Trochlear femoral fractures in cats: results of seven cases
16. Mai 2000
Accepted 06. September 2000
09. Februar 2018 (online)
Seven cases of intra-articular fractures of the femoral condyles in cats were reviewed retrospectively. All of the cases involved the trochlea in a pattern that was different from the standard “T” or “L” fracture. Three of the cats were under one year of age. Surgical stabilization involved the use of plates and screws (five cases), crossed screws (one case), and multiple K-wires (one case). Radiographic bony union was demonstrable in all of the cases within 10 weeks. Six (85%) of the cats had a good functional outcome, and one (15%) had a fair outcome (minimum follow-up: four months). Major complications were not observed after post-operative physical and radiological examination.
A retrospective study of seven cats with intra-articular fractures of the femoral trochlea was performed. These fractures were different than the standard “T” or L” fracture, and six of the fractures were comminuted.
Functional outcome of the surgical repair was graded as good, fair or poor. Six of the cats had a good outcome, and one had a fair outcome.
- 1 Hill FWG. A survey of bone fractures in the cat. J Small Anim Pract 1977; 18: 457-63.
- 2 Kolata RJ, Kraut NH, Johnston DE. Patterns of trauma in urban dogs and cats: A study of 1000 cases. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1974; 164: 499-502.
- 3 Braden TD, Eicker SW, Abdinoor D, Prieur WD. Characteristics of 1000 femur fractures in the dog and cat. Vet Comp Orthop 1995; 08: 203-9.
- 4 Piermattei DL, Flo GL. Fractures of the femur and patella. In: Handbook of small animal orthopedics and fracture treatment repair. Philadelphia: WB. Saunders; 1997: 503-11.
- 5 Unger M, Montavon PM, Heim UFA. Classification of fractures of the long bones in the dog and cat: Introduction and clinical application. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 1990; 03: 41-50.
- 6 Mc Laughlin R. Intra-articular stifle fractures and arthrodesis. Vet Clin North Am 1993; 23 (04) 877-95.
- 7 Hardie EM, Chambers JN. Factors influencing the outcome of distal femoral physeal fracture fixation: A retrospective study. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1984; 20: 927-31.
- 8 Graver GF, Banks WJ, Ellison GW, Rouse GP. Incidence and mechanism of distal femoral physeal fractures in the dog and cat. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1981; 17: 579-86.
- 9 Milton JL. Fractures of the femur. In: Textbook of small Animal surgery. Slatter DH. (ed). Philadelphia: WB. Saunders; 1993: 1805-17.
- 10 Lewis DD, van Ee RT, Oakes MG, Elkins AD. Use of reconstruction plates for stabilization of fractures and osteotomies involving the supracondilar region of the femur. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1993; 29: 171-8.
- 11 Chow JM, Hill JH. Primary mandibular reconstruction using the AO reconstruction plate. Laringoscope 1986; 96: 768-73.
- 12 Berg RJ, Egger EL, Konde LJ, McCurnin DM. Evaluation of prognostic factors for growth following distal femoral physeal injuries in 17 dogs. Vet Surg 1984; 13: 172-80.
- 13 Culvenor JA, Hulse DA, Patton CS. Closure after injury of the distal femoral plate in the dog. J Small Anim Pract 1978; 19: 549-60.
- 14 Johnson JM, Johnson AL, Eurell JC. Histological appearance of naturally occurring canine physeal fractures. Vet Surg 1994; 23: 81-6.
- 15 Kolata RJ, Johnston DE. Motor vehicle accidents in urban dogs: A study of 600 cases. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1975; 167: 938-41.
- 16 Wong W. A survey of fractures of the dog and cat in Malaysia. Vet Rec 1984; 115: 273-4.
- 17 Janssens L. Letter to the editor. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 1992; 05: 53.