Old Solutions for New Troubles in Complications after Thoracic Endovascular Aortic Repair
30 June 2017
13 July 2017
25 August 2017 (online)
Background The authors present two cases with type B aortic dissection initially treated by endovascular stent graft who developed aortic complications posttreatment and required surgical treatment.
Case Description A 50-year-old woman and a 65-year-old man underwent endovascular treatment for thoracic aortic aneurysm associated with type B dissection and —both of them evolved with endoleak type 1. The first case was related to aortobronchial fistula, and the second one was associated with ascending aortic aneurysm. An extra-anatomical ascending aorta-supraceliac aorta bypass grafting was decided due to the persistent leak.
Conclusion Surgery is an excellent choice for complex complications after thoracic endovascular aortic repair with previous failed attempts of endovascular resolution.
- 1 Eggebrecht H, Nienaber CA, Neuhäuser M. , et al. Endovascular stent-graft placement in aortic dissection: a meta-analysis. Eur Heart J 2006; 27 (04) 489-498
- 2 Canaud L, Alric P, Gandet T, Albat B, Marty-Ané C, Berthet JP. Surgical conversion after thoracic endovascular aortic repair. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2011; 142 (05) 1027-1031
- 3 Dumfarth J, Michel M, Schmidli J. , et al. Mechanisms of failure and outcome of secondary surgical interventions after thoracic endovascular aortic repair (TEVAR). Ann Thorac Surg 2011; 91 (04) 1141-1146
- 4 Czerny M, Reser D, Eggebrecht H. , et al. Aorto-bronchial and aorto-pulmonary fistulation after thoracic endovascular aortic repair: an analysis from the European Registry of Endovascular Aortic Repair Complications. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2015; 48 (02) 252-257
- 5 Czerny M, von Allmen R, Opfermann P. , et al. Self-made pericardial tube graft: a new surgical concept for treatment of graft infections after thoracic and abdominal aortic procedures. Ann Thorac Surg 2011; 92 (05) 1657-1662
- 6 Girdauskas E, Falk V, Kuntze T. , et al. Secondary surgical procedures after endovascular stent grafting of the thoracic aorta: successful approaches to a challenging clinical problem. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2008; 136 (05) 1289-1294