Deleterious Effects of Methylene Blue on Rat Nucleus Pulposus Cell in Vitro: Changes in Cell Viability and Secretory Phenotype in Exposed Cells
27. März 2018
31. Juli 2018
28. Februar 2019 (eFirst)
Purpose To investigate the effects of methylene blue (MB) on the viability and secretory phenotype of rat nucleus pulposus (NP) cells in vitro.
Methods Rat NP cells were isolated, cultured, and treated with different MB concentrations (0–6.25 ng/mL) for different lengths of time. We evaluated the changes in cell morphology and cell viability. We also examined the cells for expression of collagen II, aggrecan, matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-3, MMP-9, and inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS).
Results After 2.5 to 6.25 ng/mL MB induced for 6 hours, numerous NP cells were dyed blue and rounded up. The adherent cell number was reduced by MB treatment. The viability of rat NP cells was significantly inhibited by MB in a dose- and time-dependent manner. Treatment with a very low dose of MB (1.5625 ng/mL) resulted in lower expression of collagen II and aggrecan and higher expression of MMP-3, MMP-9, and iNOS in rat NP cells.
Conclusions Rat NP cells exposed in vitro to MB significantly reduced their viability. Moreover, MB upregulated catabolism gene expression and downregulated anabolism gene expression in rat NP cells. These results suggest MB may be harmful to NP cells. The dose of intradiskal injected MB should be as low as possible to prevent or limit the damage to intervertebral disks.
- 1 Eun SS, Lee SH, Sabal LA. Long-term follow-up results of percutaneous endoscopic lumbar discectomy. Pain Physician 2016; 19 (08) E1161-E1166
- 2 Mayer HM, Brock M. Percutaneous endoscopic lumbar discectomy (PELD). Neurosurg Rev 1993; 16 (02) 115-120
- 3 Peng B, Zhang Y, Hou S, Wu W, Fu X. Intradiscal methylene blue injection for the treatment of chronic discogenic low back pain. Eur Spine J 2007; 16 (01) 33-38
- 4 Kallewaard JW, Geurts JW, Kessels A, Willems P, van Santbrink H, van Kleef M. Efficacy, safety, and predictors of intradiscal methylene blue injection for discogenic low back pain: results of a multicenter prospective clinical series. Pain Pract 2016; 16 (04) 405-412
- 5 Wang F, Cai F, Shi R, Wei JN, Wu XT. Hypoxia regulates sumoylation pathways in intervertebral disc cells: implications for hypoxic adaptations. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2016; 24 (06) 1113-1124
- 6 Xie L, Li W, Winters A, Yuan F, Jin K, Yang S. Methylene blue induces macroautophagy through 5′ adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase pathway to protect neurons from serum deprivation. Front Cell Neurosci 2013; 7: 56
- 7 Lu Q, Tucker D, Dong Y, Zhao N, Zhang Q. Neuroprotective and functional improvement effects of methylene blue in global cerebral ischemia. Mol Neurobiol 2016; 53 (08) 5344-5355
- 8 Roy Choudhury G, Winters A, Rich RM. , et al. Methylene blue protects astrocytes against glucose oxygen deprivation by improving cellular respiration. PLoS One 2015; 10 (04) e0123096
- 9 Daudt III DR, Mueller B, Park YH, Wen Y, Yorio T. Methylene blue protects primary rat retinal ganglion cells from cellular senescence. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2012; 53 (08) 4657-4667
- 10 Wu HM, Lee CG, Hwang SJ, Kim SG. Mitigation of carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatic injury by methylene blue, a repurposed drug, is mediated by dual inhibition of GSK3β downstream of PKA. Br J Pharmacol 2014; 171 (11) 2790-2802
- 11 Sturmey RG, Wild CP, Hardie LJ. Removal of red light minimizes methylene blue-stimulated DNA damage in oesophageal cells: implications for chromoendoscopy. Mutagenesis 2009; 24 (03) 253-258
- 12 Brouzas D, Droutsas D, Charakidas A. , et al. Severe toxic effect of methylene blue 1% on iris epithelium and corneal endothelium. Cornea 2006; 25 (04) 470-471
- 13 Kirszberg C, Rumjanek VM, Capella MA. Methylene blue is more toxic to erythroleukemic cells than to normal peripheral blood mononuclear cells: a possible use in chemotherapy. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 2005; 56 (06) 659-665
- 14 Lee JH, Chang CH, Park CH, Kim JK. Methylene blue dye-induced skin necrosis in immediate breast reconstruction: evaluation and management. Arch Plast Surg 2014; 41 (03) 258-263
- 15 Zhang X, Hao J, Hu Z, Yang H. Clinical evaluation and magnetic resonance imaging assessment of intradiscal methylene blue injection for the treatment of discogenic low back pain. Pain Physician 2016; 19 (08) E1189-E1195
- 16 Kim SH, Ahn SH, Cho YW, Lee DG. Effect of intradiscal methylene blue injection for the chronic discogenic low back pain: one year prospective follow-up study. Ann Rehabil Med 2012; 36 (05) 657-664
- 17 Peng B, Pang X, Wu Y, Zhao C, Song X. A randomized placebo-controlled trial of intradiscal methylene blue injection for the treatment of chronic discogenic low back pain. Pain 2010; 149 (01) 124-129
- 18 Gupta G, Radhakrishna M, Chankowsky J, Asenjo JF. Methylene blue in the treatment of discogenic low back pain. Pain Physician 2012; 15 (04) 333-338