Statin Therapy in Patients Undergoing Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting for Acute Coronary Syndrome
12 January 2017
13 March 2017
20 April 2017 (online)
Background This study evaluates whether preoperative statin therapy improves clinical outcomes in patients referred to coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) for acute coronary syndrome (ACS).
Methods A total of 1,151 patients undergoing CABG for ACS were prospectively entered into the North-Rhine-Westphalia surgical myocardial infarction registry and subdivided into two groups according to their preoperative statin status (statin naive vs. statin group). A logistic regression model was employed to analyze the impact of a statin therapy and dose for the endpoints in-hospital mortality and major adverse cardiac events (MACE).
Results Demographics, pre- and intraoperative data of the statin-naive group (n = 208; 18%) and statin-treated group (n = 943, 82%) did not differ. In-hospital mortality (12.6 vs. 6.3%, p = 0.002) and MACE rates (22.1 vs. 9.7%, p < 0.001) were significantly higher in statin naive when compared with statin-treated patients with ACS, respectively. Mevalonic acid revealed that both low- and high-dose statin treatment was associated to a reduction in in-hospital mortality and MACE, without a dose-dependent statin effect.
Conclusion Statin therapy in patients with ACS undergoing CABG reduces in a dose-independent manner in-hospital mortality and MACE.
- 1 Beckmann A, Funkat AK, Lewandowski J. , et al. German heart surgery report 2015: The annual updated registry of the German Society for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2016; 64 (06) 462-474
- 2 Windecker S, Kolh P, Alfonso F. , et al; Authors/Task Force members. 2014 ESC/EACTS guidelines on myocardial revascularization: The task force on myocardial revascularization of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS) developed with the special contribution of the European Association of Percutaneous Cardiovascular Interventions (EAPCI). Eur Heart J 2014; 35 (37) 2541-2619
- 3 Kuhn EW, Liakopoulos OJ, Stange S. , et al. Preoperative statin therapy in cardiac surgery: a meta-analysis of 90,000 patients. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2014; 45 (01) 17-26 , discussion 26
- 4 Kulik A, Ruel M, Jneid H. , et al; American Heart Association Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia. Secondary prevention after coronary artery bypass graft surgery: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation 2015; 131 (10) 927-964
- 5 Catapano AL, Graham I, De Backer G. , et al; Authors/Task Force Members. 2016 ESC/EAS guidelines for the management of dyslipidaemias: The task force for the management of dyslipidaemias of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and European Atherosclerosis Society (EAS) developed with the special contribution of the European Association for Cardiovascular Prevention & Rehabilitation (EACPR). Atherosclerosis 2016; 253: 281-344
- 6 Kulik A, Levin R, Ruel M, Mesana TG, Solomon DH, Choudhry NK. Patterns and predictors of statin use after coronary artery bypass graft surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2007; 134 (04) 932-938
- 7 Mithani S, Kuskowski M, Slinin Y, Ishani A, McFalls E, Adabag S. Dose-dependent effect of statins on the incidence of acute kidney injury after cardiac surgery. Ann Thorac Surg 2011; 91 (02) 520-525
- 8 Nusca A, Melfi R, Patti G, Di Sciascio G. Statin loading for acute coronary syndromes. Curr Opin Cardiol 2010; 25 (04) 373-378
- 9 Thygesen K, Alpert JS, Jaffe AS. , et al; Joint ESC/ACCF/AHA/WHF Task Force for Universal Definition of Myocardial Infarction; Authors/Task Force Members Chairpersons; Biomarker Subcommittee; ECG Subcommittee; Imaging Subcommittee; Classification Subcommittee; Intervention Subcommittee; Trials & Registries Subcommittee; Trials & Registries Subcommittee; Trials & Registries Subcommittee; Trials & Registries Subcommittee; ESC Committee for Practice Guidelines (CPG); Document Reviewers. Third universal definition of myocardial infarction. J Am Coll Cardiol 2012; 60 (16) 1581-1598
- 10 Weng TC, Yang YH, Lin SJ, Tai SH. A systematic review and meta-analysis on the therapeutic equivalence of statins. J Clin Pharm Ther 2010; 35 (02) 139-151
- 11 Magovern JA, Moraca RJ, Bailey SH. , et al. Preoperative statin is associated with decreased operative mortality in high risk coronary artery bypass patients. J Cardiothorac Surg 2010; 5: 8
- 12 Kuhn EW, Liakopoulos OJ, Choi YH, Wahlers T. Current evidence for perioperative statins in cardiac surgery. Ann Thorac Surg 2011; 92 (01) 372-379
- 13 Schwartz GG, Olsson AG, Ezekowitz MD. , et al; Myocardial Ischemia Reduction with Aggressive Cholesterol Lowering (MIRACL) Study Investigators. Effects of atorvastatin on early recurrent ischemic events in acute coronary syndromes: the MIRACL study: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2001; 285 (13) 1711-1718
- 14 Ray KK, Cannon CP, McCabe CH. , et al; PROVE IT-TIMI 22 Investigators. Early and late benefits of high-dose atorvastatin in patients with acute coronary syndromes: results from the PROVE IT-TIMI 22 trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 2005; 46 (08) 1405-1410
- 15 Patti G, Pasceri V, Colonna G. , et al. Atorvastatin pretreatment improves outcomes in patients with acute coronary syndromes undergoing early percutaneous coronary intervention: results of the ARMYDA-ACS randomized trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007; 49 (12) 1272-1278
- 16 Di Sciascio G, Patti G, Pasceri V, Gaspardone A, Colonna G, Montinaro A. Efficacy of atorvastatin reload in patients on chronic statin therapy undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention: results of the ARMYDA-RECAPTURE (atorvastatin for reduction of myocardial damage during angioplasty) randomized trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009; 54 (06) 558-565
- 17 Liakopoulos OJ, Kuhn EW, Hellmich M. , et al; StaRT-CABG Investigators. Statin recapture therapy before coronary artery bypass grafting trial: rationale and study design of a multicenter, randomized, double-blinded controlled clinical trial. Am Heart J 2015; 170 (01) 46-54 , 54.e1–54.e2
- 18 Liakopoulos OJ, Thielmann M, Slottosch I. , et al. Preoperative statin therapy and surgical outcomes in patients with acute coronary syndromes undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting: a report from the North-Rhine-Westphalia surgical myocardial infarction registry. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2015; 63 DOI: 10.1055/s-0035-1544316.