Feasibility Investigation of Ipsilateral Reoperations by Thoracoscopy for Major Lung Resection
31 July 2018
28 January 2019
28 March 2019 (online)
Background Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) has become the preferred approach for minimizing harm from thoracic operations. There is no report, however, which has discussed the feasibility of VATS in ipsilateral reoperation of major lung resection.
Methods The present study included patients who had undergone ipsilateral reoperation of major lung resection by VATS from October 2009 to May 2017. Referring clinical data were recruited for analysis.
Results Fourteen patients were recruited in the present study, including nine patients who underwent lobectomy and five who underwent segmentectomy during the second operation. Different hila were found in 6 patients, and pleural adhesions appeared in 10 patients. The average intraoperative blood loss was 203.6 ± 121.7 mL, and the mean operating room time was 2.2 ± 0.5 hours. There were no intraoperative deaths, and only one patient required conversion to thoracotomy. The average drainage time was 5.9 ± 4.6, and the mean hospital stay was 6.7 ± 4.2 days.
Conclusion Though it is technically demanding to safely handle the changed hilum structure caused by the last operation, major lung resection by VATS is feasible for ipsilateral reoperation in appropriate candidates.
* Both authors contributed equally to this work.
- 1 Gonzalez-Rivas D, Delgado M, Fieira E, Fernandez R. Double sleeve uniportal video-assisted thoracoscopic lobectomy for non-small cell lung cancer. Ann Cardiothorac Surg 2014; 3 (02) E2
- 2 Santambrogio L, Cioffi U, De Simone M, Rosso L, Ferrero S, Giunta A. Video-assisted sleeve lobectomy for mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the left lower lobar bronchus: a case report. Chest 2002; 121 (02) 635-636
- 3 Augustin F, Maier H, Lucciarini P, Bodner J, Klotzner S, Schmid T. Extended minimally invasive lung resections: VATS bilobectomy, bronchoplasty, and pneumonectomy. Langenbecks Arch Surg 2016; 401 (03) 341-348
- 4 Gonzalez-Rivas D, Yang Y, Sekhniaidze D. , et al. Uniportal video-assisted thoracoscopic bronchoplastic and carinal sleeve procedures. J Thorac Dis 2016; 8 (Suppl. 02) S210-S222
- 5 Handy Jr JRJ, Asaph JW, Douville EC, Ott GY, Grunkemeier GL, Wu Y. Does video-assisted thoracoscopic lobectomy for lung cancer provide improved functional outcomes compared with open lobectomy?. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2010; 37 (02) 451-455
- 6 Hanna WC, de Valence M, Atenafu EG. , et al. Is video-assisted lobectomy for non-small-cell lung cancer oncologically equivalent to open lobectomy?. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2013; 43 (06) 1121-1125
- 7 Paul S, Altorki NK, Sheng S. , et al. Thoracoscopic lobectomy is associated with lower morbidity than open lobectomy: a propensity-matched analysis from the STS database. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2010; 139 (02) 366-378
- 8 Komatsu K, Fujii A, Higami T. Haemostatic fleece (TachoComb) to prevent intrapleural adhesions after thoracotomy: a rat model. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2007; 55 (06) 385-390
- 9 Izumi Y, Takahashi Y, Kohno M, Nomori H. Cross-linked poly(gamma-glutamic acid) attenuates pleural and chest wall adhesions in a mouse thoracotomy model. Eur Surg Res 2012; 48 (02) 93-98
- 10 Omasa M, Date H, Takamochi K, Suzuki K, Miyata Y, Okada M. Completion lobectomy after radical segmentectomy for pulmonary malignancies. Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 2016; 24 (05) 450-454
- 11 Pettiford BL, Schuchert MJ, Abbas G. , et al. Anterior minithoracotomy: a direct approach to the difficult hilum for upper lobectomy, pneumonectomy, and sleeve lobectomy. Ann Surg Oncol 2010; 17 (01) 123-128
- 12 Alpert JB, Godoy MC, Degroot PM, Truong MT, Ko JP. Imaging the post-thoracotomy patient: anatomic changes and postoperative complications. Radiol Clin North Am 2014; 52 (01) 85-103
- 13 Samson P, Guitron J, Reed MF, Hanseman DJ, Starnes SL. Predictors of conversion to thoracotomy for video-assisted thoracoscopic lobectomy: a retrospective analysis and the influence of computed tomography-based calcification assessment. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2013; 145 (06) 1512-1518
- 14 Flores RM, Ihekweazu U, Dycoco J. , et al. Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) lobectomy: catastrophic intraoperative complications. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2011; 142 (06) 1412-1417
- 15 Whitson BA, Groth SS, Duval SJ, Swanson SJ, Maddaus MA. Surgery for early-stage non-small cell lung cancer: a systematic review of the video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery versus thoracotomy approaches to lobectomy. Ann Thorac Surg 2008; 86 (06) 2008-2016 , discussion 2016–2018
- 16 Yang SM, Hsu HH, Chen JS. Recent advances in surgical management of early lung cancer. J Formos Med Assoc 2017; 116 (12) 917-923
- 17 Fan J, Yao J, Wang Q, Chang Z. Safety and feasibility of uniportal video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery for locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Dis 2016; 8 (12) 3543-3550
- 18 Nakajima T, Watanabe A, Nakazawa J, Higami T. Transmanubrial approach with video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery for left superior sulcus tumour with dense adhesion after replacement of descending thoracic aorta. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2012; 14 (06) 906-908
- 19 Huang J, Xu X, Chen H. , et al. Feasibility of complete video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery following neoadjuvant therapy for locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Dis 2013; 5 (Suppl. 03) S267-S273
- 20 Li Y, Wang J, Yang F. , et al. Indications for conversion of thoracoscopic to open thoracotomy in video-assisted thoracoscopic lobectomy. ANZ J Surg 2012; 82 (04) 245-250
- 21 Lang G, Csekeö A, Stamatis G. , et al. Efficacy and safety of topical application of human fibrinogen/thrombin-coated collagen patch (TachoComb) for treatment of air leakage after standard lobectomy. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2004; 25 (02) 160-166
- 22 Anegg U, Lindenmann J, Matzi V, Smolle J, Maier A, Smolle-Jüttner F. Efficiency of fleece-bound sealing (TachoSil) of air leaks in lung surgery: a prospective randomised trial. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2007; 31 (02) 198-202
- 23 Marta GM, Facciolo F, Ladegaard L. , et al. Efficacy and safety of TachoSil® versus standard treatment of air leakage after pulmonary lobectomy. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2010; 38 (06) 683-689
- 24 Baysungur V, Tezel C, Ergene G. , et al. The autologous pleural buttressing of staple lines in surgery for bullous lung disease. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2010; 38 (06) 679-682
- 25 Malapert G, Hanna HA, Pages PB, Bernard A. Surgical sealant for the prevention of prolonged air leak after lung resection: meta-analysis. Ann Thorac Surg 2010; 90 (06) 1779-1785