Early Prognostic Value of High-Sensitivity Troponin T after Coronary Artery Bypass GraftingFunding This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
24 July 2018
01 October 2018
28 November 2018 (online)
Background Periprocedural myocardial injury after coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) may affect the patient's prognosis and may be due to a different set of factors beyond the atherosclerotic plaque instability. Considering the challenges in the diagnosis of myocardial injury after CABG, the aim of this study was to determine the association between postoperative early elevation of high-sensitivity troponin T (hsTnT) and all-cause 30-day mortality after CABG.
Methods We enrolled 600 consecutive patients who underwent CABG. The hsTnT value was measured immediately before surgery and in the morning of the first postoperative day.
Results The baseline hsTnT was 13 ng/L (7–26 ng/L) and 273 patients (45.7%) had baseline hsTnT above the 99th percentile/upper reference limit (URL) (14 ng/L). The median for hsTnT at first postoperative day was 235 ng/L (152–425 ng/L). We calculated the postoperative hsTnT ratio to URL for each patient, representing the number of times exceeding the URL (hsTnT value divided by 14 ng/L). The multivariate analysis by Cox proportional hazard model revealed that age (years) (hazard ratio [HR] = 1.13, 95% confidence interval [CI]: 1.07–1.20; p < 0.001) and postoperative hsTnT ratio to URL (per 10-fold increase) (HR = 1.06, 95% CI: 1.04–1.08; p < 0.001) were independent predictors of all-cause 30-day mortality after CABG.
Conclusion In our series, age and higher postoperative hsTnT levels were independent and reliable predictors of all-cause 30-day mortality after CABG.
This study was presented in part at the European Congress of Cardiology, London, 2015.
- 1 Grobben RB, Nathoe HM, Januzzi Jr JL, van Kimmenade RR. Cardiac markers following cardiac surgery and percutaneous coronary intervention. Clin Lab Med 2014; 34 (01) 99-111 , vii
- 2 Mohammed AA, Agnihotri AK, van Kimmenade RR. , et al. Prospective, comprehensive assessment of cardiac troponin T testing after coronary artery bypass graft surgery. Circulation 2009; 120 (10) 843-850
- 3 Pretto P, Martins GF, Biscaro A, Kruczan DD, Jessen B. Perioperative myocardial infarction in patients undergoing myocardial revascularization surgery. Rev Bras Cir Cardiovasc 2015; 30 (01) 49-54
- 4 Steuer J, Bjerner T, Duvernoy O. , et al. Visualisation and quantification of peri-operative myocardial infarction after coronary artery bypass surgery with contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging. Eur Heart J 2004; 25 (15) 1293-1299
- 5 Paparella D, Cappabianca G, Visicchio G. , et al. Cardiac troponin I release after coronary artery bypass grafting operation: effects on operative and midterm survival. Ann Thorac Surg 2005; 80 (05) 1758-1764
- 6 Schnell F, Donal E, Bernard A. , et al. Improved diagnosis of post-operative myocardial infarction by contrast echocardiography after coronary artery bypass graft surgery. Eur J Echocardiogr 2011; 12 (08) 612-618
- 7 Selvanayagam JB, Petersen SE, Francis JM. , et al. Effects of off-pump versus on-pump coronary surgery on reversible and irreversible myocardial injury: a randomized trial using cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging and biochemical markers. Circulation 2004; 109 (03) 345-350
- 8 Apple FS, Collinson PO. ; IFCC Task Force on Clinical Applications of Cardiac Biomarkers Analytical characteristics of high-sensitivity cardiac troponin assays. Clin Chem 2012; 58 (01) 54-61
- 9 Thygesen K, Alpert JS, Jaffe AS. , et al; Joint ESC/ACCF/AHA/WHF Task Force for Universal Definition of Myocardial Infarction; Authors/Task Force Members Chairpersons; Biomarker Subcommittee; ECG Subcommittee; Imaging Subcommittee; Classification Subcommittee; Intervention Subcommittee; Trials & Registries Subcommittee; Trials & Registries Subcommittee; Trials & Registries Subcommittee; Trials & Registries Subcommittee; ESC Committee for Practice Guidelines (CPG); Document Reviewers. Third universal definition of myocardial infarction. J Am Coll Cardiol 2012; 60 (16) 1581-1598
- 10 Giannitsis E, Kurz K, Hallermayer K, Jarausch J, Jaffe AS, Katus HA. Analytical validation of a high-sensitivity cardiac troponin T assay. Clin Chem 2010; 56 (02) 254-261
