Five Years of Clinical Informatics Board Certification for Physicians in the United States of America
22 April 2018 (eFirst)
Objectives: To review the highlights of the new Clinical Informatics subspecialty including its history, certification requirements, development of and performance on the certification examination in the United States.
Methods: We reviewed processes for the development of a subspecialty. Data from board certification examinations were collated and analyzed. We discussed eligibility requirements in the fellowship as well as practice pathways.
Results: Lessons learned from the development of the Clinical Informatics subspecialty, opportunities, challenges, and future directions for the field are discussed.
Conclusions: There remains a need for fellowship programs and creation and maintenance of a professional home for the subspecialty with the American Medical Informatics Association. Ongoing attention to the currency of the core content is required to maintain an examination designed to test the key concepts within the field of Clinical Informatics.
- 1 Lehmann CU, O'Connor KG, Shorte VA, Johnson TD. Use of electronic health record systems by office-based pediatricians. Pediatrics 2015; Jan; 135 (01) e7-15
- 2 Gundlapalli AV, Gundlapalli AV, Greaves WW, Kesler D, Murray P, Safran C, Lehmann CU. Clinical Informatics Board Specialty Certification for Physicians: A Global View. Stud Health Technol Inform 2015; 216: 501-5 . PubMed PMID: 26262101
- 3 American Medical Informatics Association. History of the Clinical Informatics Subspecialty. Available online at https://www.amia.org/clini-cal-informatics-board-review-course/history . Last accessed 12/10/2017
- 4 Lehmann CU, Shorte V. Gundlapalli AV Clinical informatics sub-specialty board certification. Pediatr Rev 2013; Nov; 34 (11) 525-30
- 5 American Board of Medical Specialties. Board Certification and Maintenance of Certification. Available online at http://www.abms.org/board-certification/ . Last accessed 12/13/2017
- 6 Cummins MR, Gundlapalli AV, Murray P, Park HA, Lehmann CU. Nursing Informatics Certification Worldwide: History, Pathway, Roles, and Motivation Yearb Med Inform 2016; 264-71
- 7 Jha AK, Doolan D, Grandt D, Scott T, Bates DW. The use of health information technology in seven nations. Int J Med Inform 2008; Dec; 77 (12) 848-54
- 8 Fenton SH, Gongora-Ferraez MJ, Joost E. Health information technology knowledge and skills needed by HIT employers. Appl Clin Inform 2012; Dec 5; 3 (04) 448-61
- 9 Kannry J, Sengstack P, Thyvalikakath TP, Poikonen J, Middleton B, Payne T. , et al. The Chief Clinical Informatics Oficer (CCIO): AMIA Task Force Report on CCIO Knowledge, Education, and Skillset Requirements. Appl Clin Inform 2016; Mar 16; 7 (01) 143-76
- 10 Kim GR, Lehmann CU. In search of dialogue and discourse in applied clinical informatics. Appl Clin Inform 2009; Oct 14; 0 (01) 1-7
- 11 Haux R, Geissbuhler A, Holmes J, Jaulent MC, Koch S, Kulikowski CA. , et al. On Contributing to the Progress of Medical Informatics as Publisher. Yearb Med Inform 2017; Aug; 26 01: 9-15
- 12 Thieme Verlag, Lehmann CU. Applied Clinical Informatics. Available online at https://www.thieme.com/books-main/clinical-informatics/product/4433-aci-applied-clinical-informatics . Last accessed 3/30/2018
- 13 Detmer DE, Munger BS, Lehmann CU. Clinical informatics board certification: history, current status, and predicted impact on the clinical informatics workforce. Appl Clin Inform 2010; Feb 10; 1 (01) 11-8
- 14 Goodman KW, Adams S, Berner ES, Embi PJ, Hsi-ung R, Hurdle J, Jones DA, Lehmann CU, Maulden S, Petersen C, Terrazas E, Winkelstein P. AMIA's Code of Professional and Ethical Conduct. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2013; Jan-Feb; 20 (01) 141-143
- 15 Gardner RM, Overhage JM, Steen EB, Munger BS, Holmes JH, Williamson JJ. , et al; AMIA Board of Directors. Core content for the subspecialty of clinical informatics. J Am Med Inform Assoc 2009; Mar-Apr; 16 (02) 153-7
- 16 Detmer DE. Capacity building in e-health and health informatics: a review of the global vision and informatics educational initiatives of the American Medical Informatics Association. Yearb Med Inform 2010; 101-5
