GB Virus C/Hepatitis G Virus Isolates in Japanese Haemophiliacs and their OriginsThe nucleotide sequence data reported in this paper will appear in the DDBJ/EMBL/GenBank nucleotide sequence databases with the accession numbers AB012004-AB012022
12 September 1997
Accepted after resubmission 09 April 1998
08 December 2017 (online)
Japanese haemophiliacs have been at high risk for infection with parenterally-transmissible viruses through the use of blood products, especially imported ones. Recently, novel transfusion-transmissible virus, GB virus C (GBV-C)/hepatitis G virus (HGV) were isolated. We investigated the origin and route of transmission of GBV-C/HGV isolates in haemophiliacs in Japan. GBV-C/HGV RNA was measured by nested reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction in 91 Japanese haemophiliacs. Phylogenetic analysis and genotypic grouping of GBV-C/HGV isolates in Japanese haemophiliacs were performed based on sequences in the 5’ untranslated region, and the characteristics were compared with those of reported isolates. GBV-C/HGV infection was present in 19 of 91 haemophiliacs (20.9%). Sequence analysis showed that 15 of the 19 isolates (78.9%) showed sequence similarity to a group in which mainly West African isolates have been reported. The other 4 isolates (21.1%) showed sequence similarity to Asian isolates. None of the GBV-C/HGV isolates showed sequences similar to those generally found in isolates from USA and Europe. The majority of GBV-C/HGV isolates found in Japanese haemophiliacs who are considered to have been infected by imported blood products were similar to those detected in West Africa.
- 1 Kinoshita T, Miyake K, Okamoto H, Mishiro S. Imported hepatitis C virus genotypes in Japanese hemophiliacs.. J Infect Dis 1993; 168: 249-50.
- 2 Hijikata M, Kato N, Mori S, Ootsuyama Y, Nakagawa M, Sugimura T, Ohkoshi S, Kojima H, Meguro T, Taki M, Takayama S, Yamada K, Shimotohno K. Frequent detection of hepatitis C virus US strain in Japanese hemophiliacs.. Jpn J Cancer Res 1990; 81: 1195-7.
- 3 Kashiwagi S, Hayashi J, Ikematsu H, Noguchi A, Ikeda K, Kishida K, Shirakawa M, Takenaka A, Mori R. Prevalence of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection among hemophiliacs in Fukuoka, Japan.. Micro-biol Immunol 1988; 32: 851-5.
- 4 Inagaki M, Miura T, Taki M, Saito N, Yamada K, Unuma T, Tsuda F, Miyakawa Y, Mayumi M. Infection with hepatitis delta and human immunodeficiency viruses among hemophiliacs in Japan.. Transfusion 1988; 28: 18-20.
- 5 Simons JN, Leary TP, Dawson GJ, Pilot-Matias TJ, Muerhoff AS, Schlauder GG, Desai SM, Mushahwar IK. Isolation of novel virus-like sequences associated with human hepatitis.. Nat Med 1995; 1: 564-9.
- 6 Linnen J, Wages Jr J, Zhang-Keck Z-Y, Fry KE, Krawczynski KZ, Alter H, Koonin E, Gallagher M, Alter M, Hadziyannis S, Karayiannis P, Fung K, Nakatsuji Y, Shih JW-K, Young L, Piatak Jr M, Hoover C, Fernandez J, Chen S, Zou J-C, Morris T, Hyams KC, Ismay S, Lifson JD, Hess G, Foung SKH, Thomas H, Bradley D, Margolis H, Kim JP. Molecular cloning and disease association of hepatitis G virus: A transfusion-transmissible agent.. Science 1996; 271: 505-8.
- 7 Okamoto H, Mishiro S, Tokita H, Tsuda F, Miyakawa Y, Mayumi M. Superinfection of chimpanzees carrying hepatitis C virus of genotype II/1b with that of genotype III/2a or I/1a.. Hepatology 1994; 20: 1131-6.
- 8 Shimizu M, Osada K, Okamoto H. Transfusion-transmitted hepatitis G virus following open heart surgery.. Transfusion 1996; 36: 937.
- 9 Masuko K, Mitsui T, Iwano K, Yamazaki C, Okuda K, Meguro T, Murayama N, Inoue T, Tsuda F, Okamoto H, Miyakawa Y, Mayumi M. Infection with hepatitis GB virus C in patients on maintenance hemodialysis.. N Engl J Med 1996; 334: 1485-90.
- 10 Nei M. Phylogenetic tree.. In: Nei M. ed. Molecular evolutionary genetics.. New York: Columbia University Press; 1987. pp. 287-326.
- 11 Leary TP, Muerhoff AS, Simons JN, Pilot-Matias TJ, Erker JC, Chalmers ML, Schlauder GG, Dawson GJ, Desai SM, Mushahwar IK. Sequence and genomic organization of GBV-C: a novel member of the flaviviridae associated with human non-A-E hepatitis.. J Med Virol 1996; 48: 60-7.
