Subscribe to RSS
Surgical Treatment of Posterior Communicating Artery Aneurysms: Hints and Precautions for Young Cerebrovascular Surgeons
04 July 2018
17 October 2018
26 March 2019 (online)
Background In spite of the advent of neurointerventional treatment, different clinical and anatomical features are still strong indications for clipping of posterior communicating artery (PComA) aneurysms. But the experience of young neurosurgeons is increasingly limited, and therefore providing technical operative guidelines is a fundamental prerequisite to achieve the best aneurysm exclusion and avoid perioperative complications.
Study Objective We describe a technical algorithm we use to teach young neurosurgeons how to approach carotid aneurysms that may help them develop a procedural memory and thus perform an efficient and safe surgery.
Material and Methods We reviewed our last 10 years of institutional experience of > 150 cases of clipping ruptured and unruptured PComA aneurysms, analyzing our technical refinements and the difficulties in teaching residents and young neurosurgeons how to establish fundamental key points and design a didactic algorithm that includes operative instructions and safety rules.
Results We recognized seven pragmatic technical key points regarding craniotomy, cisternostomy, proximal and distal control, aneurysm neck dissection, preservation of neurovascular structures, and clipping to use in a didactic algorithm for teaching residents and as operative instructions for inexperienced neurosurgeons.
Conclusion In the setting of clipping PComA aneurysms, respect for surgical rules is of paramount importance to perform an efficacious and safe procedure and ensure the best aneurysm exclusion and preservation of neurovascular structures.
- 1 Golshani K, Ferrell A, Zomorodi A, Smith TP, Britz GW. A review of the management of posterior communicating artery aneurysms in the modern era. Surg Neurol Int 2010; 1: 88
- 2 Yasargil MG. Carotid-Posterior Communicating Artery Aneurysms. Microneurosurgery 1984; 2: 72-76
- 3 Kamide T, Burkhardt JK, Tabani H, Safaee MM, Lawton MT. Preoperative prediction of the necessity for anterior clinoidectomy during microsurgical clipping of ruptured posterior communicating artery aneurysms. World Neurosurg 2018; 109: e493-e501
- 4 Kuzmik GA, Bulsara KR. Microsurgical clipping of true posterior communicating artery aneurysms. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 2012; 154 (09) 1707-1710
- 5 Piazza M, Nayak N, Ali Z. , et al. Trends in resident operative teaching opportunities for treatment of intracranial aneurysms. World Neurosurg 2017; 103: 194-200
- 6 Rabinstein AA, Lanzino G. Aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage: unanswered questions. Neurosurg Clin N Am 2018; 29 (02) 255-262
- 7 Sturiale CL, De Waure C, Della Pepa GM. , et al. Endovascular treatment of the posterior cerebral artery aneurysms: single-center experience and a systematic review. World Neurosurg 2016; 91: 154-162