Influence of Offset on Hemodynamics of Intra-atrial Conduit Fontan's Procedure and Its Clinical ImplicationsFunding This research was supported by National Nature Science Foundation of China (grant number 81570281); the Science and Technology Commission of Shanghai Municipality (grant number 14411961600); the Fund of The Shanghai Committee of Science and Technology (grant number 15411964100) the Project was funded by Science and Technology Committee of Pudong District (grant number PKJ2015-Y01).
07 October 2018
04 December 2018
22 January 2019 (online)
Background The desirable distance, defined as offset, between the central line of the superior vena cava (SVC) and the intra-atrial conduit after an intra-atrial conduit (IAC) Fontan's procedure remained unclear. We compared the hemodynamic features using virtual surgery with different offset designs in our study.
Methods Three-dimensional models of IAC Fontan's procedure were reconstructed according to the magnetic resonance imagings (MRIs) of three patients, then four models for each patient with different offsets equaling 100, 67, 33, and 0% of the diameter of the IVC were reconstructed. Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) were performed in each model to predict the best hemodynamic features, including streamlines of blood flow, wall shear stress (WSS), energy loss (EL), and the hepatic flow distribution (HFD) ratio.
Results Comprehensive evaluation of WSS, EL, and HFD revealed than an offset of 33% presents the best hemodynamic performance among the three patients modeled. In patient A, an offset of 33% resulted in the best HFD (left pulmonary artery/right pulmonary artery [LPA/RPA] = 35/65%). In patient B, the best trade-off between HFD (35/65%), and WSS was achieved with an offset of 33%. In patient C, EL peaked at an offset of 0% and significantly dropped at an offset of 33% with a desirable HFD (60/40%).
Conclusions We verified that the offset distance influences hemodynamic performance in IAC Fontan's procedure. Considering several hemodynamic parameters, the best trade-offs between hemorheology, pulmonary perfusion, and energy efficiency were achieved at an offset of 33%. This distance should be taken into consideration and optimized during the surgical planning for the IAC Fontan's procedure.
- 1 McElhinney DB, Reddy VM, Moore P, Hanley FL. Revision of previous Fontan connections to extracardiac or intraatrial conduit cavopulmonary anastomosis. Ann Thorac Surg 1996; 62 (05) 1276-1282 , discussion 1283
- 2 Hong H, Dur O, Zhang H, Zhu Z, Pekkan K, Liu J. Fontan conversion templates: patient-specific hemodynamic performance of the lateral tunnel versus the intraatrial conduit with fenestration. Pediatr Cardiol 2013; 34 (06) 1447-1454
- 3 Hong H, Menon PG, Zhang H. , et al. Postsurgical comparison of pulsatile hemodynamics in five unique total cavopulmonary connections: identifying ideal connection strategies. Ann Thorac Surg 2013; 96 (04) 1398-1404
- 4 Khairy P, Fernandes SM, Mayer Jr. JE. , et al. Long-term survival, modes of death, and predictors of mortality in patients with Fontan surgery. Circulation 2008; 117 (01) 85-92
- 5 Pike NA, Vricella LA, Feinstein JA, Black MD, Reitz BA. Regression of severe pulmonary arteriovenous malformations after Fontan revision and “hepatic factor” rerouting. Ann Thorac Surg 2004; 78 (02) 697-699
- 6 d'Udekem Y, Iyengar AJ, Galati JC. , et al. Redefining expectations of long-term survival after the Fontan procedure: twenty-five years of follow-up from the entire population of Australia and New Zealand. Circulation 2014; 130 (11) (Suppl. 01) S32-S38
- 7 Celestin C, Guillot M, Ross-Ascuitto N, Ascuitto R. Computational fluid dynamics characterization of blood flow in central aorta to pulmonary artery connections: importance of shunt angulation as a determinant of shear stress-induced thrombosis. Pediatr Cardiol 2015; 36 (03) 600-615
- 8 Liu J, Sun Q, Qian Y, Hong H, Liu J. Numerical simulation and hemodynamic analysis of the modified Blalock-Taussig shunt. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2013; 2013: 707-710
- 9 Amodeo A, Grigioni M, Oppido G. , et al. The beneficial vortex and best spatial arrangement in total extracardiac cavopulmonary connection. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2002; 124 (03) 471-478