- 17 Safran C, Shabot MM, Munger BS, Holmes JH, Steen EB, Lumpkin JR. , et al; AMIA Board of Directors. Program requirements for fellowship education in the subspecialty of clinical informatics. J Am Med Inform Assoc 2009; Mar-Apr; 16 (02) 158-66
- 18 American Board of Preventive Medicine. Clinical Informatics 2017 Examination Blueprint. Available online at https://www.theabpm.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/2017CI-Content-Outline.pdf . Last accessed 12/13/2017
- 19 Boeder N, Holzer M, Schelling J. Realisation ofthe guidelines for faculty-internal exams at the Department of General Medicine at the University of Munich: Pushing medical exams one step ahead with IMSm. GMS Z Med Ausbild 2012; 29 (03) Doc42
- 20 American Board of Preventive Medicine. Sub-Specialty Requirements Clinical Informatics. Available online at 20. https://www.theabpm.org/theabpm.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/ClinicalInformatics.pdf . Last accessed 12/11/2017
- 21 AMIA. Clinical Informatics Fellowship Programs. Available online at https://www.amia.org/member-ship/academic-forum/clinical-informatics-fellowships . Last accessed 12/15/2017
- 22 ACGME-International. . Available online at www.acgme-i.org/ . Last accessed 12/13/2017
- 23 Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. Preventive Medicine. Available online at http://www.acgme.org/Specialties/Overview/pfcatid/20 . Last accessed 12/28/2017.
- 24 Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. The Clinical Informatics Milestone Project. Available online at https://www.acgme.org/Portals/0/PDFs/Milestones/ClinicalInformat-icsMilestones.pdf . Last accessed 12/13/2017
- 25 Silverman H, Lehmann CU, Munger B. Milestones: Critical Elements in Clinical Informatics Fellowship Programs Appl Clin Inform 2016; Mar 23; 7 (01) 177-90
- 26 Stenner SP, Chakravarthy R, Johnson KB, Miller WL, Olson J, Wickizer M. , et al. ePrescribing: Reducing Costs through In-Class Therapeutic Interchange. Appl Clin Inform 2016; Dec 14; 7 (04) 1168-1181
- 27 Sick AC, Lehmann CU, Tamma PD, Lee CK, Agwu AL. Sustained savings from a longitudinal cost analysis of an internet-based preapproval antimicrobial stewardship program. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2013; Jun; 34 (06) 573-80
- 28 Lehmann CU, Conner KG, Cox JM. Preventing provider errors: online total parenteral nutrition calculator. Pediatrics 2004; Apr; 113 (04) 748-53
- 29 Kim GR, Chen AR, Arceci RJ, Mitchell SH, Kokoszka KM, Daniel D. , et al. Error reduction in pediatric chemotherapy: computerized order entry and failure modes and effects analysis. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2006; May; 160 (05) 495-8
- 30 Westbrook JI, Li L, Raban MZ, Baysari MT, Mum-ford V, Prgomet M. , et al. Stepped-wedge cluster randomised controlled trial to assess the effectiveness of an electronic medication management system to reduce medication errors, adverse drug events and average length of stay at two paediatric hospitals: a study protocol. BMJ Open 2016; Oct 21; 6 (10) e011811
- 31 Lehmann CU, Longhurst CA, Hersh W, Mohan V, Levy BP, Embi PJ. , et al. Clinical Informatics Fellowship Programs: In Search of a Viable Financial Model: An open letter to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Appl Clin Inform 2015; Apr 15; 6 (02) 267-70
- 32 Sandhu C, Qureshi A, Emili A. Panomics for Precision Medicine. Trends Mol Med. 2017; Dec 4. pii: S1471-4914 (17)30201-0. [Epub ahead of print]
- 33 Almalki M, Gray K, Martin-Sanchez FJ. Refining the Concepts of Self-quantification Needed for Health Self-management. A Thematic Literature Review. Methods Inf Med 2017; Jan 9; 56 (01) 46-54
- 34 Kekade S, Hseieh CH, Islam MM, Atique S, Mohammed Khalfan A, Li YC. , et al. The usefulness and actual use of wearable devices among the elderly population. Comput Methods Programs Biomed 2018; Jan; 153: 137-159
- 35 AMIA Accreditation Committee. Knowledgeframework. Available online at http://www.cahiim.org/documents/FINAL%20AMIA%20Health%20Informatics%20Core%20Competencies%20for%20CAHIIM.pdf . Last accessed 12/14/2017