Subscribe to RSS
Safety of Ticagrelor Compared to Clopidogrel after Prehospital Initiation of TreatmentFunding No external funding was received for this study.
09 February 2018
22 August 2018
11 October 2018 (online)
Objectives The objective of this registry was to study the safety of prehospital initiation of ticagrelor compared with clopidogrel.
Background Ticagrelor has replaced clopidogrel in many hospitals as the routinely used antiplatelet drug in patients with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI). Nevertheless, in the PLATelet inhibition and patient Outcomes (PLATO) trial, ticagrelor was associated with an increase in non-CABG (non–coronary artery bypass grafting)-related major bleeding. Data comparing the safety of ticagrelor and clopidogrel after prehospital initiation of treatment are not available.
Methods A retrospective, multicenter registry was performed. Selection criteria were the administration of a prehospital loading dose of ticagrelor or clopidogrel according to the ambulance STEMI treatment protocol and the presentation to a percutaneous coronary intervention–capable hospital in our region between January 2011 and December 2012. Follow-up was performed using the electronic patient files for the time period between the antiplatelet loading dose and hospital discharge. The data were analyzed using a primary bleeding end point (any bleeding) and a secondary thrombotic end point (all-cause mortality, spontaneous myocardial infarction, definite stent thrombosis, stroke, or transient ischemic attack).
Results Data of 304 clopidogrel-treated and 309 ticagrelor-treated patients were available for analysis. No significant difference in bleeding rate was observed between both groups, using univariate (17.8 vs. 20.1%; p = 0.47; odds ratio, 1.16 [95% confidence interval, 0.78–1.74]) and multivariate (p = 0.42) analysis. Also for the secondary thrombotic end point (6.3 vs. 4.9%, p = 0.45), no significant differences were observed.
Conclusion In this real-world registry, no significant differences in bleeding or thrombotic event rate were found between ticagrelor and clopidogrel after prehospital initiation of treatment.
- 1 Davì G, Patrono C. Platelet activation and atherothrombosis. N Engl J Med 2007; 357 (24) 2482-2494
- 2 Ruggeri ZM. Platelets in atherothrombosis. Nat Med 2002; 8 (11) 1227-1234
- 3 Vlaar PJ, Svilaas T, Damman K. , et al. Impact of pretreatment with clopidogrel on initial patency and outcome in patients treated with primary percutaneous coronary intervention for ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction: a systematic review. Circulation 2008; 118 (18) 1828-1836
- 4 Mehta SR, Yusuf S, Peters RJ. , et al; Clopidogrel in Unstable angina to prevent Recurrent Events trial (CURE) Investigators. Effects of pretreatment with clopidogrel and aspirin followed by long-term therapy in patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention: the PCI-CURE study. Lancet 2001; 358 (9281): 527-533
- 5 Sabatine MS, Cannon CP, Gibson CM. , et al; CLARITY-TIMI 28 Investigators. Addition of clopidogrel to aspirin and fibrinolytic therapy for myocardial infarction with ST-segment elevation. N Engl J Med 2005; 352 (12) 1179-1189
- 6 Chen ZM, Jiang LX, Chen YP. , et al; COMMIT (ClOpidogrel and Metoprolol in Myocardial Infarction Trial) collaborative group. Addition of clopidogrel to aspirin in 45,852 patients with acute myocardial infarction: randomised placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2005; 366 (9497): 1607-1621
- 7 Montalescot G, van 't Hof AW, Lapostolle F. , et al; ATLANTIC Investigators. Prehospital ticagrelor in ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 2014; 371 (11) 1016-1027
- 8 van Werkum JW, Heestermans AA, de Korte FI. , et al. Long-term clinical outcome after a first angiographically confirmed coronary stent thrombosis: an analysis of 431 cases. Circulation 2009; 119 (06) 828-834
