Continuous Suture Technique for Aortic Valve Replacement: Technical Considerations and Controversies
28 January 2019 (eFirst)
Continuous suture technique (CST) for aortic valve replacement (AVR) is a simple, secure, and fast surgical technique that has been shown to significantly decrease cross clamp time and cardiac bypass time, ultimately resulting in decreased myocardial ischemic injury, operation time, and hospital stay. However, previous studies have reported increased risk of periprosthetic regurgitation with CST for AVR. We describe our technique for AVR using CST in 100 patients with low complication rate and no perioperative paravalvular aortic insufficiency.
This research was supported (in whole or in part) by HCA Healthcare and/or an HCA Healthcare affiliated entity. The views expressed in this publication represent those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the official views of HCA Healthcare or any of its affiliated entities.
- 1 Choi JB, Kim JH, Park HK. , et al. Aortic valve replacement using continuous suture technique in patients with aortic valve disease. Korean J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2013; 46 (04) 249-255
- 2 Nair SK, Bhatnagar G, Valencia O, Chandrasekaran V. Effect of valve suture technique on incidence of paraprosthetic regurgitation and 10-year survival. Ann Thorac Surg 2015; 88: 747-748
- 3 Kitamura T, Edwards J, Miyaji K. Continuous suture technique for aortic valve replacement shortens cross-clamp and bypass times. Tex Heart Inst J 2017; 44 (06) 390-394
- 4 Qicai H, Zili C, Zhengfu H. , et al. Continuous-suture technique in aortic valve replacement. J Card Surg 2006; 21 (02) 178-181
- 5 Doty DB, Nelson RM. Aortic valve replacement: continuous-suture technique. J Card Surg 1986; 1 (04) 379-382
- 6 Hjelms E, Vilhelmsen R, Rygg IH. Continuous suture technique in prosthetic aortic valve replacement. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 1982; 23 (02) 145-148
- 7 Dhasmana JP, Blackstone EH, Kirklin JW, Kouchoukos NT. Factors associated with periprosthetic leakage following primary mitral valve replacement: with special consideration of the suture technique. Ann Thorac Surg 1983; 35 (02) 170-178