Symptoms Matter: A Symptomatic but Radiographically Elusive Ascending Aortic DissectionSource of Funding None.
29 November 2018 (online)
Symptoms attributable to a thoracic aortic aneurysm (TAA) are a separate indication for prophylactic repair, irrespective of aortic size. We present the case of a 56-year-old female with a history of a thoracic ascending aortic aneurysm (TAAA) and four other heart and arch vessel abnormalities who presented to us with chest pain radiating to her back. Computed Tomography and echocardiography showed no evidence of a dissection and revealed a maximal ascending aortic diameter of 4.2 cm. The patient subsequently underwent root-sparing ascending aortic and hemiarch replacement due to her threatening symptomatology. A focal dissection was discovered intraoperatively, resembling a similar case previously reported by our team.
- 1 Davies RR, Goldstein LJ, Coady MA. , et al. Yearly rupture or dissection rates for thoracic aortic aneurysms: simple prediction based on size. Ann Thorac Surg 2002; 73 (01) 17-27 , discussion 27–28
- 2 Zafar MA, Li Y, Rizzo JA. , et al. Height alone, rather than body surface area, suffices for risk estimation in ascending aortic aneurysm. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2018; 155 (05) 1938-1950
- 3 Coady MA, Rizzo JA, Hammond GL. , et al. What is the appropriate size criterion for resection of thoracic aortic aneurysms?. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1997; 113 (03) 476-491 , discussion 489–491
- 4 Krüger T, Forkavets O, Veseli K. , et al. Ascending aortic elongation and the risk of dissection. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2016; 50 (02) 241-247
- 5 Ziganshin BA, Elefteriades JA. Guilt by association: a paradigm for detection of silent aortic disease. Ann Cardiothorac Surg 2016; 5 (03) 174-187
- 6 Elefteriades JA, Tranquilli M, Darr U, Cardon J, Zhu BQ, Barrett P. Symptoms plus family history trump size in thoracic aortic aneurysm. Ann Thorac Surg 2005; 80 (03) 1098-1100
- 7 Wang L, Guo DC, Cao J. , et al. Mutations in myosin light chain kinase cause familial aortic dissections. Am J Hum Genet 2010; 87 (05) 701-707
- 8 Kuzmik GA, Sang AX, Cai G, Tranquilli M, Elefteriades JA. Respecting symptoms in thoracic aortic aneurysm management: a case of symptomatic necrotizing granulomatous aortitis. Int J Angiol 2012; 21 (03) 151-154