- 9 Grimfjärd P, Erlinge D, Koul S. , et al. Low real-world early stent thrombosis rates in ST-elevation myocardial infarction patients and the use of bivalirudin, heparin alone or glycoprotein IIb/IIIa inhibitor treatment: A nationwide Swedish registry report. Am Heart J 2016; 176: 78-82
- 10 Ibanez B, James S, Agewall S. , et al; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2017 ESC Guidelines for the management of acute myocardial infarction in patients presenting with ST-segment elevation: The Task Force for the management of acute myocardial infarction in patients presenting with ST-segment elevation of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur Heart J 2018; 39 (02) 119-177
- 11 O'Gara PT, Kushner FG, Ascheim DD. , et al; American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. 2013 ACCF/AHA guideline for the management of ST-elevation myocardial infarction: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. Circulation 2013; 127 (04) e362-e425
- 12 Wiviott SD, Braunwald E, McCabe CH. , et al; TRITON-TIMI 38 Investigators. Prasugrel versus clopidogrel in patients with acute coronary syndromes. N Engl J Med 2007; 357 (20) 2001-2015
- 13 Wallentin L, Becker RC, Budaj A. , et al; PLATO Investigators. Ticagrelor versus clopidogrel in patients with acute coronary syndromes. N Engl J Med 2009; 361 (11) 1045-1057
- 14 Gurbel PA, Bliden KP, Butler K. , et al. Randomized double-blind assessment of the ONSET and OFFSET of the antiplatelet effects of ticagrelor versus clopidogrel in patients with stable coronary artery disease: the ONSET/OFFSET study. Circulation 2009; 120 (25) 2577-2585
- 15 Umemura K, Iwaki T. The pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of prasugrel and clopidogrel in healthy japanese volunteers. Clin Pharmacol Drug Dev 2016; 5 (06) 480-487
- 16 Beigel R, Fefer P, Rosenberg N. , et al. Antiplatelet effect of thienopyridine (clopidogrel or prasugrel) pretreatment in patients undergoing primary percutaneous intervention for ST elevation myocardial infarction. Am J Cardiol 2013; 112 (10) 1551-1556
- 17 Bergmeijer TO, Godschalk TC, Janssen PWA. , et al. How long does it take for clopidogrel and ticagrelor to inhibit platelets in patients undergoing primary percutaneous coronary intervention? A detailed pharmacodynamic analysis: Time course of platelet reactivity in STEMI (TOPS). Semin Thromb Hemost 2017; 43 (04) 439-446
- 18 Campo G, Valgimigli M, Gemmati D. , et al. Value of platelet reactivity in predicting response to treatment and clinical outcome in patients undergoing primary coronary intervention: insights into the STRATEGY Study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006; 48 (11) 2178-2185
- 19 Heestermans AA, van Werkum JW, Taubert D. , et al. Impaired bioavailability of clopidogrel in patients with a ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction. Thromb Res 2008; 122 (06) 776-781
- 20 Steg PG, James SK, Atar D. , et al; Task Force on the management of ST-segment elevation acute myocardial infarction of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). ESC Guidelines for the management of acute myocardial infarction in patients presenting with ST-segment elevation. Eur Heart J 2012; 33 (20) 2569-2619
- 21 Mehran R, Lansky AJ, Witzenbichler B. , et al; HORIZONS-AMI Trial Investigators. Bivalirudin in patients undergoing primary angioplasty for acute myocardial infarction (HORIZONS-AMI): 1-year results of a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2009; 374 (9696): 1149-1159
- 22 Van't Hof AW, Ten Berg J, Heestermans T. , et al; Ongoing Tirofiban In Myocardial infarction Evaluation (On-TIME) 2 study group. Prehospital initiation of tirofiban in patients with ST-elevation myocardial infarction undergoing primary angioplasty (On-TIME 2): a multicentre, double-blind, randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2008; 372 (9638): 537-546
- 23 Mehran R, Rao SV, Bhatt DL. , et al. Standardized bleeding definitions for cardiovascular clinical trials: a consensus report from the Bleeding Academic Research Consortium. Circulation 2011; 123 (23) 2736-2747
