Is the Freedom SOLO Stentless Bioprosthesis a Useful Tool for Patients with Aortic Endocarditis and Aortic Annular Destruction?
04 December 2017
02 July 2018
16 August 2018 (online)
Background The Freedom SOLO (FS) stentless bovine-pericardial prosthesis with a supra-annular implantation technique can be a viable option for patients with endocarditic annular destruction. We assessed early- and long-term outcomes following the use of this prosthesis in extensive aortic valve endocarditis.
Methods From 2006 to 2016, 59 patients with extensive aortic endocarditis underwent aortic valve replacement (AVR) with FS (cumulative follow-up 263 patients-years) in three European centers; all patients presented annular tissue infection, while 54.3% of patients had annular abscess.
Results Mean age was 66 ± 11 years and mean EuroSCORE I was 30.3% (standard deviation: 24.1%). In our series, 30.5% of patients had prosthetic valve endocarditis. Early mortality was 15.2% (nine patients). Estimated overall survival at 5 and 10 years was 68.9% (95% confidence interval [CI]: 62.8–75.0%) and 59.1% (95% CI: 66.8–81.2%), respectively. At 10-year survival, freedom from valve-related death was 83.7% (95% CI: 80.9–86.5%). No structural valve deterioration was reported in this series. Five patients (8.5%) had recurrent endocarditis during follow-up and two of them underwent reoperation. Survival freedom from reoperation and endocarditis at 10-year follow-up was 88.0% (CI: 80.4–95.6%) and 86.7% (CI: 80.5–92.9%), respectively.
Conclusion FS stentless bioprosthesis is a valuable and simple option to achieve AVR in patients with extensive aortic annulus endocarditis. Although in this group of complex patients, early mortality remains considerably high, late survival outcomes are comparable to the more technically demanding homografts and conventional stentless bioprostheses, with low rates of endocarditis recurrence.
- 1 Cecchi E, Chirillo F, Castiglione A. , et al. Clinical epidemiology in Italian Registry of Infective Endocarditis (RIEI): focus on age, intravascular devices and enterococci. Int J Cardiol 2015; 190: 151-156
- 2 Fedeli U, Schievano E, Buonfrate D, Pellizzer G, Spolaore P. Increasing incidence and mortality of infective endocarditis: a population-based study through a record-linkage system. BMC Infect Dis 2011; 11: 48
- 3 Leroy O, Georges H, Devos P. , et al. Infective endocarditis requiring ICU admission: epidemiology and prognosis. Ann Intensive Care 2015; 5 (01) 45
- 4 Muñoz P, Kestler M, De Alarcon A. , et al; Spanish Collaboration on Endocarditis-Grupo de Apoyo al Manejo de la Endocarditis Infecciosa en España (GAMES). Current epidemiology and outcome of infective endocarditis: a multicenter, prospective, cohort study. Medicine (Baltimore) 2015; 94 (43) e1816
- 5 Khan O, Shafi AM, Timmis A. International guideline changes and the incidence of infective endocarditis: a systematic review. Open Heart 2016; 3 (02) e000498
- 6 Hoen B, Alla F, Selton-Suty C. , et al; Association pour l'Etude et la Prévention de l'Endocardite Infectieuse (AEPEI) Study Group. Changing profile of infective endocarditis: results of a 1-year survey in France. JAMA 2002; 288 (01) 75-81
- 7 Tornos P, Iung B, Permanyer-Miralda G. , et al. Infective endocarditis in Europe: lessons from the Euro heart survey. Heart 2005; 91 (05) 571-575
- 8 Byrne JG, Rezai K, Sanchez JA. , et al. Surgical management of endocarditis: the society of thoracic surgeons clinical practice guideline. Ann Thorac Surg 2011; 91 (06) 2012-2019
- 9 Habib G, Lancellotti P, Antunes MJ. , et al; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2015 ESC guidelines for the management of infective endocarditis: The Task Force for the Management of Infective Endocarditis of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Endorsed by: European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS), the European Association of Nuclear Medicine (EANM). Eur Heart J 2015; 36 (44) 3075-3128
- 10 Pettersson GB, Coselli JS, Hussain ST. et al. The American Association for Thoracic Surgery (AATS) consensus guidelines: Surgical treatment of infective endocarditis: Executive summary. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2017; 153: 1241-1258
- 11 Musci M, Weng Y, Hübler M. , et al. Homograft aortic root replacement in native or prosthetic active infective endocarditis: twenty-year single-center experience. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2010; 139 (03) 665-673
- 12 Leontyev S, Borger MA, Modi P. , et al. Surgical management of aortic root abscess: a 13-year experience in 172 patients with 100% follow-up. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2012; 143 (02) 332-337
