Predictive Factors of Thoracic Lymph Node Metastasis Accompanying Pulmonary Metastasis from Colorectal Cancer
22 January 2018
02 March 2018
29 May 2018 (online)
Background The aim of this study was to identify the factors predicting thoracic lymph node (LN) metastases for pulmonary resection from colorectal cancer (CRC).
Methods The records of 160 patients who underwent pulmonary metastasectomy for CRC were retrospectively reviewed. Clinicopathologic factors were analyzed with chi-square test or t-test and logistic regression to identify predictable factors for LN metastases.
Results Sixty patients (37.5%) underwent LN dissection during pulmonary metastasectomy, and LN metastases were found in five patients. Twenty-three patients had LN recurrence among the 100 patients (62.5%) without LN dissection during the follow-up period. Twenty-eight patients out of 160 (17.5%) had LN metastases. By multivariate analysis, the number of pulmonary metastasis and metastasis from colon cancers were independent factors predicting LN metastases.
Conclusion The number of pulmonary metastasis and metastasis from colon cancers were independent factors predicting LN metastases. LN sampling should be performed especially in cases with strong predictive factors to improve staging and help guide further treatment.
This article was presented at the 25th annual meeting of the Asian Society for Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, March 23–26, 2017, Seoul, Republic of Korea.
- 1 Cho S, Song IH, Yang HC, Jheon S. Prognostic factors of pulmonary metastasis from colorectal carcinoma. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2013; 17 (02) 303-307
- 2 Yedibela S, Klein P, Feuchter K. , et al. Surgical management of pulmonary metastases from colorectal cancer in 153 patients. Ann Surg Oncol 2006; 13 (11) 1538-1544
- 3 Pastorino U, Buyse M, Friedel G. , et al; International Registry of Lung Metastases. Long-term results of lung metastasectomy: prognostic analyses based on 5206 cases. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1997; 113 (01) 37-49
- 4 Ercan S, Nichols III FC, Trastek VF. , et al. Prognostic significance of lymph node metastasis found during pulmonary metastasectomy for extrapulmonary carcinoma. Ann Thorac Surg 2004; 77 (05) 1786-1791
- 5 Loehe F, Kobinger S, Hatz RA, Helmberger T, Loehrs U, Fuerst H. Value of systematic mediastinal lymph node dissection during pulmonary metastasectomy. Ann Thorac Surg 2001; 72 (01) 225-229
- 6 Saito Y, Omiya H, Kohno K. , et al. Pulmonary metastasectomy for 165 patients with colorectal carcinoma: a prognostic assessment. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2002; 124 (05) 1007-1013
- 7 Inoue M, Kotake Y, Nakagawa K, Fujiwara K, Fukuhara K, Yasumitsu T. Surgery for pulmonary metastases from colorectal carcinoma. Ann Thorac Surg 2000; 70 (02) 380-383
- 8 Koga R, Yamamoto J, Saiura A, Yamaguchi T, Hata E, Sakamoto M. Surgical resection of pulmonary metastases from colorectal cancer: four favourable prognostic factors. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2006; 36 (10) 643-648
- 9 Watanabe I, Arai T, Ono M. , et al. Prognostic factors in resection of pulmonary metastasis from colorectal cancer. Br J Surg 2003; 90 (11) 1436-1440
- 10 Riquet M, Foucault C, Cazes A. , et al. Pulmonary resection for metastases of colorectal adenocarcinoma. Ann Thorac Surg 2010; 89 (02) 375-380
- 11 Veronesi G, Petrella F, Leo F. , et al. Prognostic role of lymph node involvement in lung metastasectomy. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2007; 133 (04) 967-972
- 12 Welter S, Jacobs J, Krbek T, Poettgen C, Stamatis G. Prognostic impact of lymph node involvement in pulmonary metastases from colorectal cancer. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2007; 31 (02) 167-172
- 13 Szöke T, Kortner A, Neu R. , et al. Is the mediastinal lymphadenectomy during pulmonary metastasectomy of colorectal cancer necessary?. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2010; 10 (05) 694-698
- 14 Pfannschmidt J, Klode J, Muley T, Dienemann H, Hoffmann H. Nodal involvement at the time of pulmonary metastasectomy: experiences in 245 patients. Ann Thorac Surg 2006; 81 (02) 448-454
- 15 Hamaji M, Cassivi SD, Shen KR. , et al. Is lymph node dissection required in pulmonary metastasectomy for colorectal adenocarcinoma?. Ann Thorac Surg 2012; 94 (06) 1796-1800
- 16 Pfannschmidt J, Dienemann H, Hoffmann H. Surgical resection of pulmonary metastases from colorectal cancer: a systematic review of published series. Ann Thorac Surg 2007; 84 (01) 324-338
- 17 Kamiyoshihara M, Hirai T, Kawashima O, Ishikawa S, Morishita Y. The surgical treatment of metastatic tumors in the lung: is lobectomy with mediastinal lymph node dissection suitable treatment?. Oncol Rep 1998; 5 (02) 453-457