Subscribe to RSS
Repair of Chronic Complete Traumatic Rupture of the Common Calcaneal Tendon in a Dog, Using a Fascia Lata GraftCase Report and Literature Review
30 September 1999
Accepted 26 November 1999
09 February 2018 (online)
A 3-month-old male Cocker Spaniel was presented with the complaint of chronic right hind leg lameness. The owner described superficial trauma at the area of the hock, which was noticed immediately after delivery. History, habitus, physical examination, and radiography suggested rupture of the common calcaneal tendon. This report describes the successful repair of complete rupture of the common calcaneal tendon, with loss of tendon length, using a fascia lata free graft.
The following case report describes the successful repair of a chronic complete traumatic rupture of all components of the Achilles tendon with loss of tendon length, in a 3-month-old puppy, using a tensor fascia lata free graft. Due to the young age of the animal no internal fixation was used to protect the graft, and external coaptation was used instead. Achilles tendon rupture is a relatively common injury in humans and many methods of repair are reported for acute and chronic ruptures. The medical and veterinary literature is reviewed with regard to the pathogenesis and treatment of Achilles tendon rupture.
- 1 Aron DN. “new” tendon stitch. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1981; 17: 587-91.
- 2 Badylak SF. et al. The use of xenogenic small intestinal submucosa as biomaterial for Achilles tendon repair in a dog model. J Biomed Materials Res 1995; 29 (08) 977-85.
- 3 Bloomberg MS. Muscles and tendons. In Slater DH. (Ed): Textbook of small animal Surgery. W. B. Saunders; Philadelphia: 1992: 1996-2020.
- 4 Bonneau NH, Olivieri M, Berton L. Avulsion of the gastrocnemius tendon in the dog causing flexion of the hock and digits. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1983; 19: 717-22.
- 5 Bjorling DL, Toombs JP. Transarticular application of Kirschner-Ehmer splint. J Vet Surg 1982; 11: 34-8.
- 6 Braden TD. Fascia lata transplant for repair of chronic Achilles tendon defects. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1976; 12: 800-5.
- 7 Choksey A, Soonawalla D. Murray Repair of neglected Achilles tendon ruptures with Marlex mesh. Injury 1996; 27: 215-7.
- 8 Early TD. Tendon disorders. In: Bojrab MJ. (ed): Pathophysiology of Small Animal Surgery. Philadelphia: Lea & Febiger; 1981
- 9 Fernanadez-Fairan M, Gimeno C. Augmented repair of Achilles tendon ruptures. The Am J Sports Medicine 1997; 25 No (02) 177-81.
- 10 Gilmore DR. Use of barbed steel sutures for repair of calcanean tendon rupture in the dog. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1984; 20: 408-12.
- 11 Guerin S, Burbidge H, Firth E, Fox S. Achilles tenorrhaphy in five dogs: A modified surgical technique and evaluation of cranial half cast. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 1998; 11: 205-10.
- 12 Haddad JL, Abraham VC. et al. Microsurgical reconstruction of Achilles tendon with a fascia lata flap. Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery 1997; 13 (05) 309-12.
- 13 Haan JJ, Goring RL, Renberg C, Bertrand S. Modified transarticular external skeletal fixation for support of Achilles tenorrhaphy in four dogs. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 1995; 08: 32-5.
- 14 Liem MD. et al. Repair of Achilles Tendon Ruptures with a Polylactic Acid Implant: Assessment with MR Imaging. Am J Roentgenol 1991; 156 (04) 769-73.
- 15 Malnati GA. Deep digital flexor transposition for rupture of the calcnean tendon in the dog. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1981; 17: 451-54.
- 16 Mandelbaum BR, Myerson MS, Forster R. Achilles tendon ruptures. A new method of repair, early range of motion, and functional rehabilitation. Am J Sports Medicine (U.S) 1995; 23: 392-5.
- 17 Mughannam A, Reinke J. Avulsion of the Gastrocnemius Tendon in three cats. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1994; 30: 550-6.
- 18 Motta P, Carmelo E, Italo P. Achilles tendon rupture a new technique for surgical repair and immediate movement of ankle and foot. The Am Sports Medicine 1997; 25 (02) 172-6.
- 19 Morshed D, Leeds EB. Kirschner-Ehmer apparatus immobilization following Achilles tendon repair in six dogs. J Vet Surg 1984; 13: 11-4.
- 20 Nellas ZL, Loder BG, Wertheimer SJ. Reconstruction of an Achilles Tendon Defect Utilizing an Achilles Tendon Allograft. J Foot Ankle Surg 1996; 35 (02) 144-8.
- 21 Parker RB, Cardinet GH. Myotendinous rupture of the Achilles mechanism associated with parasitic myositis. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1984; 20: 115-8.
- 22 Plattner P, Mann RA. Disorders of Tendons. In: Surgery of the Foot and Ankle. vol 2 Mann RA, Coughlin MJ. (Eds). Mosby: 1993: 812-7.
- 23 Reinke JD, Kus SP. Achilles mechanism injury in the dog. Comp Cont Educ 1982; 04: 639-45.
- 24 Reinke JD, Mughannam AJ, Owens JM. Avulsion of the gastrocnemius tendon in 11 dogs. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1993; 29: 410-8.
- 25 Rivers BJ, Walter PA, Kramek B, Wallace L. Sonographic Findings in Canine Common Calcaneal Tendon Injury. Vet Comp Orthop Traumtol 1997; 10: 45-53.
- 26 Shamir MH, Shahar R, Johnston DE. Semi rigid external fixation for repair of fractures in young dogs and cats. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1996; 32: 521-6.
- 27 Smith KW. Achilles tendon surgery for correction of hyperextension of the hock joint. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1976; 12: 848-52.
- 28 Syladis P, Fatah MF. A composite lateral arm flap for the secondary repair of multiply ruptured Achilles tendon. Plastic And Reconstructive Surgery 1995; 96 (07) 1719-23.
- 29 Tomlinson J, Moore R. Locking loop tendon suture use in repair of five calcanean tendons. J Vet Surg 1982; 11: 105-11.
- 30 Toombs JP, Aron DN, Basinger RR, Ewing P. Angled connecting bars for transarticular application of Kirschner Ehmer external fixation splints. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1989; 25: 213-6.
- 31 Troop RL. et al. early motion after repair of Achilles tendon ruptures. Foot Ankle International (U.S) 1995; 16: 705-9.
- 32 Vaughn LC. The use of carbon fibers implants for the repair of Achilles tendon rupture in dogs. J Small Anim Pract 1981; 22: 629-34.
- 33 Vaughn LC. Muscle and Tendon injuries in dogs. J Small Animal Pract 1979; 20: 711-36.