sci 2011; 15: 175-206
- 22 Kannekens R, Elferink-Gemser MT, Visscher C. Positioning and deciding: key factors for talent development in soccer. Scand J Med Sci Spor 2011; 21: 846-852
- 23 Klusemann MJ, Pyne DB, Fay TS, Drinkwater EJ. Online video-based resistance training improves the physical capacity of junior basketball athletes. J Strength Cond Res 2012; 26: 2677-2684
- 24 Knicker AJ, Renshaw I, Oldham ARH, Cairns SP. Interactive processes link the multiple symptoms of fatigue in sport competition. Sports Med 2011; 41: 307-328
- 25 Kubatko J, Oliver D, Pelton K, Rosenbaum D. A starting point for analyzing basketball statistics. J Quant Anal Sports 2007; 3: 1-22
- 26 Leser R. Accuracy test of a wireless position tracking system for measuring sports activities. Pre-Olympic Congress of the International Association of Computer Science in Sport; 24 July 2012 Liverpool, UK
- 27 Palut Y, Zanone PG. A dynamical analysis of tennis: Concepts and data. J Sports Sci 2005; 23: 1021-1032
- 28 Passos P, Araujo D, Davids K, Gouveia L, Serpa S. Interpersonal dynamics in sport: The role of artificial neural networks and 3-D analysis. Behav Res Methods 2006; 38: 683-691
- 29 Pincus SM. Approximate entropy as a measure of system-complexity. P Natl Acad Sci USA 1991; 88: 2297-2301
- 30 Richman JS, Moorman JR. Physiological time-series analysis using approximate entropy and sample entropy. Am J Physiol C 2000; 278: H2039-H2049
- 31 Sampaio J, Abrantes C, Gonçalves B, Rentero L, Leite N. Exploring how basketball players’ tactical performances can be affected by activity workload. Sci Sport 2013; DOI: 10.1016/j.scispo.2013.05.004.
- 32 Sampaio J, Drinkwater EJ, Leite NM. Effects of season period, team quality, and playing time on basketball players’ game-related statistics. Eur J Sport Sci 2010; 10: 141-149
- 33 Sampaio J, Janeira M. Statistical analyses of basketball team performance: understanding team’s wins and losses according to a different index of ball possesions. Int J Perf Anal Spor 2003; 3: 40-49
- 34 Sampaio J, Lago C, Gonçalves B, Victor M, Leite N. Effects of pacing, status and unbalance in time motion variables, heart rate and tactical behaviour when playing 5-a-side football small-sided games. J Sci Med Sport 2013; DOI: 10.1016/j.jsams.2013.04.005.
- 35 Sampaio J, Maçãs V. Measuring tactical behaviour in football. Int J Sports Med 2012; 33: 395-401
- 36 Schmidt R, Lee T. Motor Control and Learning. A Behavioral Emphasis. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 1999
- 37 Stergiou N, Buzzi U, Kurz M, Heidel J. Nonlinear tools in human movement. In: Stergiou N. ed Innovative analyses of human movement. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 2004: 63-90
- 38 Travassos B, Araujo D, Duarte R, McGarry T. Spatiotemporal coordination behaviors in futsal (indoor football) are guided by informational game constraints. Hum Mov Sci 2012; DOI: 10.1016/j.humov.2011.10.004.
- 39 Tsimachidis C, Patikas D, Galazoulas C, Bassa E, Kotzamanidis C. The post-activation potentiation effect on sprint performance after combined resistance/sprint training in junior basketball players. J Sports Sci 2013; DOI: 10.1080/02640414.2013.771817. 1-8
- 40 Ubisense. http://www.ubisense.net/en/ [accessed, 091012] 2012
- 41 Vilar L, Araújo D, Davids K, Button C. The role of ecological dynamics in analysing performance in team sports. Sports Med 2012; 42: 1-10
- 42 Vilar L, Araujo D, Davids K, Travassos B. Constraints on competitive performance of attacker-defender dyads in team sports. J Sports Sci 2012; 30: 459-469
- 43 Vilar L, Araújo D, Davids K, Travassos B, Duarte R, Parreira J. Interpersonal coordination tendencies supporting the creation/prevention of goal scoring opportunities in futsal. Eur J Sport Sci 2012; DOI: 10.1080/17461391.2012.725103. 1-8
- 44 Wootten M, Gilbert D. Coaching Basketball Successfully. 2nd (ed.). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 2003