Intraoperative Defibrillation Testing Should Not Be Generally Abandoned for All ICD Procedures—A Multicenter Study on 4,572 Consecutive Patients
08 January 2016
02 April 2016
14 June 2016 (online)
Background The ongoing technical advances in development of new implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) systems led some investigators to question the routine use of intraoperative defibrillation testing (DT). Therefore, we evaluated retrospectively in a multicenter study effectiveness, safety, and usefulness of intraoperative DT on unbiased large patient population.
Methods Data from 4,572 consecutive patients undergoing any ICD intervention were retrospectively analyzed. Besides efficacy of DT, risk factors for DT failure were identified in a multiple logistic regression analysis.
Results Overall 5,483 shock data from 4,532 patients were available. Not tested for medical reasons were 13.5%. DT-associated complications were not noted. Primary DT effectiveness was 95.8%, whereas 4.2% were ineffective. Optimization (51.6% increase of DT energy, 10.1% subcutaneous lead array (SQ array), 2% generator exchange, 4.8% lead reposition, 9.3% lead exchange, and 22.2% change of shock parameters) led to successful DT in 152 patients (96.2%). Subanalyses and logistic regression identified implantation of generator in any other position than left subpectoral, age, body mass index and left ventricular ejection fraction as independent predictors for primary DT failure.
Conclusion The number of patients, including those undergoing generator exchange, system upgrade, or system revision, with inappropriate intraoperative testshock is relatively high. The results of recent prospective clinical trials can be extrapolated only on first ICD implantations with high-energy generators. For patients undergoing subcutaneous ICD implantation, right-sided implantation, patients with channelopathies and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, as well as for procedures on already implanted ICD systems, the intraoperative DT might still be recommended.
Keywordsarrhythmia - outcome - cardiology/cardiologist - heart - surgery - defibrillation test - ICD
Some data from thisarticle such as number of primary ineffective testshocks and predictors for testshock failure were presented at the 43rd Annual Meeting of the German Society for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Freiburg, February 2014.
- 1 Dickstein K, Vardas PE, Auricchio A , et al. Committee for Practice Guidelines of the ESC; ESC Committee for Practice Guidelines (CPG). 2010 Focused Update of ESC guidelines on device therapy in heart failure: An update of the 2008 ESC guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure and the 2007 ESC guidelines for cardiac and resynchronization therapy developed with the special contribution of the Heart Failure Association and the EHRA. Eur Heart J 2010; 31: 2677-2687
- 2 Brignole M, Auricchio A, Baron-Esquivias G , et al; ESC Committee for Practice Guidelines (CPG); Document Reviewers. 2013 ESC Guidelines on cardiac pacing and cardiac resynchronization therapy: the Task Force on cardiac pacing and resynchronization therapy of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Developed in collaboration with the European Heart Rhythm Association (EHRA). Eur Heart J 2013; 34 (29) 2281-2329
- 3 Priori SG, Blomström-Lundqvist C, Mazzanti A , et al; Authors/Task Force Members; Document Reviewers. 2015 ESC Guidelines for the management of patients with ventricular arrhythmias and the prevention of sudden cardiac death: The Task Force for the Management of Patients with Ventricular Arrhythmias and the Prevention of Sudden Cardiac Death of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC)Endorsed by: Association for European Paediatric and Congenital Cardiology (AEPC). Eur Heart J 2015; 36 (41) 2793-2867
- 4 Estes III NA. Defibrillation testing: should the paradigm shift?. J Am Coll Cardiol 2012; 60 (11) 988-989
- 5 Markowitz SM. ICD efficacy should be evaluated at implantation. CardiacElectrophysiology Clinics 2011; 3 (4) 549-558
- 6 Epstein AE, Ellenbogen KA, Kirk KA, Kay GN, Dailey SM, Plumb VJ. Clinical characteristics and outcome of patients with high defibrillation thresholds.A multicenter study. Circulation 1992; 86 (4) 1206-1216