- 13 Jassar AS, Bavaria JE, Szeto WY. , et al. Graft selection for aortic root replacement in complex active endocarditis: does it matter?. Ann Thorac Surg 2012; 93 (02) 480-487
- 14 Pfeiffer S, Santarpino G, Fischlein T. Stentless pericardial valve for acute aortic valve endocarditis with annular destruction. J Cardiovasc Med 2015; 16: 318-319
- 15 Perrotta S, Lentini S. In patients with severe active aortic valve endocarditis, is a stentless valve as good as the homograft?. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2010; 11 (03) 309-313
- 16 Schneider AW, Hazekamp MG, Versteegh MI. , et al. Stentless bioprostheses: a versatile and durable solution in extensive aortic valve endocarditis. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2016; 49 (06) 1699-1704
- 17 Silaschi M, Nicou N, Deshpande R. , et al. Complicated infective aortic endocarditis: comparison of different surgical strategies. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2017; 25 (03) 343-349
- 18 Repossini A, Kotelnikov I, Bouchikhi R. , et al. Single-suture line placement of a pericardial stentless valve. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2005; 130 (05) 1265-1269
- 19 Akins CW, Miller DC, Turina MI. , et al; STS; AATS; EACTS. Guidelines for reporting mortality and morbidity after cardiac valve interventions. Ann Thorac Surg 2008; 85 (04) 1490-1495
- 20 Moon MR, Miller DC, Moore KA. , et al. Treatment of endocarditis with valve replacement: the question of tissue versus mechanical prosthesis. Ann Thorac Surg 2001; 71 (04) 1164-1171
- 21 Nguyen DT, Delahaye F, Obadia JF. , et al; AEPEI study group. Aortic valve replacement for active infective endocarditis: 5-year survival comparison of bioprostheses, homografts and mechanical prostheses. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2010; 37 (05) 1025-1032
- 22 Preventza O, Mohamed AS, Cooley DA. , et al. Homograft use in reoperative aortic root and proximal aortic surgery for endocarditis: a 12-year experience in high-risk patients. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2014; 148 (03) 989-994
- 23 Lund O, Chandrasekaran V, Grocott-Mason R. , et al. Primary aortic valve replacement with allografts over twenty-five years: valve-related and procedure-related determinants of outcome. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1999; 117 (01) 77-90 , discussion 90–91
- 24 David TE, Regesta T, Gavra G, Armstrong S, Maganti MD. Surgical treatment of paravalvular abscess: long-term results. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2007; 31 (01) 43-48
- 25 Kim JB, Ejiofor JI, Yammine M. , et al. Are homografts superior to conventional prosthetic valves in the setting of infective endocarditis involving the aortic valve?. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2016; 151 (05) 1239-1246 , 1248.e1–1248.e2
- 26 Leyh RG, Knobloch K, Hagl C. , et al. Replacement of the aortic root for acute prosthetic valve endocarditis: prosthetic composite versus aortic allograft root replacement. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2004; 127 (05) 1416-1420
- 27 Takkenberg JJ, Klieverik LM, Bekkers JA. , et al. Allografts for aortic valve or root replacement: insights from an 18-year single-center prospective follow-up study. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2007; 31 (05) 851-859
- 28 Sponga S, Daffarra C, Pavoni D. , et al. Surgical management of destructive aortic endocarditis: left ventricular outflow reconstruction with the Sorin Pericarbon Freedom stentless bioprosthesis. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2016; 49 (01) 242-248
- 29 Musci M, Siniawski H, Pasic M. , et al. Surgical therapy in patients with active infective endocarditis: seven-year single centre experience in a subgroup of 255 patients treated with the Shelhigh stentless bioprosthesis. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2008; 34 (02) 410-417
- 30 Flameng W, Daenen W, Jashari R, Herijgers P, Meuris B. Durability of homografts used to treat complex aortic valve endocarditis. Ann Thorac Surg 2015; 99 (04) 1234-1238
- 31 Savage EB, Saha-Chaudhuri P, Asher CR, Brennan JM, Gammie JS. Outcomes and prosthesis choice for active aortic valve infective endocarditis: analysis of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons Adult Cardiac Surgery Database. Ann Thorac Surg 2014; 98 (03) 806-814
- 32 Grinda JM, Mainardi JL, D'Attellis N. , et al. Cryopreserved aortic viable homograft for active aortic endocarditis. Ann Thorac Surg 2005; 79 (03) 767-771