Outcomes of Patients with Behçet's Syndrome after Pulmonary Endarterectomy
02 April 2017
20 June 2017
15 August 2017 (eFirst)
Background Behçet's syndrome (BS) is a multisystem disorder and is not known as a risk factor for chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension (CTEPH), for which the treatment of choice is pulmonary endarterectomy (PEA). The aim of this study was to review our experience in the surgical treatment of CTEPH in patients with BS.
Methods Data were collected prospectively for consecutive patients with BS who underwent PEA over a 6-year period.
Results We identified nine patients (seven males, two females, mean age: 34.7 ± 9.9 years) with BS. The mean disease duration before PEA was 88.0 ± 70.2 months. All patients but one received immunosuppressive therapy before the surgery. Exercise-induced dyspnea presented symptoms in six patients. One patient had associated intracardiac thrombosis. PEA was bilateral in five patients, unilateral in three, and lobar in one. No perioperative mortality was observed; however, one patient died four weeks after PEA due to massive hemoptysis. Morbidity was observed in two patients. The systolic pulmonary artery pressure fell significantly from 59.0 ± 22.7 mm Hg to 30.0 ± 6.5 mm Hg after surgery (p = 0.031). Pulmonary vascular resistance also improved significantly from 611.8 ± 300.2 to 234.7 ± 94.9 dyn/s/cm5 (p = 0.031). After a median follow-up of 29.4 months, all patients improved to the New York Heart Association (NYHA) functional class I and II.
Conclusion Patients with BS may suffer recurrent pulmonary embolism and develop CTEPH. In patients who do not respond to anticoagulation or immunosuppressive therapy, PEA may be a therapeutic option when thrombotic lesions are surgically accessible. Due to the high risk of perioperative mortality, the procedure should be undertaken in centers with experience.
- 1 Hatemi G, Yazici Y, Yazici H. Behçet's syndrome. Rheum Dis Clin North Am 2013; 39 (02) 245-261
- 2 Taşçılar K, Melikoglu M, Ugurlu S, Sut N, Caglar E, Yazici H. Vascular involvement in Behçet's syndrome: a retrospective analysis of associations and the time course. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2014; 53 (11) 2018-2022
- 3 Seyahi E, Yazici H. Behçet's syndrome: pulmonary vascular disease. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2015; 27 (01) 18-23
- 4 Kim NH. Group 4 pulmonary hypertension: chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension: epidemiology, pathophysiology, and treatment. Cardiol Clin 2016; 34 (03) 435-441
- 5 Pepke-Zaba J, Jansa P, Kim NH, Naeije R, Simonneau G. Chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension: role of medical therapy. Eur Respir J 2013; 41 (04) 985-990
- 6 Madani M, Mayer E, Fadel E, Jenkins DP. Pulmonary endarterectomy. Patient selection, technical challenges, and outcomes. Ann Am Thorac Soc 2016; 13 (Suppl. 03) S240-S247
- 7 Espinosa G, Blanco I, Antón JM, Sánchez M, Macchiarini P, Barberà JA. Chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension in Behçet's disease: effectiveness of endarterectomy. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2010; 28 (04) (Suppl. 60) S79-S81
- 8 Yıldızeli B, Taş S, Yanartaş M. , et al. Pulmonary endarterectomy for chronic thrombo-embolic pulmonary hypertension: an institutional experience. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2013; 44 (03) e219-e227 , discussion e227
- 9 International Study Group for Behçet's Disease. Criteria for diagnosis of Behçet's disease. Lancet 1990; 335 (8697): 1078-1080
- 10 Yıldızeli B, Arslan Ö, Taş S. , et al. Management of massive pulmonary hemorrhage following pulmonary endarterectomy. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2014; 62 (01) 89-91
- 11 Morsolini M, Azzaretti A, Orlandoni G, D'Armini AM. Airway bleeding during pulmonary endarterectomy: the “bubbles” technique. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2013; 145 (05) 1409-1410
- 12 Uzun O, Akpolat T, Erkan L. Pulmonary vasculitis in behcet disease: a cumulative analysis. Chest 2005; 127 (06) 2243-2253
- 13 Bonderman D, Wilkens H, Wakounig S. , et al. Risk factors for chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension. Eur Respir J 2009; 33 (02) 325-331
- 14 Hatemi G, Seyahi E, Fresko I, Talarico R, Hamuryudan V. One year in review 2016: Behçet's syndrome. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2016; 34 (06) (Suppl. 102) 10-22
- 15 Hamuryudan V, Er T, Seyahi E. , et al. Pulmonary artery aneurysms in Behçet syndrome. Am J Med 2004; 117 (11) 867-870
- 16 Hamuryudan V, Oz B, Tüzün H, Yazici H. The menacing pulmonary artery aneurysms of Behçet's syndrome. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2004; 22 (04) (Suppl. 34) S1-S3
- 17 Mogulkoc N, Burgess MI, Bishop PW. Intracardiac thrombus in Behçet's disease: a systematic review. Chest 2000; 118 (02) 479-487
- 18 Tunaci M, Ozkorkmaz B, Tunaci A, Gül A, Engin G, Acunaş B. CT findings of pulmonary artery aneurysms during treatment for Behçet's disease. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1999; 172 (03) 729-733
- 19 Alpagut U, Ugurlucan M, Dayioglu E. Major arterial involvement and review of Behcet's disease. Ann Vasc Surg 2007; 21 (02) 232-239
- 20 Yuan SM. Cardiothoracic interventions in Behçet's disease. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2014; 32 (04) (Suppl. 84) S130-S139
- 21 Taboada D, Pepke-Zaba J, Jenkins DP. , et al. Outcome of pulmonary endarterectomy in symptomatic chronic thromboembolic disease. Eur Respir J 2014; 44 (06) 1635-1645