- 7 Blatt JA, Poole JE, Johnson GW , et al; SCD-HeFT Investigators. No benefit from defibrillation threshold testing in the SCD-HeFT (Sudden Cardiac Death in Heart Failure Trial). J Am Coll Cardiol 2008; 52 (7) 551-556
- 8 Calvi V, Dugo D, Capodanno D , et al. Intraoperative defibrillation threshold testing during implantable cardioverter-defibrillator insertion: do we really need it?. Am Heart J 2010; 159 (1) 98-102
- 9 Brignole M, Raciti G, Bongiorni MG , et al. Defibrillation testing at the time of implantation of cardioverter defibrillator in the clinical practice: a nation-wide survey. Europace 2007; 9 (7) 540-543
- 10 Healey JS, Hohnloser SH, Glikson M , et al. The rationale and design of the ShocklessIMPLant Evaluation (SIMPLE) trial: a randomized, controlled trial of defibrillation testing at the time of defibrillator implantation. Am Heart J 2012; 164 (2) 146-152
- 11 Bänsch D, Bonnemeier H, Brandt J , et al; NORDIC ICD Trial Investigators. The NO Regular Defibrillation testing In Cardioverter Defibrillator Implantation (NORDIC ICD) trial: concept and design of a randomized, controlled trial of intra-operative defibrillation testing during de novo defibrillator implantation. Europace 2015; 17 (1) 142-147
- 12 Bianchi S, Ricci RP, Biscione F , et al. Primary prevention implantation of cardioverter defibrillator without defibrillation threshold testing: 2-year follow-up. Pacing ClinElectrophysiol 2009; 32 (5) 573-578
- 13 Codner P, Nevzorov R, Kusniec J, Haim M, Zabarski R, Strasberg B. Implantable cardioverter defibrillator with and without defibrillation threshold testing. Isr Med Assoc J 2012; 14 (6) 343-346
- 14 Brignole M, Occhetta E, Bongiorni MG , et al; SAFE-ICD Study Investigators. Clinical evaluation of defibrillation testing in an unselected population of 2,120 consecutive patients undergoing first implantable cardioverter-defibrillator implant. J Am Coll Cardiol 2012; 60 (11) 981-987
- 15 Russo AM, Sauer W, Gerstenfeld EP , et al. Defibrillation threshold testing: is it really necessary at the time of implantable cardioverter-defibrillator insertion?. Heart Rhythm 2005; 2 (5) 456-461
- 16 Keyser A, Hilker MK, Schmidt S , et al. Shock or no shock - a question of philosophy or should intraoperative implantable cardioverter defibrillator testing be recommended?. Interact CardiovascThoracSurg 2013; 16 (3) 321-325
- 17 Joglar JA, Kessler DJ, Welch PJ , et al. Effects of repeated electrical defibrillations on cardiac troponin I levels. Am J Cardiol 1999; 83 (2, A6): 270-272 , A6
- 18 Steinbeck G, Dorwarth U, Mattke S , et al. Hemodynamic deterioration during ICD implant: predictors of high-risk patients. Am Heart J 1994; 127 (4 Pt 2): 1064-1067
- 19 Birnie D, Tung S, Simpson C , et al. Complications associated with defibrillation threshold testing: the Canadian experience. Heart Rhythm 2008; 5 (3) 387-390
- 20 Lever NA, Newall EG, Larsen PD. Differences in the characteristics of induced and spontaneous episodes of ventricular fibrillation. Europace 2007; 9 (11) 1054-1058
- 21 Mäkikallio TH, Huikuri HV, Myerburg RJ , et al. Differences in the activation patterns between sustained and self-terminating episodes of human ventricular fibrillation. Ann Med 2002; 34 (2) 130-135
- 22 Niemann JT, Rosborough JP, Youngquist S, Thomas J, Lewis RJ. Is all ventricular fibrillation the same? A comparison of ischemically induced with electrically induced ventricular fibrillation in a porcine cardiac arrest and resuscitation model. Crit Care Med 2007; 35 (5) 1356-1361
- 23 Kleemann T, Becker T, Doenges K , et al. Annual rate of transvenous defibrillation lead defects in implantable cardioverter-defibrillators over a period of >10 years. Circulation 2007; 115 (19) 2474-2480
- 24 Qualitätsreport 2011 and 2012. AQUA Institut/SQG. Available at: http://www.sqg.de/themen/qualitaetsreport/index.html
- 25 Healey JS, Hohnloser SH, Glikson M , et al; ShocklessIMPLant Evaluation [SIMPLE] investigators. Cardioverter defibrillator implantation without induction of ventricular fibrillation: a single-blind, non-inferiority, randomised controlled trial (SIMPLE). Lancet 2015; 385 (9970) 785-791
- 26 Bänsch D, Bonnemeier H, Brandt J , et al; NORDIC ICD Trial Investigators. Intra-operative defibrillation testing and clinical shock efficacy in patients with implantable cardioverter-defibrillators: the NORDIC ICD randomized clinical trial. Eur Heart J 2015; 36 (37) 2500-2507