- 24 Thygesen K, Alpert JS, Jaffe AS. , et al; Joint ESC/ACCF/AHA/WHF Task Force for Universal Definition of Myocardial Infarction; Authors/Task Force Members Chairpersons; Biomarker Subcommittee; ECG Subcommittee; Imaging Subcommittee; Classification Subcommittee; Intervention Subcommittee; Trials & Registries Subcommittee; Trials & Registries Subcommittee; Trials & Registries Subcommittee; Trials & Registries Subcommittee; ESC Committee for Practice Guidelines (CPG); Document Reviewers. Third universal definition of myocardial infarction. J Am Coll Cardiol 2012; 60 (16) 1581-1598
- 25 Cutlip DE, Windecker S, Mehran R. , et al; Academic Research Consortium. Clinical end points in coronary stent trials: a case for standardized definitions. Circulation 2007; 115 (17) 2344-2351
- 26 Steg PG, van 't Hof A, Hamm CW. , et al; EUROMAX Investigators. Bivalirudin started during emergency transport for primary PCI. N Engl J Med 2013; 369 (23) 2207-2217
- 27 Silvain J, Storey RF, Cayla G. , et al. P2Y12 receptor inhibition and effect of morphine in patients undergoing primary PCI for ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction. The PRIVATE-ATLANTIC study. Thromb Haemost 2016; 116 (02) 369-378
- 28 Dörler J, Edlinger M, Alber HF. , et al; Austrian Acute PCI Investigators. Clopidogrel pre-treatment is associated with reduced in-hospital mortality in primary percutaneous coronary intervention for acute ST-elevation myocardial infarction. Eur Heart J 2011; 32 (23) 2954-2961
- 29 Koul S, Smith JG, Scherstén F, James S, Lagerqvist B, Erlinge D. Effect of upstream clopidogrel treatment in patients with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction undergoing primary percutaneous coronary intervention. Eur Heart J 2011; 32 (23) 2989-2997
- 30 Zeymer U, Arntz HR, Mark B. , et al. Efficacy and safety of a high loading dose of clopidogrel administered prehospitally to improve primary percutaneous coronary intervention in acute myocardial infarction: the randomized CIPAMI trial. Clin Res Cardiol 2012; 101 (04) 305-312
- 31 Bellemain-Appaix A, Bégué C, Bhatt DL. , et al. The efficacy of early versus delayed P2Y12 inhibition in percutaneous coronary intervention for ST-elevation myocardial infarction: a systematic review and meta-analysis. EuroIntervention 2018; 14 (01) 78-85
- 32 Clemmensen P, Grieco N, Ince H. , et al; MULTIPRAC study investigators. MULTInational non-interventional study of patients with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction treated with PRimary Angioplasty and Concomitant use of upstream antiplatelet therapy with prasugrel or clopidogrel--the European MULTIPRAC Registry. Eur Heart J Acute Cardiovasc Care 2015; 4 (03) 220-229
- 33 De Backer O, Ratcovich H, Biasco L. , et al. Prehospital administration of P2Y12 inhibitors and early coronary reperfusion in primary PCI: an observational comparative study. Thromb Haemost 2015; 114 (03) 623-631
- 34 Cayla G, Lapostolle F, Ecollan P. , et al; ACTION study group. Pre-hospital ticagrelor in ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction in the French ATLANTIC population. Int J Cardiol 2017; 244: 49-53
- 35 McEvoy JW, Ibrahim K, Kickler TS. , et al. Effect of intravenous fentanyl on ticagrelor absorption and platelet inhibition among patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention: The PACIFY randomized clinical trial (platelet aggregation with ticagrelor inhibition and fentanyl). Circulation 2018; 137 (03) 307-309
- 36 Hobl EL, Stimpfl T, Ebner J. , et al. Morphine decreases clopidogrel concentrations and effects: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 2014; 63 (07) 630-635
- 37 Parodi G, Bellandi B, Xanthopoulou I. , et al. Morphine is associated with a delayed activity of oral antiplatelet agents in patients with ST-elevation acute myocardial infarction undergoing primary percutaneous coronary intervention. Circ Cardiovasc Interv 2014; 8 (01) e001593
- 38 Fournier N, Toesca R, Bessereau J. , et al. Ticagrelor or prasugrel for pre-hospital protocols in STEMI?. Int J Cardiol 2013; 168 (04) 4566-4567