- 10 Zhu ZQ, Hong HF, Chen HW. , et al. Intra-atrial conduit Fontan procedure: indications, operative techniques, and clinical outcomes. Ann Thorac Surg 2015; 99 (01) 156-161
- 11 Sun Q, Liu J, Qian Y. , et al. Computational haemodynamic analysis of patient-specific virtual operations for total cavopulmonary connection with dual superior venae cavae. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2014; 45 (03) 564-569
- 12 Liu Y, Pekkan K, Jones SC, Yoganathan AP. The effects of different mesh generation methods on computational fluid dynamic analysis and power loss in total cavopulmonary connection. J Biomech Eng 2004; 126 (05) 594-603
- 13 Zhang W, Liu J, Sun Q, Hong H, Wang Q, Yan Q. Long-term hemodynamic effects of artery banding on patient-specific pulmonary flow. 2014 7th International Conference on BioMedical Engineering and Informatics (BMEI 2014), 2015; 451–5
- 14 Liu JL, Zhang WM, Yan Q, Hong HF, Liu JF. Effects of band position on hemodynamics of pulmonary artery: a numerical study of patient-specific virtual procedure. IFMBE Proc 2015; 51: 893-896 doi:https://org/10.1007/978-3-319-19387-8_218
- 15 Zhang W, Liu J, Yan Q, Liu J, Hong H, Mao L. Computational haemodynamic analysis of left pulmonary artery angulation effects on pulmonary blood flow. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2016; 23 (04) 519-525
- 16 Lee JR, Lee C, Chang JM, Bae EJ, Noh CI. Modified extracardiac Fontan in a patient with separate hepatic venous drainage. Ann Thorac Surg 2002; 73 (03) 992-993
- 17 Kawahira Y, Nishigaki K, Ueno T. Extracardiac Fontan procedure bridging the vertebra for apico-caval juxtaposition. Ann Thorac Surg 2006; 82 (01) 350-352
- 18 Sughimoto K, Aoki M, Naito Y, Fujiwara T. Novel modification of total cavopulmonary connection for isolated hepatic vein. Ann Thorac Surg 2009; 88 (04) 1367-1370
- 19 Morizumi S, Kato H, Kanemoto S. , et al. Appropriate route selection for extracardiac total cavopulmonary connection in apicocaval juxtaposition. Ann Thorac Surg 2012; 94 (01) 179-184
- 20 Stamm C, Friehs I, Mayer Jr. JE. , et al; Del Nido PJ. Long-term results of the lateral tunnel Fontan operation. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2001; 121 (01) 28-41
- 21 Giannico S, Hammad F, Amodeo A. , et al. Clinical outcome of 193 extracardiac Fontan patients: the first 15 years. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006; 47 (10) 2065-2073
- 22 Mitchell ME, Ittenbach RF, Gaynor JW, Wernovsky G, Nicolson S, Spray TL. Intermediate outcomes after the Fontan procedure in the current era. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2006; 131 (01) 172-180
- 23 Jacobs ML, Pelletier GJ, Pourmoghadam KK. , et al. Protocols associated with no mortality in 100 consecutive Fontan procedures. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2008; 33 (04) 626-632
- 24 Iacona GM, Giamberti A, Abella RF. , et al. Fontan operation for patients with complex anatomy: the intra-atrial conduit technique. World J Pediatr Congenit Heart Surg 2012; 3 (02) 251-254
- 25 Marsden AL, Bernstein AJ, Reddy VM. , et al. Evaluation of a novel Y-shaped extracardiac Fontan baffle using computational fluid dynamics. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2009; 137 (02) 394-403.e2
- 26 Yang W, Vignon-Clementel IE, Troianowski G, Reddy VM, Feinstein JA, Marsden AL. Hepatic blood flow distribution and performance in conventional and novel Y-graft Fontan geometries: a case series computational fluid dynamics study. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2012; 143 (05) 1086-1097
- 27 Cunningham KS, Gotlieb AI. The role of shear stress in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis. Lab Invest 2005; 85 (01) 9-23
- 28 Lambert E, d'Udekem Y, Cheung M. , et al. Sympathetic and vascular dysfunction in adult patients with Fontan circulation. Int J Cardiol 2013; 167 (04) 1333-1338
- 29 Dasi LP, Whitehead K, Pekkan K. , et al. Pulmonary hepatic flow distribution in total cavopulmonary connections: extracardiac versus intracardiac. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2011; 141 (01) 207-214
- 30 Soerensen DD, Pekkan K, de Zélicourt D. , et al. Introduction of a new optimized total cavopulmonary connection. Ann Thorac Surg 2007; 83 (06) 2182-2190