The Thrombogram: Monitoring Thrombin Generation in Platelet Rich Plasma
20 July 1999
Accepted after revision 23 November 1999
08 December 2017 (online)
A method is described in which thrombin activity in clotting plasma can be monitored through the continuous measurement of the fluorescent split-product of the substrate Z-Gly-Gly-Arg-AMC. The signal is not impaired by turbidity; therefore proper measurement is not disturbed by the occurrence of a clot or the presence of platelets and direct measurement in platelet rich plasma is possible.
- 1 Hemker HC, Wielders S, Kessels H, Béguin S. Continuous registration of thrombin generation in plasma, its use for the determination of the thrombin potential. Thromb Haemost 1993; 70: 617-24.
- 2 Biggs R, Macfarlane RG. Human Blood Coagulation and its Disorders. Blackwell Scientific Publications; Oxford 1953.:
- 3 Seegers W. Prothrombin. Harvard University Press: Cambridge Mass; 1962
- 4 Béguin S, Kumar R. Thrombin, fibrin and platelets: a resonance loop in which von Willebrand factor is a necessary link. Thromb Haemost 1997; 78: 590-4.
- 5 Béguin S, Lindhout T, Hemker HC. The effect of trace amounts of tissue factor on thrombin generation in platelet rich plasma, its inhibition by heparin. Thromb Haemost 1989; 61: 25-9.
- 6 Hemker HC, Willems GM, Béguin S. A computer assisted method to obtain the prothrombin activation velocity in whole plasma independent of thrombin decay processes. Thromb Haemost 1986; 56: 9-17.
- 7 Hemker HC, Béguin S. Thrombin generation in plasma: its assessment via the endogenous thrombin potential. Thromb Haemost 1995; 74: 134-8.
- 8 Neri GGSerneri, Rovelli F, Gensini GF, Pirelli S, Carnovali M, Fortini A. Effectiveness of low-dose heparin in prevention of myocardial reinfarction. Lancet 1987; 01: 937-42.
- 9 A double-blind trial to assess long-term oral anticoagulant therapy in elderly patients after myocardial infarction. Report of the Sixty Plus Reinfarction Study Research Group. Lancet 1980; 02: 989-94.
- 10 Agnelli G. Thrombin plays a pivotal role in vascular re-occlusion after PTCA and coronary thrombolysis. Cardiovasc Res 1996; 31: 232-4.
- 11 Badimon L, Meyer BJ, Badimon JJ. Thrombin in arterial thrombosis. Haemostasis 1994; 24: 69-80.
- 12 Chesebro JH, Zoldhelyi P, Badimon L, Fuster V. Role of thrombin in arterial thrombosis: implications for therapy. Thromb Haemost 1991; 66: 1-5.
- 13 Heras M, Chesebro JH, Penny WJ, Bailey KR, Badimon L, Fuster V. Effects of thrombin inhibition on the development of acute plateletthrombus deposition during angioplasty in pigs. Heparin versus recombinant hirudin, a specific thrombin inhibitor. Circulation 1989; 79: 657-65.
- 14 Jang IK, Gold HK, Ziskind AA, Leinbach RC, Fallon JT, Collen D. Prevention of platelet-rich arterial thrombosis by selective thrombin inhibition. Circulation 1990; 81: 219-25.
- 15 Reverter JC, Béguin S, Kessels H, Kumar R, Hemker HC, Coller BS. Inhibition of platelet-mediated, tissue factor-induced thrombin generation by the mouse/human chimeric 7E3 antibody. Potential implications for the effect of c7E3 Fab treatment on acute thrombosis and “clinical restenosis”. J Clin Invest 1996; 98: 863-74.
- 16 Béguin S, Kumar R, Keularts I, Seligsohn U, Coller BS, Hemker HC. Fibrin-dependent platelet procoagulant activity requires GPIb receptors and von Willebrand factor. Blood 1999; 93: 564-70.
- 17 Szczeklik A, Musial J, Dropinski J, Krzanowski M, Krolikowski W, Undas A, Swadzba J, Duplaga M, Bodzon W. Thrombinogenesis and its pharmacological modulation in atherosclerosis. J Physiol Pharmacol 1994; 45: 3-11.
- 18 Keularts IM, Béguin S, de Zwaan C, Hemker HC. Treatment with a GPIIb/ IIIa antagonist inhibits thrombin generation in PRP from patients. Thromb Haemost 1998; 80: 370-1.
- 19 Hérault JP, Peyrou V, Savi P, Bernat A, Herbert J-M. Effect of SR121566A, a potent GP IIb-IIIa antagonist on platelet-mediated thrombin generation in vitro and in vivo. Thromb Haemost 1998; 79: 383-8.
- 20 Hérault J-P, Dol F, Gaich C, Bernat A, Herbert J-M. Effect of Clopidogrel on thrombin generation in platelet-rich plasma in the rat. Thromb Haemost 1999; 81: 957-60.
- 21 Faber K. Thrombotic tendency in young stroke patients. The thrombin potential as a screening parameter for coagulation disturbances. Thesis Universiteit Maastricht. 1998 ISBN 90-9012009-2.
- 22 Pekelharing CA. Untersuchungen über das Fibrinferment. Verhandelingen der Koninklijke akademie van Wetenschappen (Reports of the Royal Academy of Sciences) Amsterdam. Tweede sectie 1893; 01: 3-52.
- 23 Wielders S, Mukherjee M, Michiels J, Rijkers DT, Cambus JP, Knebel RW, Kakkar V, Hemker HC, Béguin S. The routine determination of the endogenous thrombin potential, first results in different forms of hyper- and hypocoagulability. Thromb Haemost 1997; 77: 629-36.