Hybrid Off-pump Second-Stage Aortic Arch Repair after Type A Dissection
03 June 2018
26 July 2018
22 September 2018 (online)
Background Ascending aorta or hemi-arch repair are common in the acute phase of type A dissection. Postdissection aneurysms can develop with antegrade perfusion of the false lumen in the dissected aortic arch and require reoperation.
Methods From 2012 to 2018, we reoperated nine patients with postdissection aneurysms using a hybrid technique without cardiopulmonary bypass. The patients had a EuroSCORE II of 13% and a logistic EuroSCORE I of 45% and were not candidates for frozen elephant trunk surgery. The median interval since the acute ascending repair was 184 (92; 528) days. All patients were treated by median resternotomy, ascending to carotid bypass on a partially clamped ascending graft, and transfemoral endovascular repair with a Relay NBS (nonbare stent) or conformable Gore C-TAG stent graft.
Results Technical success was achieved in all cases. Mean follow-up was 405 (220; 672) days. There was no disabling stroke, endoleak, paraplegia, in-hospital, or late mortality. In all patients, the false lumen was completely thrombosed at the aortic arch level with a median aneurysm shrinkage of 13 mm in the distal arch. There was no bird beak or stent graft migration. Distal stent-induced new entry was observed in one case. Reinterventions were not necessary due to diameter stability.
Conclusion Complete debranching with transfemoral thoracic endovascular aneurysm repair showed encouraging results in patients with relevant comorbidities. The used stent grafts performed well in the mid-term follow-up period with no endoleaks or migration.
- 1 Poon SS, Theologou T, Harrington D, Kuduvalli M, Oo A, Field M. Hemiarch versus total aortic arch replacement in acute type A dissection: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Cardiothorac Surg 2016; 5 (03) 156-173
- 2 Di Bartolomeo R, Leone A, Di Marco L, Pacini D. When and how to replace the aortic arch for type A dissection. Ann Cardiothorac Surg 2016; 5 (04) 383-388
- 3 Di Bartolomeo R, Pantaleo A, Berretta P. , et al. Frozen elephant trunk surgery in acute aortic dissection. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2015; 149 (2, Suppl): S105-S109
- 4 Dell'Aquila AM, Pollari F, Fattouch K. , et al. Early outcomes in re-do operation after acute type A aortic dissection: results from the multicenter REAAD database. Heart Vessels 2017; 32 (05) 566-573
- 5 Brechtel K, Kalender G, Stock UA, Wildhirt SM. Hybrid debranching and TEVAR of the aortic arch off-pump, in re-do patients with complicated chronic type-A aortic dissections: a critical report. J Cardiothorac Surg 2013; 8: 188
- 6 Ma M, Feng X, Wang J. , et al. Acute Type I aortic dissection: a propensity-matched comparison of elephant trunk and arch debranching repairs. Interact CardioVasc Thorac Surg 2018; 26: 183-189
- 7 Czerny M, Kreibich M, Morlock J. , et al. Chronic type B “residual” after type A: what I would do?. J Vis Surg 2018; 4: 14
- 8 Moz M, Misfeld M, Leontyev S, Borger MA, Davierwala P, Mohr FW. Aortic arch reoperation in a single centre: early and late results in 57 consecutive patients. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2013; 44 (01) e82-e86
- 9 Wang H, Wagner M, Benrashid E. , et al. Outcomes of reoperation after acute type A aortic dissection: implications for index repair strategy. J Am Heart Assoc 2017; 6 (10) 6
- 10 Seike Y, Matsuda H, Fukuda T. , et al. Total arch replacement versus debranching thoracic endovascular aortic repair for aortic arch aneurysm: what indicates a high-risk patient for arch repair in octogenarians?. Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2018; 66 (05) 263-269
- 11 Milne CP, Amako M, Spear R. , et al. Inner-branched endografts for the treatment of aortic arch aneurysms after open ascending aortic replacement for type A dissection. Ann Thorac Surg 2016; 102 (06) 2028-2035
- 12 Spear R, Hertault A, Van Calster K. , et al. Complex endovascular repair of postdissection arch and thoracoabdominal aneurysms. J Vasc Surg 2018; 67 (03) 685-693
- 13 Wang T, Shu C, Li M. , et al. Thoracic endovascular aortic repair with single/double chimney technique for aortic arch pathologies. J Endovasc Ther 2017; 24 (03) 383-393
- 14 Voskresensky I, Scali ST, Feezor RJ. , et al. Outcomes of thoracic endovascular aortic repair using aortic arch chimney stents in high-risk patients. J Vasc Surg 2017; 66 (01) 9-20.e3
- 15 Kotha VK, Herget EJ, Appoo JJ. Complications at the proximal landing zone of endovascular stent grafts deployed in surgically replaced ascending aorta. Ann Thorac Surg 2016; 102 (05) 1490-1497
- 16 Bavaria J, Vallabhajosyula P, Moeller P, Szeto W, Desai N, Pochettino A. Hybrid approaches in the treatment of aortic arch aneurysms: postoperative and midterm outcomes. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2013; 145 (3, Suppl): S85-S90
- 17 Kent WD, Appoo JJ, Bavaria JE. , et al. Results of type II hybrid arch repair with zone 0 stent graft deployment for complex aortic arch pathology. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2014; 148 (06) 2951-2955
- 18 Liu P, Chang Q, Qian X. , et al. Early and mid-term results after hybrid total arch repair of DeBakey type I dissection without deep hypothermic circulatory arrest. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2016; 23 (04) 608-615
- 19 Vallabhajosyula P, Szeto W, Desai N, Bavaria JE. Type I and type II hybrid aortic arch replacement: postoperative and mid-term outcome analysis. Ann Cardiothorac Surg 2013; 2 (03) 280-287
- 20 Vallabhajosyula P, Szeto WY, Desai N, Komlo C, Bavaria JE. Type II arch hybrid debranching procedure. Ann Cardiothorac Surg 2013; 2 (03) 378-386
- 21 Berezowski M, Morlock J, Beyersdorf F. , et al. Inaccurate aortic stent graft deployment in the distal landing zone: incidence, reasons and consequences. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2018; 53 (06) 1158-1164
- 22 Ueda T, Fleischmann D, Dake MD, Rubin GD, Sze DY. Incomplete endograft apposition to the aortic arch: bird-beak configuration increases risk of endoleak formation after thoracic endovascular aortic repair. Radiology 2010; 255 (02) 645-652
- 23 Czerny M, Rylski B, Morlock J. , et al. Orthotopic branched endovascular aortic arch repair in patients who cannot undergo classical surgery. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2018; 53 (05) 1007-1012
- 24 Böckler D, Brunkwall J, Taylor PR, Mangialardi N, Hüsing J, Larzon T. ; CTAG registry investigators. Thoracic endovascular aortic repair of aortic arch pathologies with the conformable thoracic aortic graft: early and 2 year results from a European Multicentre Registry. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2016; 51 (06) 791-800