Subscribe to RSS
Response to Individualized Homeopathic Treatment for Depression in Climacteric Women with History of Domestic Violence, Marital Dissatisfaction or Sexual Abuse: Results from the HOMDEP-MENOP StudyFunding No external funding was provided for this trial. Homeopathic medicines, fluoxetine, and placebo were kindly donated by Laboratorio Similia, Mexico City.
15 February 2018
03 April 2018
05 June 2018 (online)
Background Although individualized homeopathic treatment is effective for depression in climacteric women, there is a lack of well-designed studies of its efficacy for depression in battered women or in post-traumatic stress disorder. The aim of this study was to assess the association between individualized homeopathic treatment or fluoxetine and response to depression treatment in climacteric women with high levels of domestic violence, sexual abuse or marital dissatisfaction.
Materials and Methods One hundred and thirty-three Mexican climacteric women with moderate-to-severe depression enrolled in the HOMDEP-MENOP Study (a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind, double-dummy, three-arm trial, with a 6-week follow-up study) were evaluated. Domestic violence, marital dissatisfaction and sexual abuse were assessed at baseline. Response to depression treatment was defined by a decrease of 50% or more from baseline score of Hamilton scale. Association between domestic violence, sexual abuse, and marital dissatisfaction and response to depression treatment was analyzed with bivariate analysis in the three groups. Odds ratio (OR) and 95% confidence interval (CI) were calculated.
Results Homeopathy versus placebo had a statistically significant association with response to depression treatment after adjusting for sexual abuse (OR [95% CI]: 11.07 [3.22 to 37.96]), domestic violence (OR [95% CI]: 10.30 [3.24 to 32.76]) and marital dissatisfaction (OR [95% CI]: 8.61 [2.85 to 25.99]).
Conclusions Individualized homeopathic treatment is associated with response to depression treatment in climacteric women with high levels of domestic violence, sexual abuse or marital dissatisfaction. Further studies should be conducted to evaluate its efficacy specifically for post-traumatic stress disorder in battered women.
ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01635218, URL: http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01635218?term=depression+homeopathy&rank=1
Keywordsindividualized homeopathic treatment - fluoxetine - domestic violence - sexual abuse - menopause - depression - post-traumatic stress disorder - Mexico
• Women in menopause with a history of DV and/or SA might be suffering PTSD with overlapped symptoms such as anxiety or depression.
• Individualized homeopathic treatment is associated with response to depression treatment in climacteric women with high levels of DV, SA or MA.
• There is a lack of well-designed studies of the efficacy of homeopathy for depression in battered women or in PTSD.
• Further studies should be conducted to evaluate the efficacy of homeopathy specifically for PTSD.
E.C.M.C. and J.A.B. participated in the design of the study. E.C.M.C. and L.L.l.G. evaluated study participants. E.C.M.C., J.A.B., and L.A.F. were responsible for the analysis and interpretation of data. EC.M.C, J.A.B, and L.A.F were substantially involved in drafting and revising the manuscript and gave final approval of the submitted version of the document. All authors read and approved the final manuscript.
- 1 Soares CN, Cohen LS. Perimenopause and mood disturbance: an update. CNS Spectr 2001; 6: 167-174
- 2 Bromberger JT, Matthews KA, Schott LL. , et al. Depressive symptoms during the menopausal transition: the Study of Women's Health Across the Nation (SWAN). J Affect Disord 2007; 103: 267-272
- 3 Mouton CP, Rodabough RJ, Rovi SL, Brzyski RG, Katerndahl DA. Psychosocial effects of physical and verbal abuse in postmenopausal women. Ann Fam Med 2010; 8: 206-213
- 4 Al Dosary AH. Health impact of domestic violence against Saudi women: cross sectional study. Int J Health Sci (Qassim) 2016; 10: 165-173
- 5 Adams AE, Sullivan CM, Bybee D, Greeson MR. Development of the scale of economic abuse. Violence Against Women 2008; 14: 563-588
- 6 Aghakhani N, Sharif Nia H, Moosavi E. , et al. Study of the types of domestic violence committed against women referred to the legal medical organization in Urmia - Iran. Iran J Psychiatry Behav Sci 2015; 9: e2446
- 7 World Health Organization. Preventing intimate partner and sexual violence against women: taking action and generating evidence. Available at: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/44350/9789241564007_eng.pdf?sequence=1 . Accessed March 14. 2018.