- 12 Muerhoff AS, Simons JN, Leary TP, Erker JC, Chalmers ML, Pilot-Matias TJ, Dawson GJ, Desai SM, Mushahwar IK. Sequence heterogeneity within the 5’-terminal region of the hepatitis GB virus C genome and evidence for genotypes.. J Hepatol 1996; 25: 379-84.
- 13 Okamoto H, Nakao H, Inoue T, Fukuda M, Kishimoto J, Iizuka H, Tsuda F, Miyakawa Y, Mayumi M. The entire nucleotide sequences of two GB virus C/hepatitis G virus isolates of distinct genotypes from Japan.. J Gen Virol 1997; 78: 737-45.
- 14 Fukushi S, Kurihara C, Ishiyama N, Okamura H, Hoshino FB, Oya A, Katayama K. Nucleotide sequence of the 5’ noncoding region of hepatitis G virus isolated from Japanese patients: comparison with reported isolates.. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1996; 226: 314-8.
- 15 Erker JC, Simons JN, Muerhoff AS, Leary TP, Chalmers ML, Desai SM, Mushahwar IK. Molecular cloning and characterization of a GB virus C isolate from a patient with non-A-E hepatitis.. J Gen Virol 1996; 77: 2713-20.
- 16 Okamoto H, Kobata S, Tokita H, Inoue T, Woodfield GD, Holland PV, Al-Knawy BA, Uzunalimoglu O, Miyakawa Y, Mayumi M. A second-generation method of genotyping hepatitis C virus by the polymerase chain reaction with sense and antisense primers deduced from the core gene.. J Virol Methods 1996; 57: 31-45.
- 17 Simmonds P, Alberti A, Alter HJ, Bonino F, Bradley DW, Brechot C, Brouwer JT, Chan S-W, Chayama K, Chen D-S, Choo Q-L, Colombo M, Cuypers HTM, Date T, Dusheiko GM, Esteban JI, Fay O, Hadziyannis SJ, Han J, Hatzakis A, Holmes EC, Hotta H, Houghton M, Irvine B, Kohara M, Kolberg JA, Kuo G, Lau JYN, Lelie PN, Maertens G, McOmish F, Miyamura T, Mizokami M, Nomoto A, Prince AM, Reesink HW, Rice C, Roggendorf M, Schalm SW, Shikata T, Shimotohno K, Stuyver L, Trepo C, Weiner A, Yap PL, Urdea M. A proposed system for the nomenclature of hepatitis C viral genotypes.. Hepatology 1994; 19: 1321-4.
- 18 Nakatsuji Y, Shih JW-K, Tanaka E, Kiyosawa K, Wages Jr J, Kim JP, Alter HJ. Prevalence and disease association of hepatitis G virus infection in Japan.. J Viral Hepatitis 1996; 3: 307-16.
- 19 Aikawa T, Sugai Y, Okamoto H. Hepatitis G infection in drug abusers with chronic hepatitis C.. N Engl J Med 1996; 334: 195-6.
- 20 Kinoshita T, Miyake K, Nakao H, Tanaka T, Tsuda F, Okamoto H, Miyakawa Y, Mayumi M. Molecular investigation of GB virus C infection in hemophiliacs in Japan.. J Infect Dis 1997; 175: 454-7.
- 21 Muerhoff AS, Smith DB, Leary TP, Erker JC, Desai SM, Mushahwar IK. Identification of GB virus C variants by phylogenetic analysis of 5’-untranslated and coding region sequences.. J Virol 1997; 71: 6501-8.
- 22 Gonzalez-Perez MA, Norder H, Bergstrom A, Lopez E, Visona KA, Magnius LO. High prevalence of GB virus C strains genetically related to strains with asian origin in Nicaraguan hemophiliacs.. J Med Virol 1997; 52: 149-55.
- 23 Bukh J, Miller RH, Purcell RH. Genetic heterogeneity of hepatitis C virus: quasispecies and genotypes.. Semin Liver Dis 1995; 15: 41-63.
- 24 Mahaney K, Tedeschi V, Maertens G, Di Bisceglie AM, Vergalla J, Hoofnagle JH, Sallie R. Genotypic analysis of hepatitis C virus in American patients.. Hepatology 1994; 20: 1405-11.
- 25 Xu L-Z, Larzul D, Delaporte E, Brechot C, Kremsdorf D. Hepatitis C virus genotype 4 is highly prevalent in central Africa (Gabon).. J Gen Virol 1994; 75: 2393-8.
- 26 Dusheiko G, Schmilovitz-Weiss H, Brown D, McOmish F, Yap P-L, Sherlock S, McIntyre N, Simmonds P. Hepatitis C virus genotypes: An investigation of type-specific differences in geographic origin and disease.. Hepatology 1994; 19: 13-8.