Talonavicular Coalition as a Cause of Foot Pain
15 September 2017 (eFirst)
Tarsal coalitions have an incidence of 2% and are often underdiagnosed. These are considered to be one of the causes of chronic ankle and foot pain. Among all tarsal coalitions, the talonavicular type represents a rare and uncommon condition. The purpose of this article was to present the case of a 35-year-old male patient with a bilateral talonavicular coalition treated conservatively. A review of the literature was also performed to understand the management of this rare condition.
- 1 Lawrence DA, Rolen MF, Haims AH, Zayour Z, Moukaddam HA. Tarsal coalitions: radiographic, CT, and MR imaging findings. HSS J 2014; 10 (02) 153-166
- 2 Shtofmakher G, Rozenstrauch A, Cohen R. An incidental talonavicular coalition in a diabetic patient: a podiatric perspective. BMJ Case Rep 2014; DOI: 10.1136/bcr-2014-204510.
- 3 Bonk JH, Tozzi MA. Congenital talonavicular synostosis. A review of the literature and a case report. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 1989; 79 (04) 186-189
- 4 David DR, Clark NE, Bier JA. Congenital talonavicular coalition. Review of the literature, case report, and orthotic management. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 1998; 88 (05) 223-227
- 5 Vincent KA. Tarsal coalition and painful flatfoot. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 1998; 6 (05) 274-281
- 6 Kembhavi RS, James B. A rare combination of ipsilateral partial talocalcaneal and talonavicular coalition. J Clin Diagn Res 2015; 9 (12) RD07-RD08
- 7 Takano K, Ogasawara N, Matsunaga T. , et al. A novel nonsense mutation in the NOG gene causes familial NOG-related symphalangism spectrum disorder. Hum Genome Var 2016; 3: 16023
- 8 Migues A, Slullitel GA, Suárez E, Galán HL. Case reports: symptomatic bilateral talonavicular coalition. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2009; 467 (01) 288-292
- 9 Bryson D, Uzoigwe CE, Bhagat SB, Menon DK. Complete bony coalition of the talus and navicular: decades of discomfort. BMJ Case Rep 2011; 2011 DOI: 10.1136/bcr.03.2011.4031.
- 10 Pontious J, Hillstrom HJ, Monahan T, Connelly S. Talonavicular coalition. Objective gait analysis. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 1993; 83 (07) 379-385
- 11 Ellington JK, Myerson MS. Surgical correction of the ball and socket ankle joint in the adult associated with a talonavicular tarsal coalition. Foot Ankle Int 2013; 34 (10) 1381-1388
- 12 Downey MS, Dewaters AM. Tarsal coalition. In: Southerland JT. , ed. McGlamry's Comprehensive Textbook of Foot and Ankle Surgery. 4th ed. New York: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2012. ;126: 598-635
- 13 Doyle SM, Kumar SJ. Symptomatic talonavicular coalition. J Pediatr Orthop 1999; 19 (04) 508-510
- 14 Ozyurek S, Guler F, Turan A, Kose O. Symptomatic talar beak in talocalcaneal coalition. BMJ Case Rep 2013; 2013.pii: bcr2013009309
- 15 Varner KE, Michelson JD. Tarsal coalition in adults. Foot Ankle Int 2000; 21 (08) 669-672
- 16 Swiontkowski MF, Scranton PE, Hansen S. Tarsal coalitions: long-term results of surgical treatment. J Pediatr Orthop 1983; 3 (03) 287-292
- 17 Khoshbin A, Law PW, Caspi L, Wright JG. Long-term functional outcomes of resected tarsal coalitions. Foot Ankle Int 2013; 34 (10) 1370-1375