Subscribe to RSS
Achilles mechanism reconstruction in four dogs Murdoch University Veterinary Hospital, Murdoch, WA, Australia
06 July 2000
Accepted 01 October 2000
09 February 2018 (online)
Chronic Achilles mechanism injuries require aggressive treatment with excision of degenerate tissue. Following excision of degenerate tendon, the defect created may be too large to allow simple apposition of tendon to bone. Use of peroneus brevis and peroneus longus tendon transpositions (passing through bone tunnels drilled in the calcaneus), +/− lengthening of the gastrocnemius tendon, and reinforcement with a free fascial strip graft allows reconstruction of the area. Postoperative support should be provided using a type II transarticular external fixator for four weeks, followed by a splint or Robert Jones bandage for three weeks. Treatment, in all four of the dogs in this report, resulted in a good to excellent outcome. Based on the favourable results in this series, resection of all grossly abnormal tendon should be considered in cases of Achilles mechanism rupture, even though reconstruction of the area is more complex.
Five Achilles mechanism reconstructions were performed in four dogs with chronic injury to the tendon. Following excision of degenerate tendon the area was reconstructed, in each case using peroneus brevis and peroneus longus tendon transpositions, lengthening of the gastrocnemius tendon and reinforcement with a free fascial strip graft. Post-operative support was provided in the form of a type II trans-articular external fixator for four to five weeks, followed by a splint or Robert Jones bandage for two to three weeks. The results in all of the dogs were good to excellent. One dog returned to full working capacity. Two dogs returned to unrestricted exercise without any observable lameness. One dog (bilateral injury) is sound but the owners have decided to limit the dog’s access to unrestricted activity.
KeywordsAchilles mechanism - Achilles tendon - peroneus brevis - peroneus longus - fascial strip graft - dog
* Drs. Sivacolundhu and Marchevsky are currently at The Veterinary Specialist Centre
- 1 Abraham E, Pankovich AM. Neglected rupture of the Achilles tendon. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1975; 57-A: 253-5.
- 2 Amstutz HC, Coulson WF, David E. Reconstruction of the canine Achilles and patellar tendons using dacron mesh silicone prosthesis. I. Clinical and biocompatibility evaluation. J Biomed Mater Res 1976; 10: 47-59.
- 3 Aron DN. Tendons. In: Current Techniques in Small Animal Surgery. Third Edition. Bojrab MJ, Birchard SJ, Tomlinson JL. (eds) Lea and Febiger: Philadelphia; 1990: 549-61.
- 4 Behrens F, Kraft EL, Oegema TR. Biochemical changes in articular cartilage after joint immobilization by casting or external fixation. J Orthop Res 1989; 07: 335-43.
- 5 Bonneau NH. Olivieri M, Breton L. Avulsion of the Gastrocnemius Tendon in the Dog Causing Flexion of the Hock and Digits. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 1983; 19: 717-22.
- 6 Braden TD. Fascia lata transplant for repair of chronic Achilles tendon defects. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1976; 12: 800-5.
- 7 Butler HC. Surgery of tendinous injuries and muscle injuries. In: Textbook of Small Animal Orthopaedics. Newton CD, Nunamaker DM. (eds) Philadelphia: Lippincott; 1985. 835-41.;
- 8 de Haan JJ, Goring RL, Renberg C, Bertrand S. Modified transarticular external skeletal fixation for support of Achilles Tenorrhaphy in four dogs. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 1995; 08: 32-5.
- 9 Endres WA. Repair of Severed Achilles tendon in a dog. Vet Med Small Anim Clin 1971; 66: 466-8.
- 10 Gilmore DR. Use of barbed steel sutures for repair of calcanean tendon rupture in the dog. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1984; 20: 408-12.
- 11 Guerin S, Burbidge H, Firth E, Fox S. Achilles tenorrhaphy in five dogs: a modified surgical technique and evaluation of a cranial half cast. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 1998; 11: 205-10.
- 12 Hermanson JW, Evans HE. Muscles of the pelvic limb. In: Miller’s Anatomy of the dog. Third Ed. Evans HE. (ed) WB Saunders Co: Philadelphia; 1993: 349-81.
- 13 Kramer M, Gerwing M, Hach V, Schimke E. Sonography of the musculoskeletal system in dogs and cats. Vet Radiol Ultrasound 1997; 38: 139-49.
- 14 Kramer M, Schimke E, Gerwing M, Schleich S, Michele U. Diseases of the Achilles tendon in dogs and cats. Tierarztl Pax Ausg K Klientiere Heimtiere 1998; 26: 238-46.
- 15 Kuwada GT. An update on repair of Achilles tendon rupture. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 1999; 89: 302-6.
- 16 Lee H, Lew D. Oh S, Tark K, Kim S, Chung Y, Lee Y. Simultaneous reconstruction of the Achilles tendon and soft-tissue defect using only a latissimus dorsi muscle free flap. Plast Reconstr Surg 1999; 104: 111-9.
- 17 Maffulli N. Rupture of the Achilles Tendon. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1999; 81-A: 1019-36.
- 18 Mason ML, Allen HS. The rate of healing of tendons. An experimental study of tensile strength. Ann Surg 1941; 113: 424-59.
- 19 Montgomery RD. Healing of Muscle, Ligaments, and Tendons. Seminars in Veterinary Medicine and Surgery (Small Animal) 1989; 04: 304-11.
- 20 Morshead D, Leeds EB. Kirschner-Ehmer apparatus immobilisation following Achilles tendon repair in six dogs. Vet Surg 1984; 13: 11-4.
- 21 Mortensen NHM, Skov O, Jensen PE. Early motion after operative treatment of a rupture of the Achilles tendon. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1999; 81-A: 983-90.
- 22 Reinke J. Treatment of Avulsion of the Ga stro-cnemius Tendon. In: Current Techniques in Small Animal Surgery. Fourth Edition. Bojrab MJ, Ellison G, Slocum B. (eds) Williams and Wilkins; Baltimore: 1998: 1257-60.
- 23 Reinke J, Mughannam AJ, Owens JM. Avulsion of the gastrocnemius tendon in 11 dogs. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1993; 29: 410-8.
- 24 Shani J, Shahar R. Repair of chronic complete traumatic rupture of the common calcaneal tendon in a dog, using a fascia lata graft. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2000; 13: 104-8.
- 25 Stanec S, Stanec Z, Delimar D. Martinac A composite forearm free flap for the secondary repair of the ruptured Achilles tendon. Plast Reconstr Surg 1999; 104: 1409-12.
- 26 Tomlinson J, Moore R. Locking loop tendon suture use in repair of fove calcanean tendons. Vet Surg 1982; 11: 105-9.
- 27 Toombs J, Aron D, Basinger RR. Angled connecting bars for transarticular application of Kirschner-Ehmer external fixation splints. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1989; 25: 213-6.
- 28 Vaughan LC. The use of carbon fibre implants for the repair of Achilles tendon rupture in dogs. J Small Anim Pract 1981; 22: 629-34.
- 29 Vaughan LC, Edwards GB. The use of carbon fibre (Grafil) for tendon repair in animals. Vet Rec 1978; 102: 287-8.
- 30 Wentink GH. The action of the hind limb musculature of the dog in walking. Acta Anat (Basel) 1976; 96: 70-80.
- 31 White RK, Kraynick BM. Surgical uses of the peroneus brevis tendon. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1959; 108: 117-21.