Subscribe to RSS
Accessory caudal glenoid ossification centre as possible cause of lameness in nine dogs
02 August 2003
Accepted 22 February 2004
08 February 2018 (online)
An accessory centre of ossification was identified on the caudal aspect of the glenoid (ACGOC) in nine dogs. In three of the dogs, concomitant lesions were found in the same shoulder joint. When they appeared to be loose, the fragments were removed using arthroscopy in eight dogs. Upon histological examination in four dogs, the presence of articular cartilage on these ACGOC confirmed the fact that they represented a portion of the glenoid. The resolution of the clinical signs in six cases with isolated ACGOC after fragment excision and without concomitant lesions suggests that ACGOC was the cause of lameness in these affected dogs.
- 1 Bardet JF. Diagnosis of shoulder instability in dogs and cats: a retrospective study. JAAHA 1998; 34: 42-54.
- 2 Brinker WO, Piermattei DL, Flo G. Orthopedic examination and diagnostic tools. In: Handbook of Small Animal Orthopedics and Fracture Repair. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders; 1997: 22.
- 3 Brinker WO, Piermattei DL, Flo G. Calcification of the supraspinatus tendon. In: Handbook of Small Animal Orthopedics and Fracture Repair. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders; 1997: 250-1.
- 4 Carrig CB. Diagnostic imaging of osteoarthritis. Vet Clin North America 1997; 27: 777-814.
- 5 Cawley AJ, Archibald J. Ununited anconeal process of the dog. JAVMA 1959; 134: 454-7.
- 6 Clegg PD, Dyson SJ. Scapolohumeral osteoarthritis in 20 Shetland ponies, miniature horses and Falabella ponies. Veterinary Record 2001; 148: 175-9.
- 7 Cofield RH, Nessler JP, Wainsthal R. Diagnosis of shoulder instability by examination under anaesthesia. Clin Orthop 1993; 291: 45-53.
- 8 Gahring DR. A modified caudal approach to the canine shoulder joint. JAAHA 1985; 21: 613-8.
- 9 Lamb CR. The principles and practice of bone scintigraphy in small animals. Seminars in Veterinary Medicine and Surgery 1991; 06: 140-53.
- 10 Marcellin-Little DJ, DeYoung DJ, Ferris KK. Incomplete ossification of the humeral condyle in Spaniels. Vet Surg 1994; 23: 475-87.
- 11 Owens JM. Radiographic interpretation for the small animal clinician. Ralston Purina Company. 1982: 32.
- 12 Owens JM, Biery DN. Extremities. In: Radiographic Interpretation for the Small Animal Clinician. 2nd edition. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins; 1998. 30 72.
- 13 Van Ryssen B, Van Bree H, Vyt P. Arthroscopy of the shoulder joint in the dog. JAAHA 1993; 29: 101-5.
- 14 Wintzell G, Haglund-Akerlind Y, Ekelund A. Arthroscopic lavage reduced the recurrence rate following primary anterior shoulder dislocation. A randomised multicentre study with 1-year follow-up. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 1999; 07: 192-6.