Multilevel Spinal Combined Subdural/Subarachnoid Hemorrhage Resulting in Paraplegia: An Unusual Complication of Kyphoplasty
28 March 2018
24 July 2018
01 February 2019 (eFirst)
Background Paraplegia due to spinal combined subdural/subarachnoid hemorrhage is an extremely rare complication following percutaneous spinal augmentation procedures.
Methods A 63-year-old male patient presented with severe neurologic decline (paraplegia with sensory and autonomic dysfunction) resulting from a multilevel spinal subarachnoid hemorrhage shortly after bilateral kyphoplasty.
Results Reduction of intrathecal pressure via multiple dural and arachnoidal incisions and removal of the hematoma resulted in a good neurologic recovery with surgical decompression even though evacuation was performed with a significant delay after the onset of neurologic worsening.
Conclusion Spinal augmentation procedures should only be performed in a setting where management of complications can also be diagnosed and performed. Robot-assisted or navigation-assisted pedicle perforation should be considered because complications can be reduced significantly.
- 1 Goz V, Errico TJ, Weinreb JH. , et al. Vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty: national outcomes and trends in utilization from 2005 through 2010. Spine J 2015; 15 (05) 959-965
- 2 Bula P, Lein T, Strassberger C, Bonnaire F. Balloon kyphoplasty in the treatment of osteoporotic vertebral fractures: indications - treatment strategy - complications [in German]. Z Orthop Unfall 2010; 148 (06) 646-656
- 3 Domenicucci M, Ramieri A, Paolini S. , et al. Spinal subarachnoid hematomas: our experience and literature review. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 2005; 147 (07) 741-750 ; discussion 750
- 4 Mattei TA, Rehman AA, Dinh DH. Acute spinal subdural hematoma after vertebroplasty: a case report emphasizing the possible etiologic role of venous congestion. Global Spine J 2015; 5 (05) e52-e58
- 5 Frager D, Zimmerman RD, Wisoff HS, Leeds NE. Spinal subarachnoid hematoma. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 1982; 3 (01) 77-79
- 6 Yaltirik K, Ashour AM, Reis CR, Özdoğan S, Atalay B. Vertebral augmentation by kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty: 8 years experience outcomes and complications. J Craniovertebr Junction Spine 2016; 7 (03) 153-160
- 7 Schatlo B, Martinez R, Alaid A. , et al. Unskilled unawareness and the learning curve in robotic spine surgery. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 2015; 157 (10) 1819-1823 ; discussion 1823
- 8 Ringel F, Stüer C, Reinke A. , et al. Accuracy of robot-assisted placement of lumbar and sacral pedicle screws: a prospective randomized comparison to conventional freehand screw implantation. Spine 2012; 37 (08) E496-E501