Endovascular Repair of Paravisceral Aortic Aneurysms Combining Chimney Grafts and the Nellix Endovascular Aneurysm Sealing Technology (Four-Vessel ChEVAS)
23 August 2015
11 December 2015
18 February 2016 (online)
Background We demonstrate our initial experience and first results of the endovascular aneurysm sealing (EVAS) technology with chimney grafts for the treatment of paravisceral aneurysms.
Methods We present a consecutive series of seven patients with a mean age of 75 years who had been treated by four-vessel-chimney EVAS (ChEVAS) between May 2014 and May 2015. All patients were ASA grade ≥ III and were not eligible for fenestrated/branched endovascular aortic repair (fEVAR/brEVAR) due to urgency (n = 5) or anatomical constraints (n = 2).
Results Total 28 renovisceral target vessels were treated by balloon-expandable covered stents and 14 Nellix devices were used to seal the paravisceral aorta. Overall, 16 Nellix (Endologix Inc., Irvine, California, United States) devices and 65 covered stents were implanted with a technical success of 100%. Perioperatively, one patient with ruptured aneurysm died due to respiratory failure following splenic laceration/splenectomy (mortality = 14%) and in one patient, laceration of an axillary access vessel occurred. At a median follow-up of 6 months, all six surviving patients were well and no reinterventions were necessary. One chimney was found occluded without clinical sequelae resulting in a patency rate of 96%.
Conclusion Four-vessel ChEVAS may serve as alternative treatment option in highly selected cases of either acute paravisceral aortic pathology and/or situations, where the implantation of fEVAR/brEVAR is hampered by anatomical constraints. Further follow-up and a multicenter study are of course warranted to corroborate these initial results.
- 1 Haulon S, Greenberg RK. Part two: treatment of type IV thoracoabdominal aneurysms—fenestrated stent-graft repair is now the best option. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2011; 42 (1) 4-8
- 2 Verhoeven EL, Katsargyris A, Bekkema F , et al. Editor's choice—ten-year experience with endovascular repair of thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysms: results from 166 consecutive patients. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2015; 49 (5) 524-531
- 3 Guillou M, Bianchini A, Sobocinski J , et al. Endovascular treatment of thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysms. J Vasc Surg 2012; 56 (1) 65-73
- 4 Mastracci TM, Greenberg RK, Eagleton MJ, Hernandez AV. Durability of branches in branched and fenestrated endografts. J Vasc Surg 2013; 57 (4) 926-933 , discussion 933
- 5 Donas KP, Torsello G, Bisdas T, Osada N, Schönefeld E, Pitoulias GA. Early outcomes for fenestrated and chimney endografts in the treatment of pararenal aortic pathologies are not significantly different: a systematic review with pooled data analysis. J Endovasc Ther 2012; 19 (6) 723-728
- 6 Katsargyris A, Oikonomou K, Klonaris C, Töpel I, Verhoeven EL. Comparison of outcomes with open, fenestrated, and chimney graft repair of juxtarenal aneurysms: are we ready for a paradigm shift?. J Endovasc Ther 2013; 20 (2) 159-169
- 7 Criado FJ. A percutaneous technique for preservation of arch branch patency during thoracic endovascular aortic repair (TEVAR): retrograde catheterization and stenting. J Endovasc Ther 2007; 14 (1) 54-58
- 8 Moulakakis KG, Mylonas SN, Avgerinos E , et al. The chimney graft technique for preserving visceral vessels during endovascular treatment of aortic pathologies. J Vasc Surg 2012; 55 (5) 1497-1503
- 9 Lachat M, Veith FJ, Pfammatter T , et al. Chimney and periscope grafts observed over 2 years after their use to revascularize 169 renovisceral branches in 77 patients with complex aortic aneurysms. J Endovasc Ther 2013; 20 (5) 597-605
- 10 Donayre CE, Zarins CK, Krievins DK , et al. Initial clinical experience with a sac-anchoring endoprosthesis for aortic aneurysm repair. J Vasc Surg 2011; 53 (3) 574-582
- 11 Böckler D, Holden A, Thompson M , et al. Multicenter Nellix EndoVascular Aneurysm Sealing system experience in aneurysm sac sealing. J Vasc Surg 2015; 62 (2) 290-298
- 12 Brownrigg JR, de Bruin JL, Rossi L , et al. Endovascular aneurysm sealing for infrarenal abdominal aortic aneurysms: 30-day outcomes of 105 patients in a single centre. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2015; 50 (2) 157-164
- 13 Malkawi AH, de Bruin JL, Loftus IM, Thompson MM. Treatment of a juxtarenal aneurysm with the Nellix endovascular aneurysm sealing system and chimney stent. J Endovasc Ther 2014; 21 (4) 538-540
- 14 Dijkstra ML, Lardenoye JW, van Oostayen JA, Zeebregts CJ, Reijnen MM. Endovascular aneurysm sealing for juxtarenal aneurysm using the Nellix device and chimney covered stents. J Endovasc Ther 2014; 21 (4) 541-547
- 15 Truijers M, van Sterkenburg SM, Lardenoije JW, Reijnen MM. Endovascular repair of a ruptured pararenal aortic aneurysm using the Nellix endovascular aneurysm sealing system and chimney grafts. J Endovasc Ther 2015; 22 (3) 291-294
- 16 de Bruin JL, Brownrigg JR, Karthikesalingam A , et al. Endovascular aneurysm sealing for the treatment of ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysms. J Endovasc Ther 2015; 22 (3) 283-287
- 17 Krievins DK, Holden A, Savlovskis J , et al. EVAR using the Nellix Sac-anchoring endoprosthesis: treatment of favourable and adverse anatomy. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2011; 42 (1) 38-46
- 18 Loftus IM, Böckler D. Commentary: endovascular aneurysm sealing and chimney grafts: an emergency kit for ruptured pararenal aortic aneurysms?. J Endovasc Ther 2015; 22 (3) 295-296
- 19 Wilson A, Zhou S, Bachoo P, Tambyraja AL. Systematic review of chimney and periscope grafts for endovascular aneurysm repair. Br J Surg 2013; 100 (12) 1557-1564
- 20 Donas KP, Pecoraro F, Torsello G , et al. Use of covered chimney stents for pararenal aortic pathologies is safe and feasible with excellent patency and low incidence of endoleaks. J Vasc Surg 2012; 55 (3) 659-665