Intracranial Acute Subdural Hematoma Following Spinal Anesthesia: Our Experience with Six Patients
30 June 2018
17 October 2018
29 August 2019 (online)
Objective To describe our experience with the occurrence of intracranial acute subdural hematoma (ASDH) following spinal anesthesia.
Patients and Methods We reviewed our records from 2010 to 2017 to detect cases of nontraumatic ASDH following spinal anesthesia. All cases were analyzed for the etiological factors, time lag between the procedure and hematoma diagnosis, treatment, and outcome.
Results Of 329 cases of nontraumatic ASDH, we identified 6 patients whose spontaneous ASDH developed following spinal anesthesia. All our patients were obstetrical and received spinal anesthesia for delivery. Patient ages ranged from 21 to 34 years. Two patients presented with deterioration of consciousness a few hours after delivery. Three patients presented with persistent headache and lethargy days after delivery. One patient presented 3 days after delivery with severe deterioration of consciousness. All patients had undergone surgical evacuation of a hematoma. Five patients recovered and one patient died 2 days after surgery. Records showed none of the six patients had coagulopathy or any other blood disorder.
Conclusion Although uncommon, intracranial ASDH should be considered in patients following spinal anesthesia, especially those with a prolonged headache after the procedure.
- 1 Vaughan DJA, Stirrup CA, Robinson PN. Cranial subdural haematoma associated with dural puncture in labour. Br J Anaesth 2000; 84 (04) 518-520
- 2 Acharya R, Chhabra SS, Ratra M, Sehgal AD. Cranial subdural haematoma after spinal anaesthesia. Br J Anaesth 2001; 86 (06) 893-895
- 3 Arnold PM, Christiano LD, Klemp JA, Anderson KK. Nontraumatic spontaneous acute subdural hematoma in identical teenage twins 1 year apart. Pediatr Emerg Care 2011; 27 (07) 649-651
- 4 Avis SP. Nontraumatic acute subdural hematoma. a case report and review of the literature. Am J Forensic Med Pathol 1993; 14 (02) 130-134
- 5 Scott DB, Hibbard BM. Serious non-fatal complications associated with extradural block in obstetric practice. Br J Anaesth 1990; 64 (05) 537-541
- 6 Bisinotto FM, Dezena RA, Fabri DC, Abud TM, Canno LH. Intracranial subdural hematoma: a rare complication following spinal anesthesia: case report. Rev Bras Anestesiol 2012; 62 (01) 88-95
- 7 Velarde CA, Zuniga RE, Leon RF, Abram SE. Cranial nerve palsy and intracranial subdural hematoma following implantation of intrathecal drug delivery device. Reg Anesth Pain Med 2000; 25 (01) 76-78
- 8 Franksson C, Gordh T. Headache after spinal anesthesia and a technique for lessening its frequency. Acta Chir Scand 1946; 94 (05) 443-454
- 9 Mantia AM. Clinical report of the occurrence of an intracerebral hemorrhage following post-lumbar puncture headache. Anesthesiology 1981; 55 (06) 684-685
- 10 Cantais E, Behnamou D, Petit D, Palmier B. Acute subdural hematoma following spinal anesthesia with a very small spinal needle. Anesthesiology 2000; 93 (05) 1354-1356
- 11 Park IB, Moon SY, Kim YY, Kwon YE, Lee JH. Acute-on-chronic subdural hematoma by spinal anesthesia in a patient with undiagnosed chronic subdural hematoma. A case report-. Korean J Anesthesiol 2011; 61 (01) 75-78
- 12 Gass H, Goldstein AS, Ruskin R, Leopold NA. Chronic postmyelogram headache. Isotopic demonstration of dural leak and surgical cure. Arch Neurol 1971; 25 (02) 168-170
- 13 Sharma S, Halliwell R, Dexter M, Mudaliar Y, Yee K. Acute subdural haematoma in the presence of an intrathecal catheter placed for the prevention of post-dural puncture headache. Anaesth Intensive Care 2010; 38 (05) 939-941
- 14 Ramos-Aparici R, Segura-Pastor D, Edo-Cebollada L, Vila-Sánchez M. Acute subdural hematoma after spinal anesthesia in an obstetric patient. J Clin Anesth 2008; 20 (05) 376-378
- 15 Amorim JA, Remígio DS, Damázio Filho O, de Barros MA, Carvalho VN, Valença MM. Intracranial subdural hematoma post-spinal anesthesia: report of two cases and review of 33 cases in the literature. Rev Bras Anestesiol 2010; 60 (06) 620-629 , 344–349
- 16 Zeidan A, Farhat O, Maaliki H, Baraka A. Does postdural puncture headache left untreated lead to subdural hematoma? Case report and review of the literature. Int J Obstet Anesth 2006; 15 (01) 50-58
- 17 Hagino T, Ochiai S, Watanabe Y. , et al. Acute onset of intracranial subdural hemorrhage five days after spinal anesthesia for knee arthroscopic surgery: a case report. J Med Case Reports 2012; 6: 75