The Downside of Fat: Avoiding and Treating Complications
28 September 2016 (online)
Three-dimensional facial volume restoration using fat has become widely accepted as an essential component of facial rejuvenation. Transplanted fat has benefits due to its inherently nonallergenic nature. The versatility of fat grafts allows for their use in all types of facial enhancement—improving the appearance of nasolabial folds, mesolabial grooves, flattened cheeks and upper lips, glabellar furrows, lipoatrophy, acne scars, and temporal hollowing. Yet despite its virtues as the ideal filler, autologous fat has its shortcomings with risks of complications. Our objective in this article is to present a systematic approach demonstrating the complications that can occur with each step of autologous fat grafting in facial rejuvenation and offering pearls to avoid and treat these complications.
No financial support was received for this article.
- 1 Carruthers J, Carruthers A. Soft Tissue Augmentation. 3rd ed. London, United Kingdom: Saunders Elsevier; 2013: 3-4 , 171–172
- 2 Butterwick KJ, Nootheti PK, Hsu JW, Goldman MP. Autologous fat transfer: an in-depth look at varying concepts and techniques. Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am 2007; 15 (1) 99-111 , viii
- 3 Gause II TM, Kling RE, Sivak WN, Marra KG, Rubin JP, Kokai LE. Particle size in fat graft retention: a review on the impact of harvesting technique in lipofilling surgical outcomes. Adipocyte 2014; 3 (4) 273-279
- 4 Lam SM, Glasgold RA, Glasgold MJ. Fat harvesting techniques for facial fat transfer. Facial Plast Surg 2010; 26 (5) 356-361
- 5 Niechajev I, Sevćuk O. Long-term results of fat transplantation: clinical and histologic studies. Plast Reconstr Surg 1994; 94 (3) 496-506
- 6 Sommer B, Sattler G. Current concepts of fat graft survival: histology of aspirated adipose tissue and review of the literature. Dermatol Surg 2000; 26 (12) 1159-1166
- 7 Coleman SR. Structural fat grafting: more than a permanent filler. Plast Reconstr Surg 2006; 118 (3, Suppl): 108S-120S
- 8 Lazzeri D, Agostini T, Figus M, Nardi M, Pantaloni M, Lazzeri S. Blindness following cosmetic injections of the face. Plast Reconstr Surg 2012; 129 (4) 995-1012
- 9 Sa HS, Woo KI, Suh YL, Kim YD. Periorbital lipogranuloma: a previously unknown complication of autologous fat injections for facial augmentation. Br J Ophthalmol 2011; 95 (9) 1259-1263