- 8 Sapkota D, Bhattarai S, Baral D, Pokharel PK. Domestic violence and its associated factors among married women of a village development committee of rural Nepal. BMC Res Notes 2016; 9: 178
- 9 Mujeres y hombres 2015. INEGI. Available at: http://internet.contenidos.inegi.org.mx/contenidos/productos/prod_serv/contenidos/espanol/bvinegi/productos/nueva_estruc/702825075019.pdf . May 14, 2018
- 10 Palacio C, Kridorian A, Saldarriaga N, Jairo J. Posttraumatic stress disorder and chronic pain. Tech Reg Anesth Pain Manage 2012; 16: 190-195
- 11 Allsworth JE, Zierler S, Krieger N, Harlow BL. Ovarian function in late reproductive years in relation to lifetime experiences of abuse. Epidemiology 2001; 12: 676-681
- 12 Thurston RC, Bromberger J, Chang Y. , et al. Childhood abuse or neglect is associated with increased vasomotor symptom reporting among midlife women. Menopause 2008; 15: 16-22
- 13 Guthrie JR, Dennerstein L, Taffe JR, Lehert P, Burger HG. The menopausal transition: a 9-year prospective population-based study. The Melbourne Women's Midlife Health Project. Climacteric 2004; 7: 375-389
- 14 Ferrari G, Agnew-Davies R, Bailey J. , et al. Domestic violence and mental health: a cross-sectional survey of women seeking help from domestic violence support services. Glob Health Action 2016; 9: 29890
- 15 Macías-Cortés Edel C, Llanes-González L, Aguilar-Faisal L, Asbun-Bojalil J. Individualized homeopathic treatment and fluoxetine for moderate to severe depression in peri- and postmenopausal women (HOMDEP-MENOP study): a randomized, double-dummy, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. PLoS One 2015; 10: e0118440
- 16 Hughes MJ, Jones L. Women, domestic violence, and posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Fam Ther 2000; 27: 125 http://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/5a44/17b3254897e6c21934464eee4a42891960f3.pdf
- 17 INMUJERES. Alerta de violencia de género contra las mujeres. Available at: https://www.gob.mx/inmujeres#acciones . Accessed April 30, 2018.
- 18 Hegarty KL, O'Doherty LJ, Chondros P. , et al. Effect of type and severity of intimate partner violence on women's health and service use: findings from a primary care trial of women afraid of their partners. J Interpers Violence 2013; 28: 273-294
- 19 Bell M, Goodman LA. Supporting battered women involved with the court system: an evaluation of a law school-based advocacy intervention. Violence Against Women 2001; 7: 1377-1404
- 20 Sullivan CM, Tan C, Basta J, Rumptz M, Davidson II WS. An advocacy intervention program for women with abusive partners: initial evaluation. Am J Community Psychol 1992; 20: 309-332
- 21 Chiba H, Oe M, Uchimura N. Patient with posttraumatic stress disorder with comorbid major depressive disorder require a higher dose of psychotropic drugs. Kurume Med J 2015; 62: 2
- 22 Ronconi JM, Shiner B, Watts BV. A meta-analysis of depressive symptom outcomes in randomized, controlled trials for PTSD. J Nerv Ment Dis 2015; 203: 522-529
- 23 Andreasen NC. Posttraumatic stress disorder: a history and a critique. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2010; 1208: 67-71
- 24 Hahnemann S. Organon of Medicine. 6th ed. Translated by Dr. William Boericke. New Delhi: B Jain Publishers Pvt. Ltd; 1900
- 25 Lathoud JA. Materia Medica. 1st ed. Argentina: Albatros; 2006
- 26 Davidson JRT, Crawford C, Ives JA, Jonas WB. Homeopathic treatments in psychiatry: a systematic review of randomized placebo-controlled studies. J Clin Psychiatry 2011; 72: 795-805
- 27 Adler UC, Paiva NMP, Cesar AT. , et al. Homeopathic individualized Q-potencies versus fluoxetine for moderate to severe depression: double-blind, randomized non-inferiority trial. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2011; 2011: 520182
- 28 Grolleau A, Bégaud B, Verdoux H. Characteristics associated with use of homeopathic drugs for psychiatric symptoms in the general population. Eur Psychiatry 2013; 28: 110-116
- 29 Makich L, Hussain R, Humphries JH. Management of depression by homeopathic practitioners in Sydney, Australia. Complement Ther Med 2007; 15: 199-206
- 30 Park CL, Finkelstein-Fox L, Barnes DM, Mazure CM, Hoff R. CAM use in recently-returned OEF/OIF/OND US veterans: demographic and psychosocial predictors. Complement Ther Med 2016; 28: 50-56