Graft-Sparing Strategy for Thoracic Prosthetic Graft InfectionFunding None.
26 November 2017
15 December 2017
20 February 2018 (online)
Objective Thoracic prosthetic graft infection is a rare but serious complication with no standard management. We reported our surgical experience on graft-sparing strategy for thoracic prosthetic graft infection.
Methods This study included patients who underwent graft-sparing surgery for thoracic prosthetic graft infection at Matsubara Tokushukai Hospital in Japan from January 2000 to October 2017.
Results There were 17 patients included in the analyses, with a mean age at surgery of 71.0 ± 10.5 years; 11 were men. In-hospital mortality was observed in five patients (29.4%).
Conclusions Graft-sparing surgery for thoracic prosthetic graft infection is an alternative option particularly for early graft infection after hemiarch replacement.
- 1 Yamanaka K, Omura A, Nomura Y. , et al. Surgical strategy for aorta-related infection. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2014; 46 (06) 974-980 , discussion 980
- 2 Coselli JS, Köksoy C, LeMaire SA. Management of thoracic aortic graft infections. Ann Thorac Surg 1999; 67 (06) 1990-1993 , discussion 1997–1998
- 3 Oda T, Minatoya K, Kobayashi J. , et al. Prosthetic vascular graft infection through a median sternotomy: a multicentre review. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2015; 20 (06) 701-706 , discussion 706
- 4 Fujii T, Watanabe Y. Multidisciplinary treatment approach for prosthetic vascular graft infection in the Thoracic aortic area. Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2015; 21 (05) 418-427
- 5 Akowuah E, Narayan P, Angelini G, Bryan AJ. Management of prosthetic graft infection after surgery of the thoracic aorta: removal of the prosthetic graft is not necessary. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2007; 134 (04) 1051-1052
- 6 Tossios P, Karatzopoulos A, Tsagakis K. , et al. Treatment of infected thoracic aortic prosthetic grafts with the in situ preservation strategy: a review of its history, surgical technique, and results. Heart Lung Circ 2014; 23 (01) 24-31
- 7 Tossios P, Karatzopoulos A, Grosomanidis V, Anastasiadis K. Homografts for the management of graft infections in the ascending aortic position. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2014; 46 (01) 148-148
- 8 Morisaki A, Hosono M, Murakami T. , et al. Effect of negative pressure wound therapy followed by tissue flaps for deep sternal wound infection after cardiovascular surgery: propensity score matching analysis. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2016; 23 (03) 397-402
- 9 Suzuki T, Kawamoto S, Motoyoshi N. , et al. Contemporary outcome of the surgical management of prosthetic graft infection after a thoracic aortic replacement: is there a room to consider vacuum-assisted wound closure as an alternative?. Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2015; 63 (02) 86-92
- 10 Saiki Y, Kawamoto S, Sai S, Tabayashi K. An effective vacuum-assisted closure treatment for mediastinitis with aortic arch replacement. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2008; 7 (04) 712-714
- 11 Shah S, Sinno S, Vandevender D, Schwartz J. Management of thoracic aortic graft infections with the omental flap. Ann Plast Surg 2013; 70 (06) 680-683
- 12 Umminger J, Krueger H, Beckmann E. , et al. Management of early graft infections in the ascending aorta and aortic arch: a comparison between graft replacement and graft preservation techniques. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2016; 50 (04) 660-667
- 13 Nakajima N, Masuda M, Ichinose M, Ando M. A new method for the treatment of graft infection in the thoracic aorta: in situ preservation. Ann Thorac Surg 1999; 67 (06) 1994-1996 , discussion 1997–1998
- 14 Samoukovic G, Bernier PL, Lachapelle K. Successful treatment of infected ascending aortic prosthesis by omental wrapping without graft removal. Ann Thorac Surg 2008; 86 (01) 287-289
- 15 Czerny M, von Allmen R, Opfermann P. , et al. Self-made pericardial tube graft: a new surgical concept for treatment of graft infections after thoracic and abdominal aortic procedures. Ann Thorac Surg 2011; 92 (05) 1657-1662
- 16 Kaul P, Qadri SS, Riaz M. Chronic encapsulated mediastinal abscess presenting with remote cutaneous fistulization 12 years after redo aortic valve replacement for prosthetic valve endocarditis. J Cardiothorac Surg 2006; 1 (01) 22
- 17 Urbanowicz T, Buczkowski P, Budniak W. , et al. Computer tomography guided transthoracic periaortic abscess needle biopsy in late mediastinitis after heart surgery. Cardiol J 2014; 21 (03) 325-328