- 11 Muehlschlegel JD, Perry TE, Liu KY. , et al; CABG Genomics Investigators. Troponin is superior to electrocardiogram and creatinine kinase MB for predicting clinically significant myocardial injury after coronary artery bypass grafting. Eur Heart J 2009; 30 (13) 1574-1583
- 12 Croal BL, Hillis GS, Gibson PH. , et al. Relationship between postoperative cardiac troponin I levels and outcome of cardiac surgery. Circulation 2006; 114 (14) 1468-1475
- 13 Pegg TJ, Maunsell Z, Karamitsos TD. , et al. Utility of cardiac biomarkers for the diagnosis of type V myocardial infarction after coronary artery bypass grafting: insights from serial cardiac MRI. Heart 2011; 97 (10) 810-816
- 14 Mauermann E, Bolliger D, Fassl J. , et al. Postoperative high-sensitivity troponin and its association with 30-day and 12-month, all-cause mortality in patients undergoing on-pump cardiac surgery. Anesth Analg 2017; 125 (04) 1110-1117
- 15 Mehdiani A, Akhyari P, Kamiya H. , et al. Prognostic value of the new high sensitive cardiac troponin T assay (hs-cTnT) after coronary artery bypass grafting. Acta Cardiol 2017; 72 (03) 276-283
- 16 Wang TK, Stewart RA, Ramanathan T, Kang N, Gamble G, White HD. Diagnosis of MI after CABG with high-sensitivity troponin T and new ECG or echocardiogram changes: relationship with mortality and validation of the universal definition of MI. Eur Heart J Acute Cardiovasc Care 2013; 2 (04) 323-333
- 17 Nashef SA, Roques F, Michel P, Gauducheau E, Lemeshow S, Salamon R. European system for cardiac operative risk evaluation (EuroSCORE). Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 1999; 16 (01) 9-13
- 18 Mejía OA, Lisboa LA, Puig LB. , et al. InsCor: a simple and accurate method for risk assessment in heart surgery. Arq Bras Cardiol 2013; 100 (03) 246-254
- 19 Domanski MJ, Mahaffey K, Hasselblad V. , et al. Association of myocardial enzyme elevation and survival following coronary artery bypass graft surgery. JAMA 2011; 305 (06) 585-591
- 20 Levey AS, Stevens LA, Schmid CH. , et al; CKD-EPI (Chronic Kidney Disease Epidemiology Collaboration). A new equation to estimate glomerular filtration rate. Ann Intern Med 2009; 150 (09) 604-612
- 21 Eigel P, van Ingen G, Wagenpfeil S. Predictive value of perioperative cardiac troponin I for adverse outcome in coronary artery bypass surgery. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2001; 20 (03) 544-549
- 22 Klatte K, Chaitman BR, Theroux P. , et al; GUARDIAN Investigators (The GUARD during Ischemia Against Necrosis). Increased mortality after coronary artery bypass graft surgery is associated with increased levels of postoperative creatine kinase-myocardial band isoenzyme release: results from the GUARDIAN trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 2001; 38 (04) 1070-1077
- 23 Costa MA, Carere RG, Lichtenstein SV. , et al. Incidence, predictors, and significance of abnormal cardiac enzyme rise in patients treated with bypass surgery in the arterial revascularization therapies study (ARTS). Circulation 2001; 104 (22) 2689-2693
- 24 Lurati Buse GA, Koller MT, Grapow M, Bolliger D, Seeberger M, Filipovic M. The prognostic value of troponin release after adult cardiac surgery - a meta-analysis. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2010; 37 (02) 399-406
- 25 Petäjä L, Salmenperä M, Pulkki K, Pettilä V. Biochemical injury markers and mortality after coronary artery bypass grafting: a systematic review. Ann Thorac Surg 2009; 87 (06) 1981-1992
- 26 Domanski MJ. Prognostic implications of troponin T and creatine kinase-MB elevation after coronary artery bypass grafting. Am Heart J 2012; 164 (05) 636-637
- 27 Jaffe AS, Ravkilde J, Roberts R. , et al. It's time for a change to a troponin standard. Circulation 2000; 102 (11) 1216-1220
- 28 Morrow DA, Cannon CP, Jesse RL. , et al; National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry Laboratory Medicine Practice Guidelines: clinical characteristics and utilization of biochemical markers in acute coronary syndromes. Clin Chem 2007; 53 (04) 552-574
- 29 Alpert JS, Thygesen K, Antman E, Bassand JP. Myocardial infarction redefined--a consensus document of The Joint European Society of Cardiology/American College of Cardiology Committee for the redefinition of myocardial infarction. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000; 36 (03) 959-969
- 30 Mahaffey KW, Roe MT, Kilaru R. , et al. Creatine kinase-MB elevation after coronary artery bypass grafting surgery in patients with non-ST-segment elevation acute coronary syndromes predict worse outcomes: results from four large clinical trials. Eur Heart J 2007; 28 (04) 425-432